Review MotoCaddy M7 Electric Caddy Review

How much of a distraction is the remote? Or is it pretty much a few rounds and you don't notice it? Thinking about M5 vs M7 and if the remote makes this a game changer vs manually controlling it and sending it forward one touch at a time (not sure how to control that but assume there is some auto stop after x yards).

How much of a distraction is the remote? Or is it pretty much a few rounds and you don't notice it? Thinking about M5 vs M7 and if the remote makes this a game changer vs manually controlling it and sending it forward one touch at a time (not sure how to control that but assume there is some auto stop after x yards).

It's not so much a one touch at a time with the manual method. You dial to the speed you want it to go, and press the dial. Off it goes. If you let go of it, it's not going to stop until that button is pressed again. With the remote, similar concept? You press the plus button, and off it goes. It'll stop on its own once you hit a max distance away from it but from personal testing, that's at least 250yds away.

As far as the remote, I put it on the scorecard holder or clip it to the drink holder when it's time to hit the ball. Once I put the club back in the bag, I pick up the remote and off we go. Can't accidentally hit a button when it's not on your person anymore!

Great information this thread.. Electric carts have me intrigued and pondering. I enjoy walking but I dont like some of the elements of manual pushcarts and carrying can be a bit much on a hot day.

Thanks for these reviews.

For those in the know... how easy is it to get/return your clubs if you have a mounted handheld GPS or smartphone. A picture looking down at the GPS showing the clubs would be very helpful if possible. A trolly is a serious ponder for next year but it has to provide easy club access.
I have not had a problem yet. I thought I was going to when I first saw it, but after some adjusting of the device holder I think I found a good spot. I will get you a photo or two of it later today! Off topic: love your avatar.

First round, yeah it's something different and something new to remember. But now, I wouldn't say it's a distraction at all now as it quickly becomes part of the routine, a lot like selecting what club I'm hitting on theGrint or myRoundPro apps (I use both and rotate between the two). Maybe it was easier for me to get used to having the remote since I already use my smartphone during the round, I'm not sure.

At first, before every shot I would lock the remote (pressing the bottom right button) and put it in my pocket. Then I'd unlock the remote while putting the club back and motor on to the next location. That was at the beginning when I was still worried the M7 would somehow accidentally take off if I was ever separated from the remote for even a second haha. Now, most times, I put the remote on the remote clip on the M7 during my shot since I have to get a club anyways without locking the remote. If I grab my putter and send the M7 ahead to the next tee then I will still lock the remote while it's in my pocket. But if the cart is near me, I'm putting it on the clip without locking the remote. And yes, the remote hangs upside down while on the M7. Here are a couple photos I had stored away that I never posted.

IMG_5289.JPGIMG_5290.JPG

As asked about earlier in the thread, here are some videos of taking clubs in/out of bag while using the device holder. I decided short videos were best, rather than photos. I usually do video with my iphone, which was in the device holder. The video is with my old Kodak Zi8 so it's shaky but it's watchable-ish. I wanted the iphone in the device holder because it's bigger than the Kodak and people can judge size better. I have an iphone 6 (yeah I know I need a new phone) in an OtterBox case so feel free to look up the specs to compare to your phone/device.

I'm only showing clubs in the bottom row of the bag because there's no issue at all with any of the clubs in other parts of the bag. I should also say while on course I can take clubs in/out of the bottom row on the Nike and Motocaddy (never tried the Jones) without smacking the phone. I'm being a bit deliberate in these videos, trying to make contact to show that yes, with all three bags the bottom row of clubs can hit the phone if you're not watching it. I turn the club head when pulling the clubs out and don't have an issue. Obviously, tilt the club forward while it's going in/out and there won't be any issues.

