Music on the course or not?

Nope, never on the course, I know people will dislike my music taste and I won't let them subject their tastes on me. The only time I listen to music is at the range so I don't have to hear people talk or chunk the ball and just get into my isolated zone.

Most of the time I like it. We all like the same types of music ( classic rock, 70’s hits, Steely Dan, Carolina beach music) so its acceptable and enjoyed by all. We adhere to turning it down approaching other groups and not play so loud to be distracting to each player.

I am in the NOT camp. Its a huge distraction for me.
I personally don mind it, as long as its kept at a resonable volume. If someone is blasting it to where the whole golf course can hear it, its too loud.

Not really a problem for me. My home course winds thru a housing development, with back yards open to most of the fairways/greens.

A lot of times there's music being played in those back yards.

If any players brought their own music, that's not a problem either.

In a more general statement that will create even more tension...I gotta be honest with you all as a new golfer. Only been playing about a 1.5 years, and I find some of the etiquette stuff in golf to be ridiculous. I've had people get mad at me because I moved my cart in attempt to jump ahead to find my next shot and someone was on the other side of the fairway hitting their 7i. It makes no sense to me. This to me fits in that camp. It's like the only sport that demands pure silence on a golf shot, so some mild chit chat, low volume music that isn't laced with curse words, I see no issue with it. I'm still a big believer in keeping the course FAMILY friendly because people do bring their kids and such, so I'm not a fan of loud curse ridden music, but all in all if the sound is mild why not?

I enjoy music on the on the course. Never got the whole its distracting thing, every other sport has music and noise. Golf you have to be perfectly quite and still. Get over it, you missed the 3 ft putt because you suck, it wasn't the music from someone's speaker 3 holes away.

I can definitely see how it can impact your play. When I play my best golf I usually have a song running through my head with rhythm that is good for my swing. With music that is jumping around or fast paced songs it can impact the tempo in my swing.

Over the past couple of years I have started wearing headphones on the range listening to music and that has helped me work through that.

In a more general statement that will create even more tension...I gotta be honest with you all as a new golfer. Only been playing about a 1.5 years, and I find some of the etiquette stuff in golf to be ridiculous. I've had people get mad at me because I moved my cart in attempt to jump ahead to find my next shot and someone was on the other side of the fairway hitting their 7i. It makes no sense to me. This to me fits in that camp. It's like the only sport that demands pure silence on a golf shot, so some mild chit chat, low volume music that isn't laced with curse words, I see no issue with it. I'm still a big believer in keeping the course FAMILY friendly because people do bring their kids and such, so I'm not a fan of loud curse ridden music, but all in all if the sound is mild why not?

If your cart make a noise in the middle of the swing it can cause a flinch. I totally get that. I have the attention span of a puppy and sometimes that kind of stuff distracts me. Frankly having some music in the background would help to mask that. I think the noise issue is the fact that you are outside without a lot of other people around so it is quiet. When a noise interrupts the quiet it can make you flinch. It is totally different than a basketball or football game when there is constant noise. Frankly if fans wanted to disrupt a free throw shooter they should be dead silent then make a loud noise right before the player releases the shot.

Why does this topic get a new thread every few weeks?

Oh and I like music during a round. I don't think the volume needs to be concert level but after awhile I don't even hear the music.

I'm ok with it as long as it's not too loud.

I like mine at a low volume... if you're a few feet away, you'll probably not hear it. I prefer ear buds so no one really has to know about my questionable taste in music:ROFLMAO:

But seriously. I've played at golf with fighter jets flying over head, engines running on test pads, and noisy roads nearby. A little music on the course doesn't bother me.

I like having some music playing.

Thought it would distract me, but don't hear it at all when I get over a shot

Put me in the No category. When I can hear it 3 holes away it is way too loud.

Just my opinion but I love the peacefulness of golf. The smell of the grass and peacefulness...of course until I fat an iron, then it gets loud ;)

ALWAYS play music on the course

Personally I am not a fan of music on the course, but if someone insists on playing it, then I don't want to be able to hear it

The only time I listen to music is when I am at the range practicing, and even then I have ear buds in - it helps me work on tempo, but it also doubles as a way to ignore people shouting across bays to each other when it happens

The impact sound of a well struck shot is the only music a player should need.

Yes, I enjoy music while I play. Anything from Classic Rock to 90's-2000's hip hop to Old school Rap to 80's/90's Country and everything in between. Just depends on my mood and who I'm golfing with.

One of the reasons I like golf is because it provides a few hours to get away from the constant drone of artificial noise and enjoy nature and the outdoors. I get that a lot of people have grown up with constant stimulation and therefore can't really function without it, so if you want to listen to your music that's fine, I only ask that I never have to hear it.

I think it is fine when people are cognizant of surroundings.

If your cart make a noise in the middle of the swing it can cause a flinch. I totally get that. I have the attention span of a puppy and sometimes that kind of stuff distracts me. Frankly having some music in the background would help to mask that. I think the noise issue is the fact that you are outside without a lot of other people around so it is quiet. When a noise interrupts the quiet it can make you flinch. It is totally different than a basketball or football game when there is constant noise. Frankly if fans wanted to disrupt a free throw shooter they should be dead silent then make a loud noise right before the player releases the shot.
They do. It's dead quiet with an outburst during free throws all the time. Like...don't flinch. And it's way beyond pros...go to a high school basketball game and this is CONSTANTLY happening during free throws by the opposing student section. To me that's a skill to stay mentally focused.

I mean what if a bird crows, a leaf makes a noise, a car in the distance honks their horn...I get what your saying but it just seems like one of those things that's been created that gives a person an excuse for a bad shot. I don't buy into the idea as a whole with the other 1000 variables that can go into an inconsistent swing. It's kind of like, "Bro you hit a bad shot cause your club face was open by 3 degrees, not cause of my cart pulling forward."

They do. It's dead quiet with an outburst during free throws all the time. Like...don't flinch. And it's way beyond pros...go to a high school basketball game and this is CONSTANTLY happening during free throws by the opposing student section. To me that's a skill to stay mentally focused.

I mean what if a bird crows, a leaf makes a noise, a car in the distance honks their horn...I get what your saying but it just seems like one of those things that's been created that gives a person an excuse for a bad shot. I don't buy into the idea as a whole with the other 1000 variables that can go into an inconsistent swing. It's kind of like, "Bro you hit a bad shot cause your club face was open by 3 degrees, not cause of my cart pulling forward."

A car in the distance honking the horn in the middle of my swing will definitely impact my shot. Whether it should or not is a different debate but I know my own game and what causes problems. Pulling your cart forward when someone is in the middle of a swing is wrong and easily avoidable. I know you can't control all the variables on the golf course but being considerate of your playing partners is one thing you can control.

I don't do it and in general don't have a problem if others do it-as long as it is not obnoxious.

A car in the distance honking the horn in the middle of my swing will definitely impact my shot. Whether it should or not is a different debate but I know my own game and what causes problems. Pulling your cart forward when someone is in the middle of a swing is wrong and easily avoidable. I know you can't control all the variables on the golf course but being considerate of your playing partners is one thing you can control.
I mean if the noise from an electric cart (most courses around me are electric) nowadays causes you to LEGIT flinch, I think this is fair. I just am not sure I'm totally buying into the concept of a low tone sound creating a true flinch in most though. I think it creates an annoyance mentally maybe for alot of people, I'm just not sure there is a massive amount of people that it creates a legit physical flinch for. And coming full circle to the music thing, it's not an unpredictable loud burst of sound that should create a flinch.

Back