Moving to a Senior shaft

thecolonel

Reaction score
Handicap
My driver is a Callaway XR Speed 10.5 loft with an Aldila Synergy 50 R flex. It's approx 3 years old and has a value of around £100($135)

I've lost quite a bit of speed as I'm 59 now, have some physical issues, and I've gone from 89 to 82mph last 5 years.

I'm just not striking(or timing) my driver well at all(almost striking it better off the deck oddly!)

I'm toying with going to a softer shaft. Looking to spend no more than £50

So, why don't I just buy the same shaft in the 'A' flex... I hear you ask?

Because I live in Thailand and import tax is nuts here!

Ideally I'd like to get a used/pulled shaft and even better try it first

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced shaft, probably used, to suit this job/budget that I should be looking out for.

A golf shop here today offered me a Miyazaki C kua 39 in Reg(not A flex) but reckoned "it would be OK". Er, sorry pal but I'm looking for a little bit more science than that!

I used to have those shafts in my Cleveland Launchers XL s and quite liked them. Those then were 43g and 6424 International Flex code( I do understand how that works). The one he had today(39g) was 5212 in Reg and I've checked online the A flex version is 3101.

Whilst I want softer I'm conscious that i still want to be able to control it. Im 7 handicap but only hit about 195 carry and need to keep my accuracy

Anyone got any links so that I can compare my current shaft versus another so I can find one that fits the bill. 40 or 45 g sounds about right

Anyone made a similar switch to this and how did it go?

Thanks

Ps is 'Soft Regular' simply the new term for Senior or A flex?

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I highly recommend looking into a Tensei CK Blue 'A' flex at 50g. I'm 65 y/o and play to a 1.8 hdcp. I went to this shaft from a CK Orange in regular flex and 60g. I feel more control with the lighter 'A' shaft and have no distance changes. I can also draw the ball far easier with the 'A' flex. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm 61, I am still playing R flex and occasional S. My driver speed is about 89-93. I have the Tensei Blue (not sure which variant) in my 3 and 5 woods and my hybrid - I am 100% sold on this shaft. After install, I was able to reset the heads to factory settings - 3 and 5 woods. And they flat out perform.

Do give them a try!

This was the C Kua 39g

0555eb9c3ecfa1d3b7e7bc3da52e371a.jpg

I highly recommend looking into a Tensei CK Blue 'A' flex at 50g. I'm 65 y/o and play to a 1.8 hdcp. I went to this shaft from a CK Orange in regular flex and 60g. I feel more control with the lighter 'A' shaft and have no distance changes. I can also draw the ball far easier with the 'A' flex. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Interesting. But what is your typical clubhead speed and typical total distance?

Thanks

I tried A-flex and liked the trajectory but not the dispersion.
I was straighter with R-flex.

Noted and not surprising.

However did you feel that you hit it better/further(with A flex over R flex)?

And was that the impression or hard data from trackman etc?

Thanks

As they often say, weight is more important than stated flex. Going to a lighter weight might also work for you.
However, each golfer has a unique golf swing and tempo. Peaking through the window of static measure of club head speed is just a gleam to the overall issue.
Is there a way you could try the Miyazaki C kua 39 in Reg ? Like you said, it's local and available to you.

I'm a decade and a half ahead of you and still using the X flex in driver up until I was 63, although dropped the shaft weight from mid-high 70 gm. to mid 60'ish. That worked for awhile until time to drop down to S flex in the 60 gm. ish.
I am going lighter and more flex in the shorter sticks, fairway woods and hybrids, and irons. Dropped to regular flex in light weight steel a few years ago.

Not surrendering to graphite shafts in irons, not just yet.

Noted and not surprising.

However did you feel that you hit it better/further(with A flex over R flex)?

And was that the impression or hard data from trackman etc?

Thanks

I have NO launch monitor data, unfortunately.
I have only the demos in the pro shop that I [and anybody else] can try on the practice tee,.
So that means that I'm going only by the stock shafts, not premium ones, that are on the demos.

But the results are usually the same.
Nice trajectory but wider dispersion with A-Flex.
Line drives with S-flex.
Reasonable compromise with R-flex.
Decent hits with all of them, albeit slight tendency to pull because the demos are a tiny tad upright for me.