Before we begin here's a side view of my device holder setup (with the Kodak Zi8 in it). I have the stem of the holder down away from the bag, almost parallel to the bar of the M7. This gives the most distance between the phone and the clubs. This setup puts the phone just above the screen of the M7. If I put the device holder stem straight up I think it would be an issue taking clubs in/out of the bag.

side view.jpg

First up is my Nike bag. It's a Nike Slingshot stand bag and it was my main bag until the Dry-Series Motocaddy bag arrived. Given that the bottom slot is quite big it's easy to tilt the club up while pulling the club out, which clears the phone quite easy. But I didn't do that in the video because I want you to see what can happen. Of the three bags this one has the most clearance due to the large bottom slot.

Next is the Motocaddy Dry-Series bag. It's a cart bag I'm testing and is the first bag I've ever had with 14 full-length dividers. Again, getting the clubs in/out is easy, but I do turn the club head more. The individual bottom slots aren't as fat as the Nike (due to being individual dividers) but the club can still be tilted forward leaving room to work with.

Last up is a Jones stand bag. Who would put a small Jones bag that can barely hold 14 clubs on an electric caddy? I have no idea, but in case you do here's how it looks. Due to the tight bottom club slot this bag was the trickiest getting clubs in/out with the iphone there (no room to tilt the club) but overall it still works.

Thanks for the videos... GREATLY appreciate the time and effort you put into answering our questions. :drinks:

At first, before every shot I would lock the remote (pressing the bottom right button) and put it in my pocket. Then I'd unlock the remote while putting the club back and motor on to the next location

At first, before every shot I would lock the remote (pressing the bottom right button) and put it in my pocket. Then I'd unlock the remote while putting the club back and motor on to the next location

I have really come to rely on my belt clip modification. When I take the remote with me, I clip it to my belt so I literally do not use the lock feature. I found it annoying to constantly have to lock and unlock it. For the MGI Zip remote, an extra clip from my Garmin hunting remote fits snugly to it and makes it drop quickly into the quick release. You reach down for it and depress the thumb release all in one motion. Off my back left hip, it's never in the way of the swing and there's never a chance of accidentally hitting a button. Truly ideal.

Here it is if anyone wants to try it:

MW78alN.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the videos... GREATLY appreciate the time and effort you put into answering our questions. :drinks:

Hooray! Thank you. I'm glad you and others find them useful.

I did want to mention though...I forgot to show that you can turn the device sideways (landscape view) while it's in the device holder. Turning it sideways gives more clearance when taking clubs in/out. I guess I forget about that because both apps I use on course (myRoundPro or theGrint) use portrait mode, as shown in the videos.

After using the MGI for today’s stroll around the course, GG and I both missed the Motocaddy. It just seems a bit better thought out and while both did the job, the Motocaddy is quieter and the spots for things are just an overall more “well put”.

I think both units work, and spoiled to be able to test side by side, but the Motocaddy is whisper quiet, straps work well and nothing rattles with even the slightest bump. I also think bags overall fit better.

Overall so far the M7 has been really great. Here are a few minor growing pains that have come up for me so far:

- Got the cart setup in the course parking lot, pushed the go button, and the M7 crept forward at a snail's pace. What the... It wouldn't turn at all. Reversed it back to me very slowly. Battery levels and cart/battery connection all looked good. Stood there for a good 30 seconds stumped. Finally remembered I had the rear wheel in push mode earlier and I never changed them to the power/drive mode. Moved the wheels to drive/power mode (literally 1/4" difference, see photo here) and off it went. Moral of the story: I didn't know the M7 would move at all with the remote when wheels are in push mode but apparently it will go forward and backwards, albeit very slowly.

- Last week I thought I lost the remote. I usually store the M7 folded and sitting upright with the kickstand (see photo here). When in that position there's no good place to store the remote on the M7. After 15 minutes of digging through a few bags and my vehicle I found it on top of my tool chest. I decided then and there that I will always keep it in the valuables pocket of my golf bag when not in use. Question: Where do others keep the remote?

- Going along with the above, when using the kickstand the wheelie bar needs to be removed. I have yet to find the best place to put it so that I will be sure to remember it. I've been setting it across the top bag support bracket but surely I can come up with something better.

