Most Important/Favorite Cold Weather Golf Accessory?

As i've stated in the past in other threads about weather it's not the cold that gets to me during around a winter round, it's the wind. We played in 35* weather yesterday but the sun was out and it wasn't windy. It felt like a beautiful Spring day! I would say a nice light jacket that stops the wind would be my #1 item on the list followed by a headband to cover my ears. I'd get too hot wearing a winter hat covering my entire head for the whole round but some sort of ear protection would be perfect. Number 3 on the list would be those big, oversized mittens to keep my hands warm between shots.

Thought you’d say shorts ?

Ear protection is a must. I had vertigo a couple of years back and the doctor warned me about the wind and cold messing with your inner ear.

What kind do you use? Ear flaps or beanie/toque

Warm hat is key for me. I've seen many people who have good layers for cold/wind but wear a standard ball cap. They are usually cold. Lots of heat loss through the head. I have a water and wind proof fleece lined cap with pull down ear flaps that I use for cold weather golf. After that I like having layers that I can shed or add easily.
I have two hats like this, used to wear a hat with beanie over it, it’s so much better

My JetBlue account. ;)
Doesn’t help if you can’t fly out :D

I was expecting "cod weather? Hell no."
I would definitely rather play cod in the cold then golf ?
Plane ticket to Tucson? Come on down bud
You buying? Thanks bro!
Can’t pick one, need all 3
1. Quality base layer
2. Zippo hand warmers
3. Full head, neck, face mask

Why Zippo?

Thought you’d say shorts ?

What kind do you use? Ear flaps or beanie/toque

I have two hats like this, used to wear a hat with beanie over it, it’s so much better

Doesn’t help if you can’t fly out :D

I would definitely rather play cod in the cold then golf ?

You buying? Thanks bro!

Why Zippo?
Refillable, stay warm for 6-8 hours. My mittens have a zipper compartment to insert them.

It gets pretty cold up here in the Northeast, and as long as there isn't snow on the ground, you can still find me on the course.

Played in some cold and windy conditions and it got me thinking which accessory I couldn't go without.

While I would lean toward my cold weather gloves, I think the most important/favorite accessory that I have is my Puma Golf Neck Warmer - it converts into a face mask and covers my face and ears and it's been fantastic in keeping me warm during the winter.

I know most would say the gloves, but the hand warmers definitely help me in that area.
Playing in Western New York my group likes to play as late into the year as possible which for us is unless there is snow on the ground. I think pretty much everything which people have talked about is important and the big titleist mittens and a winter hat are a must. Our course sends carts out weather permitting until late in the year. A cart cover and heater are amazing and even when the wind picks up a little they make all the difference in the world. Oh and there is usually a bottle of Jack Fire available for our customary shots on #6 and #13. Cold weather golf isnt that bad and it beats not playing at all, especially with a good group of guys.

My hands are usually what get to me first so I’ll go with rain gloves. I’ll just keep them on the whole round.

I have some Puma pwrwarm Golf Pants that work pretty well when it gets cold. A vest would be a good addition too. Good call on wearing the buff/gaiter.

Not sure. Maybe?

I'll buy two, one of each colorway :love:. I'd love to have a THP beanie, its in style six months of the year around these parts!

Good base layers & rain pants. If I keep my legs warm, I’m usually in pretty good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played in 30 degree weather a few weeks ago and between layering up, cold weather/rain gloves, a hat and hand warmers in my pockets it wasn't the worst time. Hand warmers were awesome to have that day.
Sounds like you should have been playing ice hockey instead.... ;)

Reactions: KEV
Whiskey... I'll play in the bitter cold but the thought of one of those rounds sober doesn't seem fun..

Essentials for winter golf for me are

Base layer - I have a couple different thickness ones depending on how cold it is
Winter gloves
Beanie to keep my head warm

Sometimes I will also wear my waterproof trousers as they are pretty wind-proof and keep me warm as well

I play all winter and these Titleist Mitts are my essential since we push carts. I just drop a hand warmer in each mitt, don't bother with the zipper thing it has. That ski hat you can barely see is next.

gloves.jpg

This will sound funny, and I confess I have been laughed at for using this product, until those doing the laughing felt their ignorance in their cold hands.

Cold weather golfing is about keeping warm. This for me is especially true when trying to keep my hands warm. You just can't play golf with cold hands. Mis hits hurt, and cold hands rob the golfer of needed feels.

I read about this hand warming idea on a forum many years a go. I don't remember the poster's name to give him proper credit. Wish I did.

"Cooking Mittens" or "BBQ Mittens" how ever you want to call them. The thicker, the better. When not swinging a club, you wear them between shots. They keep the cold air off your hands. This is especially true if you are the one driving the cart, or trollying your bag. Even just carrying your bag.

I wear two golf gloves when playing in colder weather. They never come off during the round. The mittens fit easily over my golf gloves. The "mits" are also easy on, and easy off.

I know it sound corny wearing cooking mittens to help my hands stay warm. That said, I have never had to stand over a 3 foot putt for par, with icy, cold hands, coming down the back stretch, with a skin, or two on the line.

Plus, they are a cheap source of warmth @ $2/pair. .

Some sort of hat and gloves/hand warmers are a necessary combo or else you're going to have a bad time.

I play all winter and these Titleist Mitts are my essential since we push carts. I just drop a hand warmer in each mitt, don't bother with the zipper thing it has. That ski hat you can barely see is next.

View attachment 8918426

I have Cobra ones, such a great addition when walking,

Since I finally stopped carrying my clubs and went to a pushcart, it's the hand mitt attachment for my Bag Boy pushcart. I throw a couple of hand warmers in there and my hands are toasty for all those Minnesota cool spring and fall rounds.

Clicgear mitts without a doubt.
a4eb0c20567ccb978e87f13b3a95a65f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

My pair of Eddie Bauer long johns, very light but whatever they are made of I never feel the cold and win below my belt line. Add my Mizuno wind lite jacket and the cold and wind are impregnable.

Hot hands. But I put em in my shoes

Low 50s and a drizzly 15-20 mph wind isn't 'cold', but I could've used something on my ears this evening.

My skull cap is my favorite piece of my cold weather Arsenal. My mittens run a close second.

I learned a lot in this thread. I’ll keep it in mind on the one day a year it gets below 40 in Florida. ?

Back