Most tragic/worst TV show or Movie ending?

Guys in their 60s might say Brian’s Song

I am not quite there (56.5) but still get quite misty every time I watch it. And I have probably watched it at least 20 times through the years.

Something For Joey is another one that gets me every time.

For me it's LOST. Granted the show crapped the bed a few seasons before it ended, I still wish it ended differently.
LOST was such a letdown. They built the show up so much about the eventual ending and what it actually was and to give the fans what they did was just disheartening.

TV: Roseanne, Two and a Half Men, True Blood, Sopranos
Movies: Law Abiding Citizen and pretty much every M. Night Shyamalan movie

For me it's LOST. Granted the show crapped the bed a few seasons before it ended, I still wish it ended differently.
Oh man, they could have done so many incredible things with the various plot lines building out of that show.

Least satisfying ending in a movie: The Birds. They get in a car and drive away? And nothing is resolved?

Least satisfying in a Tv series: Twin Peaks. Awful in so many ways.

Most tragic movie ending: Chinatown. Absolutely, devastating: “Forget it, Jake, It’s Chinatown.”

Most tragic TV series ending: Newhart (joking< but it always deserves a mention in TV ending threads).

Avoiding spoilers but if anyone wants to discuss the details of any of these I'm always willing to kill time at work in my PM's :LOL:

Most tragic TV series ending: Hard to pick one, but the end of the first season of Broadchurch is a kick in the gut in so many ways. Kinda cheating here but the end of Serenity (which is the movie that ends Firefly the TV Series) they kill off a beloved character in the blink of an eye (classic Joss Whedon) and then don't give you really any time to process it because it's in the midst of a big fight. Actually makes sense narratively because that's exactly how the other characters are processing it, but it still hits hard.
Most tragic movie ending: Again hard to pick one, but for some reason Shutter Island is coming to mind. "Which would be worse? To live as a monster or to die as a good man?"
Worst TV series ending: Toss up for me with LOST, Game of Thrones, and How I Met Your Mother. All were wildly unsatisfying and/or inconsistent with what the show had built to that point, at least to some degree.
Worst movie ending: The Last Exorcism. Again because it was wildly inconsistent with the way the movie was constructed up until that point.

I don't think I ever actually watched the end of Game of Thrones, but it really didn't make many people happy did it..
The ending itself was not a bad end to the story IMO. The problem was how they told it. First the last season was 8 episodes instead of 13 for some reason. Second the season before the last season covered almost no ground whatsoever over it's 13 episodes and then they crammed 2 or 3 seasons worth of material into 8 episodes. This meant that the end just kind of came up out of nowhere.

IMO this is why GRR Martin has not finished the books. He knows he still needs to write 2 or 3 books to adequately tell the story and he doesn't want to do it anymore. He doesn't enjoy writing Game Of Thrones. Thus IMO we will never get the books and will just have to be satisfied with the 💩y way the show writers filled in his outline.

For me I will never get to the end of the show now, but I liked The Blacklist and their reveal of who Raymond Redington was is the stupidest thing ever.

The ending itself was not a bad end to the story IMO. The problem was how they told it. First the last season was 8 episodes instead of 13 for some reason. Second the season before the last season covered almost no ground whatsoever over it's 13 episodes and then they crammed 2 or 3 seasons worth of material into 8 episodes. This meant that the end just kind of came up out of nowhere.

IMO this is why GRR Martin has not finished the books. He knows he still needs to write 2 or 3 books to adequately tell the story and he doesn't want to do it anymore. He doesn't enjoy writing Game Of Thrones. Thus IMO we will never get the books and will just have to be satisfied with the 💩y way the show writers filled in his outline.

Yup. The character moves make sense given some of the backstory and their motivations, they just got there WAY too quickly. Plus there are more than a few geographic things that just don't make sense given distances between stuff...

As for GRRM, I don't know that I agree he doesn't enjoy writing it, because he still spends a lot of time in that world in his side projects. I just think he's struggling with how to plausibly bring all the characters to the same place for the planned conclusion without it feeling rushed so it's taking him a lot of time to edit and outline for consistency. The showrunners, on the other hand, threw that right the hell out the window lol

I have never really agreed that the Sopranos finale was not conclusive… I get that they don’t show what happens, but it’s clear from all of the clues (ending on Dont Stop Believing’s ‘don’t….stop…’) and then going to black screen. It’s pretty obvious what the conclusion was. The whole last sequence is incredibly anxiety-inducing. Even more than trying to parallel park :) I know at the time I had the same reaction as most (WTF???). We’ve been conditioned to want our stories wrapped up in a nice bow, usually with a happy or satisfying ending. I know the vast majority of fans panned that ending and even hated it. But the more times I’ve watched it, the more I tend to think it was pure genius.

The last Star is Born had a pretty tragic ending.
Million Dollar Baby gut wrenching!
Worst Ending any M.Knight Shamalan movie minus Sixth Sense

True Blood had a crappy ending.

So many great answers. Seinfeld ending for me was one of the worst. I did not mind the GOT ending just thought the final season was rushed. The Lost and Sopranos Ending I did not mind either. Not great but not terrible. Seven and the Sixth Sense were tragic but great endings.

Another tragic ending that really bummed me out was Gone Baby Gone. As far as worst maybe Cabin in the Woods. Just did not like the sci-fi game thing

Was coming here to say exactly this.

GoT followed the same recipe.

Dexter was a terrible ending .. still annoys me

I don't think I ever actually watched the end of Game of Thrones, but it really didn't make many people happy did it..
97e.jpg

No, I m not crying... it's allergies...

If you didn't have "allergies" at the end of Brian's Song, you were dead or a psychopath
People who say they didn't cry at the end of Brian's Song will lie about other things, too.

Anyone mention lost yet?

Endings are hard... everything starts with a great idea and then they get to the finish line and go... "Now what?" I've said for years, writers need to lose their ego's, especially on series like Lost or Sopranos and get some more minds involved on the ending... but it's really hard.

Also, music... how many bands have great debuts, peak at their 2nd or 3rd release, but never have classics at the end of their careers...

Back