Mp 20 mmc or t 100s

boogiebot

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys I’m a casual lurker of this site looking to get the help of the members here on making a choice for my next set of irons. Here is a little bit of info on my golf game. I currently hit taylormade RSi 1 irons in the stock steel shafts they come on. They were literally purchased from golf town about 5-6 years ago and were never fitted for me. I strike the ball fairly decent and my handicap is about a 13. In terms of distance I usually hit the 7 iron about 160 ish of carry. Each club up or down is about a 10-12 yard gap from there. I can still have a terrible day where I shoot 95 but these are far and few between. This can happen from missing putts or placing bad chip shots.

This year I feel like my swing has gotten more consistent and I would like to take a step up and get fitted for some new clubs. My wife has been kind enough to say go for it lol. I’m looking for something that is a bit more compact looking but still would offer some foreignness on miss hits, this lead me to looking at the mp 20 mmc and the t 100s. I was looking to hear from other members that either own these clubs or had a chance to demo them on the course and your feedback of each. Also do you guys think this maybe too much of a jump up from what I currently play; do I need to consider playing a jpx 919 or a t200?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to see the words "get fitted" in your post - that's key #1.

I would recommend looking at Titleist's website to see what they have for Titleist Thursday events in your area. They're free; you book a one hour slot and hit whatever club(s) you are interested in while the data is analyzed via Trackman.

I recently moved from Cleveland CG7 irons that were almost 10 years old in the T200s. They're definitely more compact; I tried a few swings with the T100 but just couldn't adjust to the blade like look of the club head. Plus I need a bit more help. For me, the T200 looks so much like a blade compared to my Clevelands. I'm currently in the adjustment phase of the relationship, so I can't say that I'm knocking pins down. A bit the opposite actually, but it's not the club's fault.

I know based on my research that demo days are virtually non-existent for 2020, so TT may be your only option. I'm not sure what area of Canada you're in, but there are a couple of very good options in the Toronto area where you can hit anything you want and they will dial you in.

Good luck in your search!

Happy to see the words "get fitted" in your post - that's key #1.

I would recommend looking at Titleist's website to see what they have for Titleist Thursday events in your area. They're free; you book a one hour slot and hit whatever club(s) you are interested in while the data is analyzed via Trackman.

I recently moved from Cleveland CG7 irons that were almost 10 years old in the T200s. They're definitely more compact; I tried a few swings with the T100 but just couldn't adjust to the blade like look of the club head. Plus I need a bit more help. For me, the T200 looks so much like a blade compared to my Clevelands. I'm currently in the adjustment phase of the relationship, so I can't say that I'm knocking pins down. A bit the opposite actually, but it's not the club's fault.

I know based on my research that demo days are virtually non-existent for 2020, so TT may be your only option. I'm not sure what area of Canada you're in, but there are a couple of very good options in the Toronto area where you can hit anything you want and they will dial you in.

Good luck in your search!

Thank you for your reply junkyard. I’m based in the Vancouver area. Looks like the only TT is later this month at north view and it’s all booked up. I’m thinking of going to golftec and paying the 100 dollars to have them look at my swing on camera and see what clubs would work best.

Also I really appreciate your insight on the t200. I was looking at them and they are definitely a sweet looking club. Do you find your mis hits very forgiving? I wonder if the golf fitter will say this might be a better club for me to game. I had a chance to hit the t 100 at golf town and I did like the feel of them. Everything I have seen about the t 100 s woukd look like I’d get a bit more distance but still good spin rates so I can stop the ball.

If those two are the ones set in your head, the MMC’s are going to feel a ton better and in my experience with both offer more overall playability by offering a little more “give” than the 100’s will.

Both fine sets, but feel wise it’s not close imo.

As always, best bet is to find a way to hit them, but those are some fun options!

If those two are the ones set in your head, the MMC’s are going to feel a ton better and in my experience with both offer more overall playability by offering a little more “give” than the 100’s will.

Both fine sets, but feel wise it’s not close imo.