On the one hand, it's admittedly NOT scientific at all.
On the other hand, it occurs too regularly not to be valid.

As they often say, weight is more important than stated flex. Going to a lighter weight might also work for you.
However, each golfer has a unique golf swing and tempo. Peaking through the window of static measure of club head speed is just a gleam to the overall issue.
Is there a way you could try the Miyazaki C kua 39 in Reg ? Like you said, it's local and available to you.

I'm a decade and a half ahead of you and still using the X flex in driver up until I was 63, although dropped the shaft weight from mid-high 70 gm. to mid 60'ish. That worked for awhile until time to drop down to S flex in the 60 gm. ish.
I am going lighter and more flex in the shorter sticks, fairway woods and hybrids, and irons. Dropped to regular flex in light weight steel a few years ago.

Not surrendering to graphite shafts in irons, not just yet.
Interesting last comment you made about shaft weight and you not going to graphite in your irons. I had Kuro Kage graphite 50g A flex in my irons (I'm 65) and they were aweful. No carry at all. Direction all over the place. Was recently fitted and replaced them with NS Pro Modus3 120 in STIFF steel. I now hit the ball higher and far more consistent. Took a while to get used to, but I never would have thought such a drastic chance in weight would be so positive.

Interesting last comment you made about shaft weight and you not going to graphite in your irons. I had Kuro Kage graphite 50g A flex in my irons (I'm 65) and they were aweful. No carry at all. Direction all over the place. Was recently fitted and replaced them with NS Pro Modus3 120 in STIFF steel. I now hit the ball higher and far more consistent. Took a while to get used to, but I never would have thought such a drastic chance in weight would be so positive.

Crikey, that's interesting, going heavier at 65!

The C Kua 39 is in my driver now and will be trialled tomorrow, weather permitting...

I went to senior shafts (A) about a yr ago. Saw and felt a big improvement in my ball striking. Believe, anecdotal, that the weight of the shaft is also the key and of course who makes the shaft. Recently, went to a 45 grams UL shaft for my driver and I'm hitting the ball about 5-7 yards further off the tee. My swing was recorded at Dick's at 72 mph. Pretty slow. Also believe the torque of the shaft is important too. The new driver shaft has a 5.4 torque -- have seen some over 6.0. All this is anecdotal on my part and I choose not to give specifics on the shaft maker or driver respecting the sponsors of this site.

Good Golfing ...

Tested today

I preferred the Miyazaki C kua R (5212) over the Aldila synergy 50R

Better ball flight, slightly higher
Better contact, ball stayed in air longer

To test it, I switched back to Aldila and the heel strikes came back

Would really appreciate feedback on COST of these shafts.

If these shafts were broken, what would the new replacement costs be?

I have a hunch the Aldila is more expensive?

All comments appreciated

Cheers

It is crazy how being in between shafts makes clubs that much more difficult. You have make a choice and usually straighter is a better option.

I think, a majority of the golfers either don't know how or have fear of full -out swing at the golf ball. I had learned to swing at the golf ball with everything I have for a full swing from the beginning. Not until my 4th or the 5th year did I learn to control the direction of golf shot.
Know some senior golfers have physical issue, which prevented them from going after the golf ball with their full body weight, and these would benefit from a light weight graphite shaft for sure.
I always believe that one should be able to play the same set of golf clubs for at least 36 holes without feeling have to over swing to compensate because of tiredness. A dozen of golf swing in front of a launch monitor will not fit the right shaft.
As the same as a long distance runner, If one could run a marathon, finishing a shorter distance will be a piece of cake.
Believe me, like al the golf nuts out there, I had tried graphite shaft when I had shoulder and back issue when I was in my late 50's. After an injury I had tried a set of irons with graphite shaft in the mid 90 gm. weight. It was great when I could not go after the golf ball full out. But after I had recovered, the heavier steel shaft still give me the better distance + control.
Of course, I would be too tired to swing the heavier shaft effectively, should the day turned into more than an 18 hole play. A younger me had played 45 holes carrying my own bag and walked the hilly terrain .

Back