Music on the course or not?

I'm good either way, it doesn't bother me unless they intentionally turn it on in a backswing or something like that.

Yeah sure. Most people are cool with 80s and 90s country music so that's usually what is being played during the round.

In a more general statement that will create even more tension...I gotta be honest with you all as a new golfer. Only been playing about a 1.5 years, and I find some of the etiquette stuff in golf to be ridiculous.

That's kinda the thing about etiquette - it's not required to make sense. Every activity has accepted etiquette, from your behavior when grocery shopping to driving your car to watching a movie to golf. For golf, much of it surrounds tradition and IMO that's one of the things that makes it great and separates it from some of the more pedestrian sports. It's something that's followed out of respect for the game and it's history, and if that means I can't chatter on while someone is hitting or (god forbid) have to put on a shirt that actually has a collar then IMO that's not too big of a burden to bear.

That's kinda the thing about etiquette - it's not required to make sense. Every activity has accepted etiquette, from your behavior when grocery shopping to driving your car to watching a movie to golf. For golf, much of it surrounds tradition and IMO that's one of the things that makes it great and separates it from some of the more pedestrian sports. It's something that's followed out of respect for the game and it's history, and if that means I can't chatter on while someone is hitting or (god forbid) have to put on a shirt that actually has a collar then IMO that's not too big of a burden to bear.
I mean I don't know that etiquette should be framed as "it's not required to make sense." I think it should make sense, and I think most of it actually does make sense, but there should be some balance when it extends to general weekend golf. I like to wear my collared shirt and try my best to follow general etiquette for sure as new player to help preserve the "gentlemen's game" but there are also pieces of the etiquette that I think are absurd for random weekend golfing where I literally paid the same amount as you to play in what is NOT a cheap sport. Also keep in mind, etiquette does have the ability to change. There was alot of etiquette around this sport in the old days that um...well I'll just say wasn't very kind to EVERYONE.

New golfers to the sport are always going to be a plus in my book, it's how courses continue to make money to operate, it's how we get new courses, it literally keeps the business alive, and riding newer players about some of the really particular etiquette pieces in a non tournament, casual Sunday group where your playing with random people seems very counterintuitive to helping the sport grow to me.

If the question is, should music be allowed in a tournament setting or even a more casual league setting...that question is different to me.

I mean I don't know that etiquette should be framed as "it's not required to make sense." I think it should make sense, and I think most of it actually does make sense, but there should be some balance when it extends to general weekend golf. I like to wear my collared shirt and try my best to follow general etiquette for sure as new player to help preserve the "gentlemen's game" but there are also pieces of the etiquette that I think are absurd for random weekend golfing where I literally paid the same amount as you to play in what is NOT a cheap sport. Also keep in mind, etiquette does have the ability to change. There was alot of etiquette around this sport in the old days that um...well I'll just say wasn't very kind to EVERYONE.

New golfers to the sport are always going to be a plus in my book, it's how courses continue to make money to operate, it's how we get new courses, it literally keeps the business alive, and riding newer players about some of the really particular etiquette pieces in a non tournament, casual Sunday group where your playing with random people seems very counterintuitive to helping the sport grow to me.

If the question is, should music be allowed in a tournament setting or even a more casual league setting...that question is different to me.
To me, that has the dangerous sound of heading down the self-entitlement route, and I feel that goes against the whole idea of etiquette and respect for other golfers
Just because everyone paid the same to play doesn't necessarily mean that they can do whatever they want whilst out on the course

I don't disagree that some things could and should change, but it needs to be considerate of everyone out there

As long as it is only close to the cart its coming from that's fine, I don't want to hear it a fairway over.

To me, that has the dangerous sound of heading down the self-entitlement route, and I feel that goes against the whole idea of etiquette and respect for other golfers
Just because everyone paid the same to play doesn't necessarily mean that they can do whatever they want whilst out on the course

I don't disagree that some things could and should change, but it needs to be considerate of everyone out there
Truthfully, I think we're on the same page. I get how that could be slippery slope. I'm definitely not suggesting everyone should be able to go nuts out there. But I just don't' really see it as "self entitlement" either. Should I as a new golfer who did actually pay the same as you to play, feel uncomfortable or intimidated by you just because I didn't follow some unspoken rule? I mean the entire premise of it is kind of unfair...especially as a new golfer. I legit am still learning some of those "unspoken rules". I don't know if that's really self-entitlement?