As always, best bet is to find a way to hit them, but those are some fun options!

Thanks for the insight jman. Hope to get into golftec soon to see how these each play out.

Are there any other clubs you’d suggest looking at?

Thanks for the insight jman. Hope to get into golftec soon to see how these each play out.

Are there any other clubs you’d suggest looking at?

In those profiles? Hard not to give the Srixon 785/585 a look, I think the 585 might surprise you.

I agree with @Jman. Between the 2 listed, the MMCs feel better. I have hit both (the T 100, not T 100S) and the MMCs were more pleasing. I also think the MMCs are more forgiving.

MMP20 MMC all day everyday over the T100s.

I'm with the rest on the the mmcs on this situation. The t100 are a little more demanding imo. The mmc look and feel amazing and will help you out a little more.

Mp20 MMC hands down.. feel is much better off the face

I’m getting very excited about trying the mmc irons. I guess as a fanboy titleist has always had a great appeal. At the end of the day of the mmc is a great profile and easier for me to hit, then that’s what I’m going to out in my bag. This game is hard enough, not looking to make it any harder.

@Jman I will check out those clubs you suggested as well

Also I really appreciate your insight on the t200. I was looking at them and they are definitely a sweet looking club. Do you find your mis hits very forgiving? I wonder if the golf fitter will say this might be a better club for me to game. I had a chance to hit the t 100 at golf town and I did like the feel of them. Everything I have seen about the t 100 s woukd look like I’d get a bit more distance but still good spin rates so I can stop the ball.

I've only got a handful of rounds on them so far, but thinking about the mis hits (there have been plenty) distance loss has been minimal. More lack of proper shot shape. They are certainly an adjustment compared to what I'm used to, but I'm hoping once I figure them out all will be good.

Funny to read guys say MMC hands down. I own the T100S irons and I would say they feel quite good, very good actually.

I will say that the T100S irons have VERY small heads and can intimidate some. I've played some fantastic golf with them this season.

Now....I have never hit the MMC irons, but I'm a mizuno fan for sure.

I would say to wait a few more weeks and check out Mizzys near gear coming. Sounds like the JPX forged model is going to be VERY good.
Also, I'm reading that the new TaylorMade P770s are impressive. I owned the older model P770 irons are they were fantastic.

The nice thing about Mizzy irons is you can get really incredible shafts for no extra up charge. Titleist likes to charge for anything fancy.

Summary IMHO: Wait like 3 more weeks and get a fitting and test the following:
Mizuno MMC
Mizuno JPX forged
Maybe try the Mizuno JPX tours for giggles
TayloMade P770 (the newest model)
Titleist T100S
New Srixons - ZX5 and ZX7. Perhaps consider a combo (5's in the long irons, 7s in the shorter ones)

Funny to read guys say MMC hands down. I own the T100S irons and I would say they feel quite good, very good actually.

I will say that the T100S irons have VERY small heads and can intimidate some. I've played some fantastic golf with them this season.

I would say to wait a few more weeks and check out Mizzys near gear coming. Sounds like the JPX forged model is going to be VERY good.
Also, I'm reading that the new TaylorMade P770s are impressive. I owned the older model P770 irons are they were fantastic.

The nice thing about Mizzy irons is you can get really incredible shafts for no extra up charge. Titleist likes to charge for anything fancy.

Mizuno MMC
Mizuno JPX forged
Titleist T100S
New Srixons - ZX5 and ZX7. Perhaps consider a combo (5's in the long irons, 7s in the shorter ones)

i haven’t hit the t100 yet, but i was pretty unimpressed by mmc when i hit it. was pretty far down my ranking in the fitting.

i haven’t hit the t100 yet, but i was pretty unimpressed by mmc when i hit it. was pretty far down my ranking in the fitting.

Interesting. Perhaps share your top 3 for Boogie? Maybe he will want to try those out.

