MPCC - Monterey Peninsula Country Club

Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
Finally got to play MPCC today, so I thought I’d jot down my thoughts, add some pictures. I’ve been trying to get on there for a while and today was finally the day. It completes my Monterey Peninsula bingo card as I’ve now played them all in the area (Cypress isn’t on my card because I have zero chance of ever playing LOL). 2 courses at the club, Dunes and Shore. Shore is the one one I got to play and was on the rotation for the AT&T Pro-Am (dropped for next year with the change in format). Tipping is forbidden, which is good and no money changes hands. If you get something from the hut or the lounge at the end, it gets automatically charged to the member. Prices are ridiculously low though. The course opens with some tree lined inland courses, before heading out to the coastline and you play by the ocean for 12 or so holes. It’s a limited private club that isn’t open to the public, so even though the tee sheet was apparently full, we never waited on one shot. Course is immaculate with perfect fairways, although they are cut quite tight, which with my iron play, isn’t exactly confidence inspiring. The greens were some of the fastest I’ve played (they were in the last stage of recovery after being punched but were still super smooth and true, and were receptive too). It was pretty breezy along the Oceanside holes, but it’s Monterey, so it’s expected. Overall, not as good as Spyglass, probably on a par with pebble. All in all though a great experience. Plenty of rules (no shoe changing in the car park, no caps in the lounge, no phone calls on the course, no shorts), but it never felt stuffy. Glad I was able to cross it off the list.
IMG_9001.jpeg
IMG_9002.jpeg
IMG_9005.jpeg
IMG_9006.jpeg
IMG_9008.jpeg

IMG_9010.jpeg
IMG_9012.jpeg
IMG_9013.jpeg
IMG_9015.jpeg
IMG_9017.jpeg

Beautiful. How did you play?

Kinda has that Spyglass feel with the ocean into the inland vibe by the looks of it 😍

Beautiful. How did you play?
The wind was tough, and you had to hit the ball smack in the middle of the hole or it wasn’t going in, so green were a little tough. It wasn’t a mare, but I didn’t set any course records.

Kinda has that Spyglass feel with the ocean into the inland vibe by the looks of it 😍
Very similar in that it starts and ends inland with ocean holes mixed in. The ocean holes are much much better on MPCC, they have prime Oceanside real estate. I’d rank Spyglass better overall though.

The wind was tough, and you had to hit the ball smack in the middle of the hole or it wasn’t going in, so green were a little tough. It wasn’t a mare, but I didn’t set any course records.
Still awesome that you got to check one off the list!

Still awesome that you got to check one off the list!

And bump into Manalo, the Instagram guy who randomly, was in the group behind me LOL. Dassit!

Very similar in that it starts and ends inland with ocean holes mixed in. The ocean holes are much much better on MPCC, they have prime Oceanside real estate. I’d rank Spyglass better overall though.
Mad, mad jealous Mark. Hell of bucket list course to scratch off

Awesome. Yup that one is on my list as well! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics

My buddy is a member there... When he finally gets back from his overseas tour(s), his welcome back will be me telling him that I'll be his and his wife's guest for a round 😂

Oh goodness, that’s beautiful! Your photos are great, thanks for sharing it with us.

That’s awesome Mark, definitely up there on my bucket list. I’ve got a buddy who has a connection but it hasn’t helped my cause. Don’t give up on Cypress, I believe in you!

Sweet. Thanks posting. I drove into CP once. Walked in and chatted with pro and asked if I could play. He smiled and said must be guest of member and I responded was hoping to play with Mr Maxwell but he couldn't make it, I was friend of his son. He just said he needed to be present. So I grabbed a few scorecards and pencils which was my main plan.

MPCC is great. I was just there too. Played the Shore course the day before Thanksgiving. For being recently punched the greens were rolling so true. Which is a shame because I couldn't blame my poor putts on the conditions lol.

I'll be fortunate enough to play both the Dunes and Shore course this Saturday! I'm just hoping the weather cooperates lol

Back