CrashTestDummy

Reaction score
Handicap
4-ish
Any avid mountain bikers? I'm pretty sure there are very, very few people who are avid golfers and avid mountain bikers. Probably more people who are avid golfers and are avid curlers. 😂

I used to be. Back when I lived in the UK, I had some great purpose built trails nearby. I live on the doorstep of Ford Ord that has some fantastic trails apparently. I’ve been doing Peloton classes for the last 8 months to get my fitness back up so I should really go and check these local trails out.
A couple of pics from the trails back home in Swinley Forest.00CB7F92-5A38-4122-9416-36B666C0E1A6.jpeg
6068B332-EC58-4E25-AEE3-27967BD6A7FE.jpeg
6ADCB861-14F2-416A-B9E8-0D1692C8DC94.jpeg
B2860581-FEF1-4AEC-A59D-30D6082C5457.jpeg
6C183FBA-2863-45A2-BB2A-4A5E33FEF860.jpeg

@mtbloco this is right up your alley!

I used to race bikes of all kinds (mtb, road, and TT) but now it's golf of all kinds (good, bad, and meh). :)

Last edited:
I used to bike a ton. I still get out on the road and mountain bike regularly but now I just tool around here and there. Back in the day I had a blog that I used to document skiing and cycling. That was a lot of fun, and I because of it I would connect with people all the time. My wife also used to work in the cycling industry. For a time she also ran a local Team Luna Chix group that was about getting women into mountain biking. I was their wrench.

My current ride is an Ibis Ripley 29er. Fun bike.

I still have my Rockhopper around somewhere. Can't remember the last time I rode singletrack though...maybe 2 decades ago?

These days I'm into single speeders cruising gravel rail trails or bike paths. My main bike now has a coaster brake and yes, it's still a blast slamming the pedals down and leaving a huge skid mark just like everyone did when they were kids.

I ride a mountain bike but mostly on paved bike trails but do go every once in awhile to some off road trails, but nothing too serious

I was growing up many years ago, used too have a diamondback for races and trails. Great bike and I had it for many years. Recently with the addition of kids and the fact I had not ridden that bike for a decade I upgraded to a giant last year, it's been 20 years since I had a new bike and wow have they changed.

I used to be. Back when I lived in the UK, I had some great purpose built trails nearby. I live on the doorstep of Ford Ord that has some fantastic trails apparently. I’ve been doing Peloton classes for the last 8 months to get my fitness back up so I should really go and check these local trails out.
A couple of pics from the trails back home in Swinley Forest.View attachment 9020169
View attachment 9020170
View attachment 9020171
View attachment 9020172
View attachment 9020173
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait for the heat here to break and I can get back out more often to ride.

A couple of pics from the trails back home in Swinley Forest.View attachment 9020169
View attachment 9020170
View attachment 9020171
View attachment 9020172
View attachment 9020173

Mountain bikes are light years ahead from those bike days. Can go down just about any terrain. Full plush suspension, hydraulic disc brakes, dropper posts, and tons of other technologies. This is what they look like now.

aeec76c7-d4a8-4bca-b63f-77f51dd11f81_MY22_Bronson-Gold_Hero_Desktop.jpg

I own a Cannondale 26 mtn bike I bought at an estate sale for $5.00. Needed a new seat, and handle grips.

I'm long past riding on dirt, mtn bike trails. I just ride it around town, and on a local concrete bike trail that's about 30 miles long that goes around a mountain. . I've never done the whole 30 miles. 10 miles, round trip is my limit. I purchased it for leg exercise.

The town I live in is really big on mtn biking. They have races 3-4 times a year, where competitors race down hill. Some of those guys are fearless, riding in those down hill races. 9-10 minutes is a good time.

I own a Specialized Camber 29'er. Haven't been doing a lot of riding, though, and the MTB scene around here is pretty dismal - have to head up to the mountains an hour away for some decent trails and I haven't done it yet. When I lived in SoCal we had tons of good singletrack to ride, and we used to go up to Big Bear during the summer where you could ride downhill at the ski resorts - take the lifts to the top, then ride your way back down. I've heard that a lot of the places we used to ride down there have either been closed down or developed into housing tracts.

I'm a lot more mellow when I do ride off-road nowadays - I've discovered as I've gotten older that I don't bounce as well, and things tend to break rather than bend! I traded in my old "No Fear" t-shirts for new ones that say "Some Fear". :LOL:

Oh man! A golfer/mtber! I’m not that crazy!

I haven’t rode in a while but I’m dying to get back into it. Arkansas has been getting better trails every year.

