Most OVERrated Golfer Ever

Tough crowd in here LOL

Lee Westwood. It's weird that overrated frequently comes with "rated really high, didn't win a major." It's hard to separate Fowler from how well he's financially leveraged his golf career relative to on-course success, so it's more an exposure to success ratio. Westwood's ascent to #1 felt anti-climatic given how much of it was powered by Tiger's fall. His bouncing back and forth between Euro and PGA Tours didn't help, because it meant when he reached world #1 he did it with little fanfare in the US. It was absolutely a case of "how did this guy get #1?" which, despite not really being accurate, is a huge part of why I can't really stop myself from considering him overrated.

Lee Westwood. It's weird that overrated frequently comes with "rated really high, didn't win a major." It's hard to separate Fowler from how well he's financially leveraged his golf career relative to on-course success, so it's more an exposure to success ratio. Westwood's ascent to #1 felt anti-climatic given how much of it was powered by Tiger's fall. His bouncing back and forth between Euro and PGA Tours didn't help, because it meant when he reached world #1 he did it with little fanfare in the US. It was absolutely a case of "how did this guy get #1?" which, despite not really being accurate, is a huge part of why I can't really stop myself from considering him overrated.
He and Monty come to mind for me a lot in this convo. Monty won a lot, but never the big ones he should have.

As for Rickie, off course doesn’t mean squat, he can’t win but once in a blue moon.

At least Lee does have 44 worldwide wins, Fowler won’t ever sniff that. But, I do agree Westy is overrated.

I’m good with not agreeing, it doesn’t impact my day even a hair. If you want to discount consistently winning and/or nearly winning majors because the lesser events are dominated week in and week out, that’s your choice. I think it’s nuts but what do I know

In my opinion, when comparing players, I would weight a major maybe 50% more than a lesser tournament. More so if it’s a tournament lacking most of the top players (Puerto Rico open for example), and less so if it’s a strong field tournament (WGC events). If that seems nuts to you, so be it. I’m curious what you think about Rory winning player of the year over Koepka last year.

In my opinion, when comparing players, I would weight a major maybe 50% more than a lesser tournament. More so if it’s a tournament lacking most of the top players (Puerto Rico open for example), and less so if it’s a strong field tournament (WGC events). If that seems nuts to you, so be it. I’m curious what you think about Rory winning player of the year over Koepka last year.
I think either Rory or Brooks was fine. The question isn’t who is the best golfer, it’s who is overrated. I can’t overrate a man who you can pencil into the top ten at any major and can close.

I think either Rory or Brooks was fine. The question isn’t who is the best golfer, it’s who is overrated. I can’t overrate a man who you can pencil into the top ten at any major and can close.

Whose overrated is directly related to whose a better golfer than who.

So wait, are you saying Brooks is a bad golfer?

Hes a great player, but I don’t think he’s as great as most people think. For example, I would rank guys like DJ, Speith, Day, and Scott above Koepka on a greatest of all time list which I think a lot of people would disagree with.

Hes a great player, but I don’t think he’s as great as most people think. For example, I would rank guys like DJ, Speith, Day, and Scott above Koepka on a greatest of all time list which I think a lot of people would disagree with.
I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but yes I disagree with a lot of that list. When was the last time Spieth was even relevant? I like him but he is overrated way more than Brooks. Heck, I’m not even a big Brooks fan but I’m defending his honor like he is my friends younger sister

I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but yes I disagree with a lot of that list. When was the last time Spieth was even relevant? I like him but he is overrated way more than Brooks. Heck, I’m not even a big Brooks fan but I’m defending his honor like he is my friends younger sister

Brooks is better than Spieth right now (in fact he’s better than all of them right now), but what Speith did early in his career is more impressive than anything Brooks has done. I’m kind of surprised you singled out Speith as I thought he’d be the least controversial person on the list. He has one less major than Brooks and four more PGA wins and has won more money on tour than Koepka despite being significantly younger.

Brooks is better than Spieth right now (in fact he’s better than all of them right now), but what Speith did early in his career is more impressive than anything Brooks has done. I’m kind of surprised you singled out Speith as I thought he’d be the least controversial person on the list. He has one less major than Brooks and four more PGA wins and has won more money on tour than Koepka despite being significantly younger.
I picked him because it’s a close debate but Jordan is done. And has been done. He had a great few years but plenty have. If Jordan isn’t overrated in your eyes, Brooks can’t either. Brooks is a top 5 player and is rated in the top 5. Where is the overrating?

I picked him because it’s a close debate but Jordan is done. And has been done. He had a great few years but plenty have. If Jordan isn’t overrated in your eyes, Brooks can’t either. Brooks is a top 5 player and is rated in the top 5. Where is the overrating?

Lol what? He's not overrated because of his OWGR - he's overrated because of how great people think his career has been.

Hal Sutton.

Yes, he won a PGA Championship and 14 titles, but he didn’t quite live up to being the “next Jack Nicklaus.”

Modern golfers, it has to be Rickie.

Lol what? He's not overrated because of his OWGR - he's overrated because of how great people think his career has been.
how do you reconcile this opinion with your opinion of Jordan? Age only?

The fact that in my eyes Jordan's had a better career than Koepka.
See, now that I respect the heck out of that answer. I’m happy to agree to disagree with someone who can say something like that without changing the subject! Cheers brother - I love some great banter about golf.

Bernhard Langer ?
Sure, he is making a killing on the senior circuit, but only 3 wins on the PGA tour, including 2 Masters.
There is this thing called the European Tour. The guys that play there are pretty good. That's where most of the top Europeans play most of their professional golf. Bernhard has 43 wins on the European Tour. He has 116 professional wins in all.

For the amount of hype surrounding her from the beginning, my vote is Michelle Wie.

Well if we’re talking about my fantasy golf team from the last 2 weeks, which is what’s really important here, it’s Rory. Love him but he’s killing me.

I’m saving this post for a time to be determined later......

I’m saving this post for a time to be determined later......

Yeah I mean he was a lot harsher than I ever am. I prefer to be the bucket of cold water, Gary is just mean.

The funny thing is, I want to see more weeks like this out of Koepka. Non-major, didn't have everything going, but still had a solid top 10 finish. Get that consistency up.

Back