- I like keeping my phone in the device holder rather than my pocket since I use my phone on course (myRoundPro or theGrint). I've been caught a couple times now where I send the cart to the next tee while I go to putt only to forget my phone is still in the device holder on the M7. So, I have to wait to finish inputting my score/putts until I get to the next tee. Not the worst thing in the world, but still.

I usually keep my remote when I’m not using it on the top pocket of the bag. Maybe the sides but the top center is safe since all those pockets face forward

Just to show you how it handles a hill. It does kick back on that back wheel a few times but handles it just fine. This has been my experience throughout and the more I've seen it rock back, the less I get concerned because I know it can handle it.

Just to show you how it handles a hill. It does kick back on that back wheel a few times but handles it just fine. This has been my experience throughout and the more I've seen it rock back, the less I get concerned because I know it can handle it.

That looks solid and silent. At the beginning of the video it looks like someone next to you is beginning to push theirs. And all I can think of is "That poor guy". Because after using the electric, there is no way I could go back.

That looks solid and silent. At the beginning of the video it looks like someone next to you is beginning to push theirs. And all I can think of is "That poor guy". Because after using the electric, there is no way I could go back.

yeah, that was my dad. At one point I pushed that cart to the tee box for him since mine was already there. I felt like I was working way harder than I should haha

I usually keep my remote when I’m not using it on the top pocket of the bag. Maybe the sides but the top center is safe since all those pockets face forward

I'm a belt guy, as soon as I stop, I throw it on my belt. Usually back right side.

I'm a belt guy, as soon as I stop, I throw it on my belt. Usually back right side.

Smart, really it’s just keep it out of the way as much as possible.

yeah, that was my dad. At one point I pushed that cart to the tee box for him since mine was already there. I felt like I was working way harder than I should haha

You mean one week away from Fathers Day and you didn’t let your dad use the M7 for the round while you used his push cart? 🙂

Or were you afraid he wouldn’t give it back after going electric for a round? 😆

You mean one week away from Fathers Day and you didn’t let your dad use the M7 for the round while you used his push cart? 🙂

Or were you afraid he wouldn’t give it back after going electric for a round? 😆

I know how he drives.

I know my last couple of rounds have only been 9 holes, but I haven't had to charge the remote for a crazy long period of time. I usually remember to bring the battery in and charge it up when I get home after a round, but the remote tends to hang around in the front of my car until I plan to go out. Yes, I know that is bad management, but at least I am able to get it to a full charge in less than an hour.

I know my last couple of rounds have only been 9 holes, but I haven't had to charge the remote for a crazy long period of time. I usually remember to bring the battery in and charge it up when I get home after a round, but the remote tends to hang around in the front of my car until I plan to go out. Yes, I know that is bad management, but at least I am able to get it to a full charge in less than an hour.
Could you charge it off the cart if necessary?

you could. There is a USB plug on the handle where that could happen. Obviously, it would take some battery away from the cart while doing that.

This thread is so much fun. I love the discussion and feedback for far, including video content. Y'all are killing it and whetting my appetite.

That thing looks pretty happy doing a "wheel stand". Love it!

I've charged the remote once since I've gotten mine. I have 2 full rounds, and about half a dozen 9's with it so far. I just keep the micro USB cord in the bag. The one time I charged it I actually used my car charger with the supplied cord on my way to the course.
Like said above, yes you can. Looking at the size of the remote and the available battery space in it, charging with the cart can't draw too much power off the main battery. I haven't hooked up a phone yet, but the next time I take it out, I plan on having a half dead phone and seeing how much battery drain it causes. I've got a good feel on 9 holes so far with it, and I'm sure I can get an easy 45 holes at my home course in one charge with nothing hooked up to it.

I'm CERTAIN that the battery drain to charge the remote or a phone is minimal. I get home after 18 holes and my battery gauge hasn't dropped a single bar. How could charging something drain such a strong battery to any noticeable or impactful way? Unless you're doing 36 without a charge, I'd be shocked to hear that it left someone going into freewheel and pushing their unit off the course.

Back