Municipal Golfers

I don't believe I've ever played a course that isn't open to the public. The municipal and privately owned, open to the public courses I've played have been fine. Other than less-crowded conditions (which is very desirable), I see no reason to join or even play at a private course.

I've never played a truly private course - only munis, semi-private (public/daily fee) and resort courses. I don't even know where the nearest private course is anywhere near me - probably at least a 2+ hour drive away in any direction.

Where I am there aren’t very many true munis (meaning owned by a municipality). There a ton of public courses that are very similar to what most would expect from a muni, though. That’s where all of my golf has been played. I’ve never played on a private course, and I really don’t have any itch to do so.

I’m pretty spoilt for golf where I live. But I’ve chosen to join a muni. Pacific Grove does happen to be one of the best courses in Monterey though.

Public for me.

I play a lot of muni course with a few nicer ones mixed in here and there. It really does make you appreciate a nicer course (especially THP events) I also feel like playing muni courses helps a lot with your game with some of the conditions and shots you have to make. When I go to a nicer course I usually play better with conditions and better lies if your hitting it well. However sometimes those nicer course the rough can be very punishing being thick and full.

I've played maybe 10 rounds on my cousin's private course in Dallas.

Otherwise, it's been Air Force base, public or munis courses for all my other golf!
As I recall, having worked for several bird Colonels and a 1 star - AF base courses were often times as nice or nicer than some private clubs! Was that your experience?

My local muni was once an Air Force course here in Myrtle Beach. When the city first took it over it went downhill, but 3 years ago they brought in new management and greatly improved it. I met a guy who had played it when it was the base course and he said its now even better than it was then.

My local muni was once an Air Force course here in Myrtle Beach. When the city first took it over it went downhill, but 3 years ago they brought in new management and greatly improved it. I met a guy who had played it when it was the base course and he said its now even better than it was then.
That sounds vaguely familiar, I either heard that story before (that it was an AF course) or I played it - not sure which What's the course?

The USAF knows their golf and off duty recreation better than any other branch - though I would have loved to hit some balls off the fantail of a USN ship moving at 30 knots in the opposite direction - Long drives!

Grew up playing munis and still play them along with the other publics. Have only played a couple of private clubs.

Munis and public for me. Some are nicer than others, but nothing to complain too much about.

I've only been to private courses twice in my life and didn't get to play at either time (once for a wedding and once for a work event).

I play almost ever round on public courses. There really isn't any difference between the city owned courses and privately owned public courses in my area. I played a few times at a private club my friend was a member at but he has since left due to the cost.

This post didn’t take me awaiting PGA approval, I’m on my own. As an ambassador (f**k I’m old) now, my PGA Pro membership was I believe as easy as passing a PAT 24-25 years ago. Back then it was just a hungover morning for me and my new Club Pro sponsoring the thing for me (new boss). I passed. Yay.

That summer I’d rather forget, I played about 90 less rounds than the year before despite having access to the best local course. And living on it. I did have to however throw Mr ***** off the course by force because he was hitting balls at “patrons” cars from the 10th tee.

I let him know that wasn’t cool. He said he could pay their repairs (could). I let him know no one cared. I won’t say what happened next but I don’t enter physical encounters unless I know I can win them going in (top 10 in something I’m not, otherwise... walk. I don’t lose fights. I damn sure didn’t then. I don’t lose them now. Last one I was in I managed to hold down the guy (6’1” 220 SOLID, and on PCP 😳 ) while on the phone with 911. He was still there and when I made my phone call. He was still there when they got there. I’d love to hear that call though. I was fighting and calling and trying to hold down all at once.

Edit:
He didn’t drive off. I was a paragraph or two or three up.

I was a member at my local muni for years. Still love to get out there!

This post didn’t take me awaiting PGA approval, I’m on my own. As an ambassador (f**k I’m old) now, my PGA Pro membership was I believe as easy as passing a PAT 24-25 years ago. Back then it was just a hungover morning for me and my new Club Pro sponsoring the thing for me (new boss). I passed. Yay.

That summer I’d rather forget, I played about 90 less rounds than the year before despite having access to the best local course. And living on it. I did have to however throw Mr ***** off the course by force because he was hitting balls at “patrons” cars from the 10th tee.

I let him know that wasn’t cool. He said he could pay their repairs (could). I let him know no one cared. I won’t say what happened next but I don’t enter physical encounters unless I know I can win them going in (top 10 in something I’m not, otherwise... walk. I don’t lose fights. I damn sure didn’t then. I don’t lose them now. Last one I was in I managed to hold down the guy (6’1” 220 SOLID, and on PCP 😳 ) while on the phone with 911. He was still there and when I made my phone call. He was still there when they got there. I’d love to hear that call though. I was fighting and calling and trying to hold down all at once.

Edit:
He didn’t drive off. I was a paragraph or two or three up.
5' 4", 190 pounds of dubious muscle tone/cellulite/bad attitude.
You want some of this?

To the OP, always public courses. I 'don't remember even driving up to a private course, much less playing one.

As I recall, having worked for several bird Colonels and a 1 star - AF base courses were often times as nice or nicer than some private clubs! Was that your experience?
I've played a few military courses - Admiral Baker (USN - San Diego), Sea 'n' Air (USN - NASNI), Marine Memorial (USMC - Camp Pendleton), General Old (USAF - March AFB). All of them were kept in better shape than any muni I've ever played, and better than most semi-private courses as well. General Old was the most humble of them, but a real jewel for the price!

I learned and now play 99% of my rounds on Muni courses. I have played a handful (maybe a dozen) rounds on Private Courses where some friends are members.

I've played very, very little golf outside of public courses. Most of those have been munis. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I played munis and daily pay, now a member of Great life golf and fitness. Cheaper if you are a member, but don't turn anyone away. Played many Air force courses, loved the par 3 at Hickam AFB. Usually played all day.

We don't have a true municipal course in our county. However, the local Elks Lodge runs a course in the corporation limits that is basically a "local muni"... the schools play & practice there, at least the middle school & girls teams. Its a great place for kids to learn the game and seniors to get their weekday morning rounds/leagues in. Hosts some fun scramble/charity tournaments thru the year. Even holds a night golf event in the heat of the summer.

The course itself used to be immaculately kept. It can still be really nice though they've had some financial issues that have led to maintenance problems.

The place really serves a great purpose for the community. We are fortunate to have it.

No "muni" courses in my area, just inexpensive public courses. And I love them. In this part of New England, it is a bit rare to have a town of city owned golf course.

All public courses here except 2 country clubs that I played as a guest a couple of times.

I've played a lot of both for sure. Around my area, most of the courses are "clubs" BUT, you can play all but a few of them if you call and ask. Lot's of small 9 hole courses that barely make ends meet to maintain the course, let alone turn people away with cash that want to play. We have one 18 hole "club" that you have to be a member at, however there's always been talk about shady activity that the owners do under the table there. Hard to say. When you push out over an hour, you'll find more clubs...and when you get to the bigger area's there are a number of muni's to be found.

Back