Couple examples:
I asked a golfer what club he used one time and got a jack wagon answer, had no idea this was against golf etiquette.
I picked my ball up out of the cup after I had putted it in when we agreed we were playing ready golf and got a pretty firm glare. Had no idea it was even an etiqutte thing to not do so.
I constantly make this mistake...I say good shot but then the guy who hit it doesnt agree because for me it would've been a good shot. Like...sorry you didn't hole out from 80 yards, but your 15 yards from the pin on the green, so that seems good to me.
And the one I highlighted above. I've definitely on more than one occasion drove my cart off while someone is swinging. My thought process being...they are way better than me, I just shot that into the woods and I want to start looking asap so I don't hold them up, so I just didn't even think about the cart noise.

Like are those types of things really necessary in weekend golf? I love this discussion by the way, even though we've gotten slightly off topic. Truly.

Truthfully, I think we're on the same page. I get how that could be slippery slope. I'm definitely not suggesting everyone should be able to go nuts out there. But I just don't' really see it as "self entitlement" either. Should I as a new golfer who did actually pay the same as you to play, feel uncomfortable or intimidated by you just because I didn't follow some unspoken rule? I mean the entire premise of it is kind of unfair...especially as a new golfer. I legit am still learning some of those "unspoken rules". I don't know if that's really self-entitlement?

Couple examples:
I asked a golfer what club he used one time and got a jack wagon answer, had no idea this was against golf etiquette.
I picked my ball up out of the cup after I had putted it in when we agreed we were playing ready golf and got a pretty firm glare. Had no idea it was even an etiqutte thing to not do so.
I constantly make this mistake...I say good shot but then the guy who hit it doesnt agree because for me it would've been a good shot. Like...sorry you didn't hole out from 80 yards, but your 15 yards from the pin on the green, so that seems good to me.
And the one I highlighted above. I've definitely on more than one occasion drove my cart off while someone is swinging. My thought process being...they are way better than me, I just shot that into the woods and I want to start looking asap so I don't hold them up, so I just didn't even think about the cart noise.

Like are those types of things really necessary in weekend golf? I love this discussion by the way, even though we've gotten slightly off topic. Truly.
In terms of your first 2 examples, that shouldn't be an issue unless you are playing in a tournament, and I would have no issue with you doing that

As for saying good shot, I can see why someone might not agree, but there is no need for them to be a jerk about it - I suppose one way to make it seem not so obvious would be to say something along the lines that you would be happy if you had hit that shot with that result yourself
I have had that happen to me when friends of lesser ability will say good shot, but I know I hit a bad one and I will just reply by saying that at my level I would have expected better - with strangers that might be more difficult I guess

Noise is always a tricky one as you often have random noises from all around anyway, but it is the sudden noise that disturbs people, especially when it comes from someone in the group, so maybe consider waiting until the ball is struck before moving - even when walking, I will sometimes start moving before everyone has played (if I am on the opposite side of the fairway) but will stop before the next player takes their swing

I mean if the noise from an electric cart (most courses around me are electric) nowadays causes you to LEGIT flinch, I think this is fair. I just am not sure I'm totally buying into the concept of a low tone sound creating a true flinch in most though. I think it creates an annoyance mentally maybe for alot of people, I'm just not sure there is a massive amount of people that it creates a legit physical flinch for. And coming full circle to the music thing, it's not an unpredictable loud burst of sound that should create a flinch.

We may wind up agreeing to disagree on this. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to stay out of sight lines and quiet while a playing partner is hitting. With an electric cart when you step on the accelerator it usually makes a noise as the brake is released and the cart moves. If it bothers your playing partner when they are trying to hit a shot you shouldn't do it.

Regarding music I said earlier I am fine with it if it doesn't bother anyone else in the group.

Couple examples:

- Asking a golfer what club he used: That's a well documented rules violation as well as being poor etiquette. Some people are sensitive about the topic, making it kinda like asking someone how much they weigh or how much money they make. It's usually fine when chatting with your buddies but not with strangers you just met.
- Picking your ball up out of the cup after putting it in: We do this all the time and it's never been an issue, assuming you're not interfering with someone else's putt or walking across their line. I've never heard this was a thing you're not supposed to do and even see it on tour so not sure what that's all about.
- Saying good shot: Another issue I've never encountered. If somebody didn't like me complimenting them they never said anything about it.
- Driving your cart off while someone is swinging: That's just being impolite.

