Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

what's weird for me is both on Sunday at home (7/22) and on Thursday's practice round at True Blue (7/26) we went off the back nine first.
both of those rounds i started off horribly and ended up +6 on that first nine.
and then something clicked and i went -2 on the second nine both of those days. the only difference being par at the respective courses...

my home course is a par 71...i went 42/33
True Blue is par 72...i went 41/35

up until those 2 rounds, i have never shot under par, not even on nine holes. so that is one of my goals that i can etch out now.
next goal is to shoot par for 18 holes.
after that, it will be under par for 18 holes. i hope to do it by the end of the season. with milk!
That is an awesome goal! I think I may steal that too!

what's weird for me is both on Sunday at home (7/22) and on Thursday's practice round at True Blue (7/26) we went off the back nine first.
both of those rounds i started off horribly and ended up +6 on that first nine.
and then something clicked and i went -2 on the second nine both of those days. the only difference being par at the respective courses...

my home course is a par 71...i went 42/33
True Blue is par 72...i went 41/35

up until those 2 rounds, i have never shot under par, not even on nine holes. so that is one of my goals that i can etch out now.
next goal is to shoot par for 18 holes.
after that, it will be under par for 18 holes. i hope to do it by the end of the season. with milk!

You'll do it Tyno! What do you think it is? Just mental or maybe more you need to warm up more?

Tyler I am aiming to shoot even par for 18 by the end of the season as well. I thought I had a great chance at doing it Sunday when I was even par thru 9 and was playing great golf. Just a couple of bad putts that I didn't judge the speed well cost me 3 extra strokes on the back and of course missed the 5 foot birdie on 18. I think if my putting continues to improve as it has I should have no problem doing it. Best of luck to ya buddy!

You are seriously Lee Westwood. Tee to green, very solid, but that flat stick is where you need to focus. I think you read too much break, simple as that. Then again, I didn't make much so what do I know?

I like those goals Tyler and Bradd and believe they are definitely achievable for both of you this year.

The biggest thing I took away from the Morgan Cup about my golf game is confidence. Sure, I had a few stray shots over the course of 5 days, but overall I played extremely well and think I exceeded my own expectations.

Dealing with the pressure of the first tee, tight matches and being able to execute is something that I will really be able to build on as I had doubts in my ability coming into this. I now believe that I can go out there and shoot 70's on a consistent basis and I am lucky that I can already start the prep work for the next Morgan Cup. There will not be any swing changes, just play a ton more golf, improve as a ball striker, and learn to think my way around the course better.

Cookie, you seem to play better under pressure. No joke.

Good stuff Cookie. You should be able to take a lot away from this event. On Sunday you shot 40 on the front and were what, 2 over on the back is all at hole 16? That is very solid!

I hear what some of you are saying, I've got no desire to be on a golf course for a few days. Couple that with chunky giving me whatever sickness he had and I'm out for a few days. The cup may be over but the goal of getting to sub 10 handicap is still burning strong, I will get there by the end of this year. More than anything the past few months have taught me that golf isn't about hitting the ball as far as possible but instead hitting it where I want. I've started playing holes backwards from the green, ie what gives me a good shot into the green instead of hammering away and hoping for the best result. I shot my best round ever last week and keeping that momentum trending is proof that thinking outplays distance.

Cookie, you seem to play better under pressure. No joke.

Thanks man, was weird how that worked out. When Chunky needed me in our match, I seemed to come through most of the time. Not sure where that came from to be honest.

Good stuff Cookie. You should be able to take a lot away from this event. On Sunday you shot 40 on the front and were what, 2 over on the back is all at hole 16? That is very solid!

Thanks Jake! I still had a few blowup holes but was able to grind out a bunch of pars just doing the FW & GIR thing. Became pretty evident to me that whether it is match or stroke play, GIR's will yield pretty good results typically. Definitely has me wanting to consistently improve upon that and get up into the 75% (or better) instead of the 40% where I usually am.

Good plan, Danny. I think I realized that it doesn't always matter how well you hit all your shots, but how you get the ball in the hole fastest. Watching you showed me that any hole can still produce a par.

Cookie,

Do you think your preperation came to fruition in SC? I guess what I mean is did you see the results you were hoping for with the work you put in?

