Municipal Golfers

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
So, who out there is like me? I learned this game playing local munis, have never played a club (outside of a scramble or a couple HS events - I played in HS - but even then most rounds were on Munis). I think today 90% (maybe more) of my golf is on old fashioned munis, and the remainder is on daily fee courses. I have probably played 10 rounds in my life that were on private club courses.

As far as learning, my dad taught me most of what I know - and some of that was terrible, he taught me how to swear on the course - ha! I have had maybe 5 lessons - 2 were all day events back in the day where it was called the 3 club tour, one year it was sponsored by cleveland and the other it was sponsored by Callaway. I have listened in on teachers working with my daughter - who played for her HS. Have never been truly fit for clubs. Though I did get fit for irons when I got my Ta-7's (mentioned for putting a time frame on things). I was measured with the Ping wall chart, then hit balls off a strike plate (?), then the fitter explained things - 2 degrees up and 1/2" over. I have played off the rack, I have extended some clubs, and finally (presently) I bought a new set of irons that were again made to the measured specs (with wedges 1 degree up, as I read we tend to swing those less 'violently'). Returning to that set up 2 up and 1/2 over seems to have helped.

Who else has been purely public? For me it makes me really appreciate the well manicured courses when I get to play them and for @Canadan, it makes me less concerned about dress codes - though I have seen some interesting outfits on those overplayed munis.

I took up this game two years ago learning on L.A. city municipal courses and have only played muni/public courses up here in Maine and I am fine with that. 😎

We have a few good munis here, but most are just overplayed, very slow and at times very poorly maintained. That said, I still enjoy them for the most part.

I took up this game two years ago learning on L.A. city municipal courses and have only played muni/public courses up here in Maine and I am fine with that. 😎
Good to hear, I did not mean to suggest that munis were not playable, just wanted to get a picture of who has followed a similar path (so to speak), maybe they play great and can help me!

All muni play for me except when I get an invite to play a private course.

I got to play a private course when I was a kid and as a caddie, we could play on Mondays when the course was closed to the members. My father finally got to join that course but unfortunately, he passed away after only getting to play there 3 times and I never got the chance to play there with him. Since then, it’s been all public courses for me.

Does muni mean owned by the municipality? There aren't that many around here. They are far outnumbered by the public, pay as you go courses. That's where I've spent my time. I don't think I've ever played a private course.

Aren’t too many muni city owned courses here. I believe there are three? One is in an area that’s okay. The other has a lot of traffic nightmares to deal with getting out of there, and then the other is just not in the greatest part of town.

Public golf though, there’s enough to get by. Going private though if you can find a cost that makes sense or you get the benefits you want is pretty huge

I’ve played municipal courses most of my life. In Nashville, they are well maintained, but very crowded. I now play more daily fee courses. Just playing golf is good enough for me.

Play all muni's unless I'm on vacation where I like to play some really nice courses. I've been fortunate though as most courses in Lincoln, Omaha and surrounding areas are really quite nice. Also go out to central and western Nebraska twice a year to play sand-hills courses that are unique and a ton of fun. You need to be lucky and get a day when the wind isn't blowing too hard. There are very few/no trees on some of those courses so a windy day can make for a challenging 18. My normal days off are Monday and Tuesday so I miss the congestion that weekends bring to muni's.

Mostly munis for me. Long term instruction was on a muni. There's been a few private courses played, and except for one, not really a big deal.

At the end of the day, the game's still the same no matter where played. Hit the ball, go find it, and hit it again until you roll it into the cup 9/18 times.

I've played maybe 10 rounds on my cousin's private course in Dallas.

Otherwise, it's been Air Force base, public or munis courses for all my other golf!

I am a member at a municipal course and have played it almost exclusively for the past 19 years. Since it is owned by the city it has a limited budget but the superintendent somehow keeps it in really good shape. It can get very crowded, especially on the weekends. We have a member group that plays weekdays so there is always a game available.

I played muni courses most of the time for almost30 years. Since 1990 I have played semi private courses. The munis back in the early 60's and 70;s weren't as crowded as they must be now.

Not many full length Muni tracks around me.. the ones we have are mostly par 3’s, which are fun. I play a mix of courses, muni, public and my regular course which is a little 9 hole track. I enjoy all pretty equally as each has something to offer.

I am a Muni guy. My grandparents were members at a Private club when I was growing up and it was always nice to see how the other half lived.

All public here. Minus a THP event and some charity scrambles.

We have a lot of good public courses by me though.
Agreed, a lot of the public/mini courses in this area are maintained like they are private

I play muni, daily fee, and once was a member of a private club for 4 years. I did grow tired of the same club just as I do with the same muni. I like the freedom of moving around. I've found bad greens on daily fees, munis, and private courses and great greens on the same types of courses.

Only Public or Muni courses for me except I have one friend with a membership that I am allowed to play as a guest once a month. Here the private course factor is too steep a fee. Lowest initiation fee for a club in town is $10k then around $900 a month after that. They go all the way up to $80k after that then there are two clubs that you have to be put a wait list for someone to die so you can pay who knows how much to join. I love golf but not buy a 2nd house price to get to play 8 months out of the year. Some can afford it, I cannot so our Muni courses are packed and slow but are $50 a round the public courses are on average $70-$80 a round. So I get to practice a lot because buckets of balls are only $10-$12 and putting is free.

I play a lot of Muni courses in Louisville and have only played those and daily fee courses. I get to play a private course in Atlanta when visiting my buddy from time to time.

I try to play as many different course as I can and want to join a club in the future but I love our local munis in San Diego. Besides Torrey being tour quality for an amazing resident price we have some other gems that I love to play.

I hold up my PW like a divining rod, and wherever it takes me I play. But mostly Munis. :rolleyes:

It’s a little complicated up here. Both fully maintained courses are privately owned, but receive funding through sports grants from the government to varying degrees. So they’re more public than anything, I suppose since they don’t really turn anyone away. No initiation fees, with pay per play, punchcard, and season membership options.

I almost always play privately owned public daily fee courses. The municipal course are usually in pretty good shape. But they have serious issues with management taking care of the "regulars" at the expense of everyone else. Customer service is much better at the privately owned courses.

Back