Mulligans are getting out of control.

, or can’t count.
I will admit it does drive me nuts when one person is keeping score and there is “put me down for a 5” guy when it took him 6 strokes just to get to the Green. If you are going to play that way, keep your own score. Its just get annoying.

during our group outing we play a game called reverse mulligan... take as many mulligans as you want, but as newtons law states... every action has an equal and opposite reaction....

Take a mulligan - i get to call a reverse mulligan on you during a good shot and shout "DO IT AGAIN!"

Other than that - one mulligan a side is a lot.

We have never held up a group playing that game or taking mulligans - it is a quick reload.

I’ve heard this referred to as the Null-igan

What if you're waiting on the group in front of you anyway/no matter what? If someone takes a mulligan on one hole so then your wait on the next tee box is 1 minute shorter, is that a bad thing?
Where probably waiting on the group in front of us because of their excessive mulligans and so and so on. It just takes a few mulligan takers to back up the whole course. It's a practice that is a bad habit and has become to widely acceptable. Again, this is about "excessive" mulligans not just a random mulligan. This is also about playing with randoms and not your regular foursome who is all on the same page.
Heck, last week I played with a guy who literally took a mulligan at every tee box no matter what his first shot looked like. You need to have the patience of a saint to deal with that. It wasn't just the mulligan but the whole pre shot routine, look for his tee and let's not forget a trip back to the cart to get another ball, C'mon man.

Where probably waiting on the group in front of us because of their excessive mulligans and so and so on. It just takes a few mulligan takers to back up the whole course. It's a practice that is a bad habit and has become to widely acceptable. Again, this is about "excessive" mulligans not just a random mulligan. This is also about playing with randoms and not your regular foursome who is all on the same page.
Heck, last week I played with a guy who literally took a mulligan at every tee box no matter what his first shot looked like. You need to have the patience of a saint to deal with that. It wasn't just the mulligan but the whole pre shot routine, look for his tee and let's not forget a trip back to the cart to get another ball, C'mon man.
In my hypothetical. During a Saturday afternoon and just general slow play is leading to the waiting. Not mulligans.

In my hypothetical. During a Saturday afternoon and just general slow play is leading to the waiting. Not mulligans.
Yeah. Mulligans are not the cause of the 6.5 hour round I recently had..

I reckon I’m old enough to remember “you can tell a lot about a person by the way the play golf”

All you gotta do now is follow them on Instagram. People living the dream!! 🤣

But by all means, if you wanna play crybaby whack phuck, go for it! Pick whichever rules you want! Have fun!

Just don’t call it golf.
It’s sure as hell golf.

Born and raised in NYC should answer that question.

I always laugh when people throw out NYC as a reasonable excuse to be something other than nice... "Oh, NYC, Oh ok.. You get a pass to all socially accepted norms.. "

It’s sure as hell golf.

I agree, though I'm interested in hearing more about crybaby whack phuck. I played a game like that once, and boy was i happy i didn't forget the safe word

You can call whatever you want and I’ll do the same.
Absolutely, and since there are golf clubs, golf balls, a golf course, and golf swings being made…it’s golf.

You can call whatever you want and I’ll do the same.
You seem pretty concerned about what others are doing on the course. If you're not playing them for money, why expend the energy?

I always laugh when people throw out NYC as a reasonable excuse to be something other than nice... "Oh, NYC, Oh ok.. You get a pass to all socially accepted norms.. "
I'm nice, I just don't have much patience, there is a difference 😉 spend about 40 years there and you would understand. 😉

You seem pretty concerned about what others are doing on the course. If you're not playing them for money, why expend the energy?

You seem rather concerned about my perception of how golf should be played. If it’s OK with you, I’ll just continue to do so. I stated that you pick and chose all the rules you like, hit until you’re happy. But as was stated by another member, don’t pretend you actually have a “score”.

I really don’t care what you do on the course. Have at it. Play whatever you want, do what you want. But if it’s OK, may I do the same?

Absolutely, and since there are golf clubs, golf balls, a golf course, and golf swings being made…it’s golf.
you had me until 'golf swing' and what I did off the tee on tuesday was NOT golf 😄

You seem rather concerned about my perception of how golf should be played. If it’s OK with you, I’ll just continue to do so. I stated that you pick and chose all the rules you like, hit until you’re happy. But as was stated by another member, don’t pretend you actually have a “score”.

I really don’t care what you do on the course. Have at it. Play whatever you want, do what you want. But if it’s OK, may I do the same?
Just so we can get some real depth on your perspective..

Have you ever accepted or taken a gimme before?

Play whatever you want, do what you want. But if it’s OK, may I do the same?

Nobody is complaining about how YOU play golf. You're complaining about how THEY play golf.

FWIW, I played strict rules even on guy's weekend rounds this year so I could post rounds. It's fun for me either way. ;)

If it’s not a tournament, why do we care how others enjoy golf?
I play with mates , and we all have stack about the game and l would guess as many do .. compare or talk about great shots … if we all don’t play be the same standard
Then let’s just have any amount of clubs , tee off where you like not at the start of hole, or play in any random way….

when youmeasure you game you comparing against yourself and others , if your not operations under the same “ set of rules “ then how is that fair comparison …

why should you care ? I would think in many ways it affects you - eg : slow play , damage to greens or fairways. Lack
Of understanding of rules, also perhaps a danger to others on course …

Nobody is complaining about how YOU play golf. You're complaining about how THEY play golf.

FWIW, I played strict rules even on guy's weekend rounds this year so I could post rounds. It's fun for me either way. ;)
This.

It’s a two way street, except on the internet whereI guess only one street is allowed.

I play with mates , and we all have stack about the game and l would guess as many do .. compare or talk about great shots … if we all don’t play be the same standard
Then let’s just have any amount of clubs , tee off where you like not at the start of hole, or play in any random way….

when youmeasure you game you comparing against yourself and others , if your not operations under the same “ set of rules “ then how is that fair comparison …

why should you care ? I would think in many ways it affects you - eg : slow play , damage to greens or fairways. Lack
Of understanding of rules, also perhaps a danger to others on course …
Slow play, sure. Damage, sure.

But because someone doesn’t keep score, takes mulligans, plays 18 clubs, has their own standard that isn’t yours, doesn’t mean they aren’t playing golf and they shouldn’t be able to enjoy it.

I will never cease to be amazed at how much care is put into how others choose to enjoy this game.

Slow play, sure. Damage, sure.

But because someone doesn’t keep score, takes mulligans, plays 18 clubs, has their own standard that isn’t yours, doesn’t mean they aren’t playing golf and they shouldn’t be able to enjoy it.
I am fine with all of that but if some pulls out a non-conforming club I am burning this course down to the ground!

Back