Ps I agree about the FIR and then GIR, I have been working really hard on getting more GIRs

Good plan, Danny. I think I realized that it doesn't always matter how well you hit all your shots, but how you get the ball in the hole fastest. Watching you showed me that any hole can still produce a par.

Haha, I'll never be the best driver of the ball nor will I always hit greens in regulation but the day I quit scrambling my butt off to save par is the day I stop playing golf. I used play for bogey, not anymore.

Yea man. We are pretty similar in that regard. You definitley have it going better than me right now, but I like to see that it's possible. Good wedges and hot putters rule! Mix in a few holes played the right way and you're right there.

Cookie,

Do you think your preperation came to fruition in SC? I guess what I mean is did you see the results you were hoping for with the work you put in?

Ps I agree about the FIR and then GIR, I have been working really hard on getting more GIRs

Yes, most definitely it did. I played better there than I had been back home. I think a small part of that is course conditions and having consistently good lies upon finding the FW but the larger part may have just been the focus. When my focus strayed in SC, I hit some fat shots that we should see in the coverage - but when I really kept my head in the game I played about as well as I possibly could.

Yea man. We are pretty similar in that regard. You definitley have it going better than me right now, but I like to see that it's possible. Good wedges and hot putters rule! Mix in a few holes played the right way and you're right there.

Hogwash! Dude we could play a match 100 times and I bet we split even. Man I hope the video goes up soon because there are some great shots from all 3 of us in that match.

I suppose you're right. Yea there were some great shots. Yorkem throwing moonballs up 15 stories was impressive and once he got that driver handled he was hitting the ball too far for me to think about keeping up with.

It's a deal!

Sharing that round with you and Yorkem was so freaking cool. We got to go out there and showed what a few high ballers could do when matched together. We all sort of fell apart and then came back at some point, but we all just left everything we had on True Blue that day. I still can't believe how you can just get the freaking ball in the hole. Jeebus dude. I'd buy three of those putters for insurance if I was you.

Playing with you guys was a complete blast for me. You guys played so well all day, and you were both draining putts like mad. I know we all fell apart for a little bit in the middle, but I think it was sheer exhaustion that caused us to lose focus because Saturday was such a killer of a day.

I suppose you're right. Yea there were some great shots. Yorkem throwing moonballs up 15 stories was impressive and once he got that driver handled he was hitting the ball too far for me to think about keeping up with.

If only I could have found it before we made the turn. It would have made my day a little bit easier. I can't believe how much better you guys both played compared to when we played in May at the outing. You should both be really proud of that.

Thanks, yorkie! I think we eventually all just fed off each other and it showed. There were more ups and downs in that match than I've ever seen.

thanks guys. i'm positive that i can do it, but i just tend not to think about it or work on it as much...rather, i just let it happen.
in only a few years, i've been able to get down to a single digit hdcp. of course it's a goal of everyone to do so...but i just let it happen on it's own. i just played golf, read some magazines, learned a lot more about the game and clubs and the swing and it all just started to come together in the last half year or so...

with shooting par or better...for me it's about getting rid of those pesky 3 bangers and making more birdie putts. i tend to minimize mistakes and par lots of holes, but i don't throw up that many birdies consistently. it's also about playing more 18 hole rounds...i think that's what made the difference this year for me. i'm a 9 hole golfer because of my work schedule. but being put to the test for the MC2, i went out and played some 36 hole days and just grinded it out. i have full confidence in myself to leave work right now and shoot par, so it's not a mental thing at all. it will come...

I don't like the tone of those posts Yorkem, too many positive vibes about hawks game on Sunday.

Glad you guys enjoyed it tho, can't wait to see the coverage.

You guys can stop prepping now, the MC is over. If you are prepping now youre doing it wrong. :alien:

You guys can stop prepping now, the MC is over. If you are prepping now youre doing it wrong. :alien:

Team Hackers is already prepping for next year! ha

I need to prep for the AC Tour Van stop. I'm taking down Buck.

I need to prep for the AC Tour Van stop. I'm taking down Buck.

Im just hoping to break 100 and hit something over 200 yards since I dont think I did that all weekend at the outing lol. Remember, dont let Buck hit your clubs. Its the only rule of playing golf with Buck.

Back