Interesting. Perhaps share your top 3 for Boogie? Maybe he will want to try those out.

apex pro 19
apex cf19
p790 (which was surprising since i hated it the previous time i tested it but really enjoyed it in that session)

apex pro 19
apex cf19
p790 (which was surprising since i hated it the previous time i tested it but really enjoyed it in that session)

Apex Pros were a great set of irons for me last season. I enjoyed those for sure.

P790 I'd be leery of, only from a distance consistency point of view. The new P770 they have coming sounds/looks good.

On the T100S front..... I will say......they have surprised me in EVERY round I've played in terms of their forgiveness. I've hit a number of nasty little toe shots that kept most of their distance and line. Having said that.....the heads are small. I'm used to them now, but I've gamed blades with larger heads.

Apex Pros were a great set of irons for me last season. I enjoyed those for sure.

P790 I'd be leery of, only from a distance consistency point of view. The new P770 they have coming sounds/looks good.

i’m still pretty leery when it comes to the flier debate, but that’s a different discussion for a different thread

Mizuno MMC
Mizuno JPX forged
Titleist T100S

Definitely some food for thought here. Had no idea there was new gear coming out. I could probably finish up the season with my current set no issues and then look to hit some of these new clubs.

Some great info from everyone on here. I really appreciate the insight you guys have shared. Great community here!

Mizuno MMC
Mizuno JPX forged
Titleist T100S

Great suggestion...

I ran across a set of MMCs that were barely used and decided to grab them. I have been enjoying my Forged Tecs tremendously. Anyone who follows that thread knows of my affinity for them. That having been said, I am really loving the MMCs. I had a set of TaylorMade P770s that I wish I had never gotten rid of. They felt so good, were fairly forgiving and they just gave me such consistent distances. The MMCs are doing the same thing.

I played a round over the weekend with them and I shot a 73, hitting 13 greens and 9 very good birdie looks, making 3 birdies. I should have shot in the 60’s, but I wasn’t making putts. What I am seeing is that I have much more consistent gapping through my wedges and up to my 7 iron. When I miss, yes, I am punished and probably won’t hit as many greens as with a player‘s distance profile, but I am definitely seeing better proximity to the pin on well struck shots.

The MMCs are much more forgiving than I would have ever guessed. I am really excited to see some of the new offerings, but I don’t know that I am going to be tempted to actually put something else in the bag. So, a ringing endorsement here for the MMCs.

In those profiles? Hard not to give the Srixon 785/585 a look, I think the 585 might surprise you.

The 585/785 combo set is amazing. It definitely deserves a look.

I ran across a set of MMCs that were barely used and decided to grab them. I have been enjoying my Forged Tecs tremendously. Anyone who follows that thread knows of my affinity for them. That having been said, I am really loving the MMCs. I had a set of TaylorMade P770s that I wish I had never gotten rid of. They felt so good, were fairly forgiving and they just gave me such consistent distances. The MMCs are doing the same thing.

I played a round over the weekend with them and I shot a 73, hitting 13 greens and 9 very good birdie looks, making 3 birdies. I should have shot in the 60’s, but I wasn’t making putts. What I am seeing is that I have much more consistent gapping through my wedges and up to my 7 iron. When I miss, yes, I am punished and probably won’t hit as many greens as with a player‘s distance profile, but I am definitely seeing better proximity to the pin on well struck shots.

The MMCs are much more forgiving than I would have ever guessed. I am really excited to see some of the new offerings, but I don’t know that I am going to be tempted to actually put something else in the bag. So, a ringing endorsement here for the MMCs.

Thanks so much for the feedback Tenputt. You sir are light years a head of me in terms of score. I’d struggle to hit 85, while cracking 80 for you is probably a fairly consistent thing. When you say you were punished on your missed shots, how bad was it?

The MMC's are amazing in every way!! I also had the p770's when they came out and loved them.

Before being picked for Morgan cup I was fit to the MMC's and they are just so damn good. Great look behind the ball, thin topline but not super tiny blades, and feel incredible at contact..... I really regret selling both of those irons

Back