Most OVERrated Golfer Ever

May be a year.....may be 3. May be longer.....but this post will be brought up again, no question.

Agreed. Pretty early to say someone with that much success is “Done.”

He is 26 not 46....

There is this thing called the European Tour. The guys that play there are pretty good. That's where most of the top Europeans play most of their professional golf. Bernhard has 43 wins on the European Tour. He has 116 professional wins in all.

That might have been true for many years, but not currently, right?

I’m saving this post for a time to be determined later......
I really hope I’m proven wrong because I really liked him and still kind of do (still enjoy listening to his process too). But I don’t see Jordan capturing what he had.

Tough crowd. Surprised we didn’t get any Kaymer votes.

Went from 170th in the world to 17th with three wins under S&T.
And then what happened and why did he abandon it to try and salvage his career?

He won 2 majors? No one who wins a US Open is overrated
I’m not saying he’s overrated, but I’m surprised his name didn’t pop up after he quickly rose to the top and then tumbled back down.

my first vote was Charles III.....then we go to Begay

And then what happened and why did he abandon it to try and salvage his career?
Why has Tiger gone thru 4 coaches, why did Rose drop Foley, why did Mickelson get a new coach-same for Fowler, Charles Howell, Lydia Ko etc.? Many of these players go thru plenty of coaches. Look at the stats and AB's best golf was under S&T.

Likeable as hell...so it pains me to say it - but Rickie jumps to mind quickly. Though you said EVER...so I'm not sure if that's true or if he's just the most current.

Why has Tiger gone thru 4 coaches, why did Rose drop Foley, why did Mickelson get a new coach-same for Fowler, Charles Howell, Lydia Ko etc.? Many of these players go thru plenty of coaches. Look at the stats and AB's best golf was under S&T.
And his worst.

Lee Westwood. It's weird that overrated frequently comes with "rated really high, didn't win a major." It's hard to separate Fowler from how well he's financially leveraged his golf career relative to on-course success, so it's more an exposure to success ratio. Westwood's ascent to #1 felt anti-climatic given how much of it was powered by Tiger's fall. His bouncing back and forth between Euro and PGA Tours didn't help, because it meant when he reached world #1 he did it with little fanfare in the US. It was absolutely a case of "how did this guy get #1?" which, despite not really being accurate, is a huge part of why I can't really stop myself from considering him overrated.

I mentioned Westwood in my post where I named Luke Donald as being most overrated. Both reached #1 without winning a major. But, Westwood clearly had more success.

And his worst.
Not sure what stats you are referring to but under S&T: 3 wins, 17th in the worked, 9th in FedEx standing 2007, Over $7million in earnings. There are plenty of golfers that would love to have those lousy stats in that short time period.

Freddie Couples

He can be listed here on wins alone maybe (because it seemed that he should have won a lot more) but I feel his total wins was greatly held down by his terribly bad back. It's hard to swing when your back is hurting, just look at Tiger.

Not sure what stats you are referring to but under S&T: 3 wins, 17th in the worked, 9th in FedEx standing 2007, Over $7million in earnings. There are plenty of golfers that would love to have those lousy stats in that short time period.
And then he fell to the bottom of the heap, while on S&T.

He can be listed here on wins alone maybe (because it seemed that he should have won a lot more) but I feel his total wins was greatly held down by his terribly bad back. It's hard to swing when your back is hurting, just look at Tiger.

I agree that he was limited by the balky back, but that doesn't give a pass for wins, unfortunately. There could be a separate thread for "popular golfers that were injured." Anthony Kim might even lead that list.

Here's an interesting spin on the question.

We are asked who the most Overrated Golfer is, but didn't specify whether or not they need to be touring. In which case...

Rick Shiels, by far. He has literally stopped playing competitive golf because he's incapable of stringing a round together, and I'm not even sure that he teaches lessons anymore, either. Yet, his YouTube channel is the most watched golf channel on YouTube, and he has nearly one million subscribers (myself, included). The fact that he's earned millions is pretty phenomenal, as well. And, I can basically guarantee that the guy will never be on any tour.

People flock to his channel for his reviews and insight, but it's plainly evident that he doesn't have the clout to justify the following, or his image.

Here's a guy that's found a great niche, and is capitalizing on it. But, he's definitely no "player".

Last edited:
Here's an interesting spin on the question.

We are asked who the most Overrated Golfer is, but didn't specify whether or not they need to be touring. In which case...

Rick Shiels, by far. He has literally stopped playing competitive golf because he's incapable of stringing a round together, and I'm not even sure that he teaches lessons anymore, either. Yet, his YouTube channel is the most watched golf channel on YouTube, and he has nearly one million subscribers (myself, included). The fact that he's earned millions is pretty phenomenal, as well. And, I can basically guarantee that the guy will never be on any tour.

People flock to his channel for his reviews and insight, but it's plainly evident that he doesn't have the clout to justify the following, or his image.

Here's a guy that's found a great niche, and is capitalizing on it. But, he's definitely no "player".

He can thump the ball though. Crossfield is more average. Lots of competition between them for their niche.

He can thump the ball though. Crossfield is more average. Lots of competition between them for their niche.
I definitely agree with the two of them competing for "the Niche". I feel that Shiels just edges by as more over-rated, simply because of the fact that MC actually did have some tour play, albeit brief.

Crossfield's videos bother me a little, too. It seems like his entourage reveres him as a Messiah, they all agree with him about everything. It's almost as though if they have a differing opinion from his, he's not going to sign their paycheck.

Last edited:
Back