Moved up a tee box today

Many more folks should be moving up a tee box and leaving their egos in the locker room - they will enjoy the game more and pace of play will pick up for everyone.
Pace of play isn't usually an issue when I'm alone. I dropped my little boy off at daycare and was at the course by 7:05, I was in my truck and headed home at 8:40. That includes loading clubs, changing shoes etc.

Good stuff.....Sounds like a good day with some friends. You still have to hit the shots. I played a round last year at a club I hadn't played in a while and was paired up with 3 older guys who were playing forward....and I joined them. Was my low round for year but was fun hitting a bunch of D and W's....

Sounds like you hot the ball well! Enjoy the PB. I play sometimes at short tees... Always curious what it would have looked like from further back. Enjoy it and of anything probably additional practice with scoring clubs

Changing tees does give you a different look at the course.

Sounds like you hot the ball well! Enjoy the PB. I play sometimes at short tees... Always curious what it would have looked like from further back. Enjoy it and of anything probably additional practice with scoring clubs

Well, I know what it looks like from further back. In my late teens, early to mid-20's, I was around scratch. Always shot around par, and under par often enough. And, I played from the tips. Including the "Mother of all courses" around here, that was a smidge over 7.000 yards, which was long back in the day. When I started heading back to the blues, every tee shot was coming out of a tight funnel of trees! I got back there and thought, "Ooh! You not only need to be long, you need to be accurate back here!"

But, I was young and strong, and could hit the ball where and how I wanted to. Then, life and career intervened, and I no longer was able to spend 5-6 days a week practicing. When the golf bug bit me, it bit me real hard!

I like trying courses from the different tees. We used to have a 4 round tournament with each round on a different set of tees, that was fun. Our pro used to challenge us to play shorter tees, and compare our scores. Telling us if you don't score better from the shorter tees, distance is not your biggest obstacle to scoring.

I like trying courses from the different tees. We used to have a 4 round tournament with each round on a different set of tees, that was fun. Our pro used to challenge us to play shorter tees, and compare our scores. Telling us if you don't score better from the shorter tees, distance is not your biggest obstacle to scoring.
This is true. I score about the same from tees from 6200-6900. Shorter and I'd likely shoot a little better. Much longer with tight landing areas or long forced carries and I'd score higher.

This being said, I lean toward the longer courses. The longer tees will provide a higher rating and slope and help create a better handicap. It's hard to build a reputable handicap on lower rates courses.

Back