My oldest son is starting to learn how to ride a bike so I’ll be getting my own again real soon and I plan on bringing him to some trails.

Two E-bikes for me and the wife (Peddle assist: Giant Trance Pro). Makes it way easier to hit multiple climbs in a single day when the age starts to creep in. 20190111_135557.jpg

Two E-bikes for me and the wife (Peddle assist: Giant Trance Pro). Makes it way easier to hit multiple climbs in a single day when the age starts to creep in. View attachment 9020277
Ok, I'm going to have to check these out! I was looking at the Think E-Bikes but I like these!

We have 29ers, hardtails. They limit the type of trails we ride but they provide the most adventure she is interested in. I'm always looking for a full suspension MTB, without having to spend boat loads of money since it's just an occasional hobby for me these days. I just don't ride as much as I use to.

A few of the photos I took on my favorite mountain bike trip:

Cloudraker2 108.jpg
Cloudraker 103.jpg
Cloudraker2 104.jpg
Cloudraker2 106.jpg
Cloudraker2 109 (1).jpg
Cloudraker2 105.jpg

That is my kind of riding. Picture #5 really peaks my interest because it really shows the great technical stuff. Great pics.

Did you bring your bike with you or rent? The biggest issue I found traveling to riding destinations is difficulty finding high quality full suspension bikes. Traveling with your bike on planes is a PITA and expensive.

That is my kind of riding. Picture #5 really peaks my interest because it really shows the great technical stuff. Great pics.

Did you bring your bike with you or rent? The biggest issue I found traveling to riding destinations is difficulty finding high quality full suspension bikes. Traveling with your bike on planes is a PITA and expensive.
That looks awesome!!!! Into a lot of good skiing, been to Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Fernie in BC and lately heli-skiing at Silverton with stops in Wold Creek and many other CO mountains. Plus Jay and Follow the snow B!tches any place on the East Coast.

As far as mountain biking still on my 20 year old Specialized that I get crap for. Other friends have much better bikes and are way better than myself. I take too many tumbles and falling on dirt and rocks is way worse than snow, especially at 54.

But I also golf and they don't so life is good!

we took our bikes. This was a bucket list sort of vacation. 9 days in Switzerland, with a private guide company. It really was not that difficult nor expensive to take our bikes. International flights did not have a extra fee at the time (2017) and I had a direct first flight as international. Just had to physically manage a suitcase and bike case.

That looks awesome!!!! Into a lot of good skiing, been to Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Fernie in BC and lately heli-skiing at Silverton with stops in Wold Creek and many other CO mountains. Plus Jay and Follow the snow B!tches any place on the East Coast.

As far as mountain biking still on my 20 year old Specialized that I get crap for. Other friends have much better bikes and are way better than myself. I take too many tumbles and falling on dirt and rocks is way worse than snow, especially at 54.

But I also golf and they don't so life is good!
When I traded my last Specialized in on my current one, the guy in the bike shop said it belonged in a museum! :LOL: He said he might hang it up in the shop as a display to show how far MTBs have progressed since then.

I don't care if I'm riding singletrack or just cruising a paved bike path, there's something about getting on the bike that makes me feel like a kid again.

I fall into that category. I have not raced in a couple years but still ride. I mainly ride "enduro" stuff these days.

Attachments

• 26758573_10155795300166023_1696109222051931002_o.jpg
    26758573_10155795300166023_1696109222051931002_o.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 9
When I traded my last Specialized in on my current one, the guy in the bike shop said it belonged in a museum! :LOL: He said he might hang it up in the shop as a display to show how far MTBs have progressed since then.

I don't care if I'm riding singletrack or just cruising a paved bike path, there's something about getting on the bike that makes me feel like a kid again.
Might upgrade the bike next year, my friends give me crap on my bike.

I’ve been taking a bit of time off this year, but was riding pretty religiously the previous few years. Lots of great trails in my area. This is my trail rig that I stretched into a full enduro sled.
6c25cb5afe4cb3dfcda01cd2a160947c.jpg

I’ve been taking a bit of time off this year, but was riding pretty religiously the previous few years. Lots of great trails in my area. This is my trail rig that I stretched into a full enduro sled.
yeah I haven't been riding as much as I should / would like to either. Nice area and bike!

Great Spider. I had the same bike, but recently sold. Increased the rear travel from 130mm to 140mm and front travel from140mm to 150mm. Basically turned it into a Recluse. Such an improvement. It made the suspension so much more plush and it could handle a lot more tech.

Back