Mtbloco goes to True Spec Scottsdale

mtbloco

Grandaddy X!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This year I've been fortunate enough to spend a lot of quality time on the course with my Ben Hogan PTx Pros. When selected for that experience, my cap was 25.5 and raising. But I felt confident and curious about what would happen if I spent time with a "players" iron. Nearly 70 rounds of golf later, it was quite the ride. My index rose to a peak of 26.4 in late March then loco learned to play golf. My index dropped as low as 18.9, and is stable at 19.2. The Hogans taught me a lot about my swing and golf. They are an absolute joy when you hit the properly. But I know I need more forgiveness from my clubs. So i decided it was time to get my first full iron fitting.

Living in PHX metro, I have quite a few good options for fitting. I choose True Spec in Scottsdale.

IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0807.jpg

Two hitting bays and through that glass door is the production facility. My fitting with Eric started with some background and conversations about what I was looking for from the fitting. When I told him about how I'd improved he asked me straight out...why are you looking to change then? I smiled and said, you'll see. I'm hopeful some improvements in consistency can be found. My previous "fitting" was from a box store when i first decided to take golf back up. My swing has improved, the final result really speaks to what fitting can do for anyone.

Eric took my clubs and did some measurements, while he had me warm up in the hitting bay. and get comfortable with hitting my 6i. Once I was ready, he had me hit six balls to form a base line. (hit six, reject one was the plan for all data collection) Then opened his drawers for toys pulling the five irons for me to compare against my gammers.

IMG_0808.jpg

Titleist T300, Srixon ZX5, Ping i210, Taylormade P770 and Callaway Apex Pro. All with Dti 95S shaft. I knew I needed spin. He chose this selection of heads to help with launch and give me similar feel to the forged Hogans. I was curious why the P770 and Apex Pro....he said the other heads from those manufactures would be too low spin for me. and these would provide a better basis to move forward.

Off I went to hit some golf balls. Data time:
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 4.30.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 4.31.10 PM.png

Based on these irons, the ZX5 seemed to stand out. In how it felt and how I was more consistent with my face control. This resulted in the best dispersion of all the heads. The balls peed I was getting from the P770 was really good. but my misses were more severely punished.

Then Eric started changing shafts and even changed the length on me. the last shaft I tested created a combination that really stood out.

Dti 95S, SteelFiber 90s, Accra i75, KBS TGI 70, and UST Mamiya "Elements" Recoil 807 "F3".

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 9.28.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 4.38.35 PM.png

When all was said and done the comparing my gammers to the optimal irons was crazy to see the improvement that an hours time, a GC Quad and a knowledgeable fitter could produce. I'm so glad I had a good swing day. I almost holed out during the final testing.

And yes, we put the 770 head in the final shaft and the ZX5 still crushed it. Every time I went back to the ZX5 i just preformed. Finding the center of the face way more often. In fact it was the only iron that I could put strike marks on top of each other.

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.59.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.59.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Nice. Speed/carry/launch all went up, but spin went down. What was peak height on both gamer and the Srixon? Any discussion of a change in golf ball to get a little more spin?

ZX5s (and ZX7s) knocked Mizuno and Titliest out of my bag. I’m still surprised by them almost every round. Lots of great iron/shaft combos to choose from these days. Good on you for doing the fitting session.

Nice. Speed/carry/launch all went up, but spin went down. What was peak height on both gamer and the Srixon? Any discussion of a change in golf ball to get a little more spin?

I dont have peak height data to compare, but it's clearly higher in the final comparison. those are the average trace for each. When i get the set made, I will have them bent 1 deg weak. this should add some spin back and further improve the peak height. It hopefully will gap better to my wedges.

All data was collected with a ProV1x. The ball I'm currently playing as I wanted to get a true sense of how that ball preformed for me, so I use that as basis for comparing other balls. No, I did not ask the fitter about ball choice.

Did you get descent angle? Now to order them

Did you get descent angle? Now to order them
Edit….
Now I understand. No. That wasn’t in the report. I’m sure it was there during the fitting. I was just swinging and telling what I felt.

Last edited:
That is awesome!!! Glad you had a good fitting. Solid numbers.

Awesome review and description of the process!

Very awesome experience!

Sounds like a great experience, now I'll bet you're looking forward to getting the clubs!

Did you get descent angle?
From those numbers the peak height should be 7 or 8 ft higher with the Srixon, but mathematically I don't feel like the descent angles would be much different. Real world would be based more on conditions.

Cool fit @mtbloco . Thanks for sharing with us!

I do like True Spec, they do a good job. Going from sexy irons to sexy irons.

Sounds like a great fitting! I got fit to the zx5 driver and it booted my g400 max pretty easily

Enjoy!

Great to see comparative stats on equipment. Cool to see the starting spot and watching it change throughout to optimize for you. What’s the choice on grips?

Sounds like a great experience(and WHAT a year you have had scoring wise!)! Next up Arizona THP Golf League Champ!

Awesome info there @mtbloco! I am curious, what prompted them to pull the Apex Pro rather than the standard? I admit I'm not as familiar with TM or Ping offerings, but ZX5 and T300 are geared a bit more toward GI rather than Player Distance right?

Good luck with the new irons. I didn’t catch what shaft is in your current irons. It looks like you went lighter graphite so I will be interested to see how things translate to consistency on the golf course.

Regarding iron head selections I wonder if the fitter chose based off of what he knew he had in stock. Given you handicap and my understanding of the different manufacturer’s lineups I would have thought the Apex 21 would have made sense to try and the P790 vs the P770. That said I think the ZX5 is an awesome choice and the numbers look awesome.

Awesome info there @mtbloco! I am curious, what prompted them to pull the Apex Pro rather than the standard? I admit I'm not as familiar with TM or Ping offerings, but ZX5 and T300 are geared a bit more toward GI rather than Player Distance right?

The forged ZX5 is the Player Distance iron in the ZX series. And they’re awesome 😎

The forged ZX5 is the Player Distance iron in the ZX series. And they’re awesome 😎
Interesting, I didn't know the ZX5 were the PD offering. Well I guess I'd have to look at the ZX4 instead if I ever have the chance :LOL:

Great to see comparative stats on equipment. Cool to see the starting spot and watching it change throughout to optimize for you. What’s the choice on grips?
I’ll be sticking with CP2 Wrap MID that I currently use.

Eric said the regular apex would drop my spin even lower. So not a good option. That was also his rationale for no Mizzuno.
As my numbers show…I need spin.

Good luck with the new irons. I didn’t catch what shaft is in your current irons. It looks like you went lighter graphite so I will be interested to see how things translate to consistency on the golf course.

Regarding iron head selections I wonder if the fitter chose based off of what he knew he had in stock. Given you handicap and my understanding of the different manufacturer’s lineups I would have thought the Apex 21 would have made sense to try and the P790 vs the P770. That said I think the ZX5 is an awesome choice and the numbers look awesome.
My gamers have UST Recoil Proto 95 F4 in then. So yes these shafts stayed in the realm. But promoted more height.

spin. Was the major reason for apex pro over apex. As the pro should offer me more spin. They felt the best of the bunch. But my standard deviation with them was way worse. So, too much club for me.

Back