Most forgiving 3 wood for a mid-high handicap

I assume the 3-wood for you is a distance-eater. You probably aren't going to be shooting into greens with it. Try skipping it and buying a 5-wood. You won't get that much less distance, and you will hit many more good shots up the fairway with it.
That's my current approach. A well-struck 5 wood goes a lot further than a duffed/topped 3 wood.

I know a few people have already said it, but I think you can't get better value and performance (and most of all forgiveness) then the Callaway Epic Flash. I have not hit the Sub Zero, and hear they are good too, but know how good the Epic Flash has been for me.

Also, something to consider, I think that shaft choice can often be as important in a fairway then anything else. Both for performance and forgiveness. If you plan to hit balls off the ground at all, opting for a shaft with a bit more launch and spin can actually really help you. I think people get so focused on the distance of low launch/low spin, that they forget that getting the ball up and off the turf on the fairway woods is a good thing. Particularly if you want the club to go a specific distance, or fill a certain gap. If you launch low and spin low, conditions could impact your roll out quite a bit and be the difference between stopping where you want it, or rolling over the green.

Another vote for the Cleveland Launcher HB FW. I also play the Cleveland HB Halo #2 16* hybrid in place of a FW sometimes.

Another vote for the Cleveland Launcher HB FW. I also play the Cleveland HB Halo #2 16* hybrid in place of a FW sometimes.
It’s the most forgiving fairway I think I’ve ever reviewed here.

Any appreciable difference between the hb launcher and the turbo launcher?

I have a 20 HC. I would give a serious look at the Cobra F9 3W. It comes with the "Even I can hit it off the deck" guarantee. Plus they're cheaper now that the SZ models have come out. Get yours in Arctic White today!

I have a the Cobra F9 Fairway 3 Wood, cut down to 42.5 inches, heavier weight installed and head picked out from Cobra to ensure that it comes in at the standard D0/1 Swingweight. It becomes a 4 wood and I can adjust the loft as needed. Try this...haha

This thread looks like a sales pitch for the Mav Max 3W. Disclaimer - I haven't hit it. Can't hit it because golf stores are "non-essential businesses".

I've had a total of three different 5 different 3W. A persimmon 3W; a Cobra Amp Cell that I really couldn't hit; A Cobra BioCell 3W that I could hit off the tee well; A Callaway Epic Flash 3+ that I could hit off the tee but not off the turf; and the Cobra F9 3W.

I'm 67 years old. I still manage a decent driver SS around 90 mph. It's adjustable. It's 14.5 degrees standard, but I have mine set at 15.5 degrees neutral. You can adjust it up to 16 degrees. It has draw bias adjustments that I don't use. The baffler rails on the bottom of the club really help with turf interaction. So don't rule this out even though it is last year's model. Cobra still has them in stock for $189 and free shipping.
I've been looking at a bio cell 3w, how was it off the deck?

I have a Cobra 3 wood and it has not been a success story, however my Cobra 5 wood has been sweet and most of the time right out there with the 3 wood. I dropped the loft on the 3 wood back to 4 to see how that will do, but for some reason my swing changes ever so slightly with that club.

Must be something I am seeing/doing that affects my swing with it. When I do contact it well, I smash it quite good, but contact it well doesn't happen very often. My 5 wood percentages are much higher.

I've been looking at a bio cell 3w, how was it off the deck?

I mostly used it at 13.5 degrees off the tee. However if you up the loft to 15 -16 degrees... The Biocell 5W was pretty sweet off the deck at 17 degrees so I can imagine the 3W at its highest loft would be fine.

I have a the Cobra F9 Fairway 3 Wood, cut down to 42.5 inches, heavier weight installed and head picked out from Cobra to ensure that it comes in at the standard D0/1 Swingweight. It becomes a 4 wood and I can adjust the loft as needed. Try this...haha
This is basically the route I’m taking. Currently using the F7, and waiting for my F9 to arrive.

I personally like the TM SIM Max.

I'm playing my EF SZ 3wd @ 42.5" and a D7 swingweight. I currently have the Aldila Rogue MAX 85x in it, but I have a HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.5 waiting to go in.

I personally like the TM SIM Max.
It’s a great fairway, I love mine, love love, but it’s not the most forgiving out there.

I’ll say it again.

For what the OP is asking for, it’ll be hard to beat the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo.
My buddy bought one of these and he loves it.

Are we talking Cleveland Launcher HB or, as noted in a later post, the Launcher HB Turbo?
Either.

High and straight, and cheap.

Back