Other than the first and last one, sounds to me like your biggest problem is you keep getting paired up with a-holes.

I can honestly say that I have never listened to music on the course, never been paired with anyone who does, and can't even remember ever hearing any music on the course. Must be a British thing clearly....

Couple examples:

In a casual round I would have no issue at all with asking what club got hit. If he was a jerk about it that is on him. That said unless you know someone's game and how far they hit their clubs that is of little value.

Regarding picking your ball out of the cup after it is holed you should always do that. You just need to be careful of where you step. You obviously shouldn't step in the line of the putt and if someone is really a hardo be careful about the through line of your playing partner's putt.

On the good shot if someone hits it in the woods or the water you obviously don't want to say good shot. Other than that people should be gracious.

I have said this elsewhere in this thread but you shouldn't be moving the cart while someone is hitting. I have no issues with moving while they are picking clubs and getting ready to hit but when they are actually swinging you should be still and out of the line of site. If you had moved repeatedly during a round while a playing partner was hitting I can see them getting annoyed.

I may come off as a hardo here but I am really quite relaxed on the golf course. When playing with a new golfer I try to help them understand etiquette that other golfers expect it does help everyone enjoy the round of golf. Also I don't mind music on the course I enjoy it as long as it doesn't bother other people.

- Asking a golfer what club he used: That's a well documented rules violation as well as being poor etiquette. Some people are sensitive about the topic, making it kinda like asking someone how much they weigh or how much money they make. It's usually fine when chatting with your buddies but not with strangers you just met.
- Picking your ball up out of the cup after putting it in: We do this all the time and it's never been an issue, assuming you're not interfering with someone else's putt or walking across their line. I've never heard this was a thing you're not supposed to do and even see it on tour so not sure what that's all about.
- Saying good shot: Another issue I've never encountered. If somebody didn't like me complimenting them they never said anything about it.
- Driving your cart off while someone is swinging: That's just being impolite.

Other than the first and last one, sounds to me like your biggest problem is you keep getting paired up with a-holes.
I don't love your comparison to asking about someones weight or money they make. I don't think that's a parallel analogy. I mean the clubs the pros are using are televised all the time when they are shooting on TV. So it really feels like a weird transition to know that's against rules when going to play weekend golf. Again I'm not talking about a USGA governed tourney setting here. But this is definitely to each your own. I could careless who asks me what club I just used. I would happily tell any single player what club I just used and wouldn't even flinch in them asking, and I suck...so...it's often going to be probably alot more club "than I should be using".

I think your last sentence is probably true, and to be completely fair I get glares at "etiquette type rules" that I may have violated far fewer than I don't. Most weekend golfers I encounter are fairly liberal. It just feels like SOMETIMES violation of etiquette is a way to lash out at someone cause you just sucked, and I can't stand that. Did you really shank that 50 yards to the right cause I accidentally was in your sight line? Like maybe work on your mental focus if that's the case cause stuffs gonna happen. Don't use the etiquette as an excuse.

Like I golf to have fun on the weekends, and sometimes with particular groups it becomes incredibly stressful and just not fun all under "etiqutette. I'm now having to think about every time I move my cart, where I stand on the putting green cause it might create a shadow, man I better crinkle this gum wrapper NOW so I don't accidentally do it a back swing, all for some etiquette guy who shoots in the low 90's...and it just feels a little odd at that point and unbalanced at that point.

And even down this rabbit hole, I probably would say I'm not in favor of playing music in a random foursome. If it's a group in front of me that's using it...I have no issues with that at all.

In a casual round I would have no issue at all with asking what club got hit. If he was a jerk about it that is on him. That said unless you know someone's game and how far they hit their clubs that is of little value.

Regarding picking your ball out of the cup after it is holed you should always do that. You just need to be careful of where you step. You obviously shouldn't step in the line of the putt and if someone is really a hardo be careful about the through line of your playing partner's putt.

On the good shot if someone hits it in the woods or the water you obviously don't want to say good shot. Other than that people should be gracious.

I have said this elsewhere in this thread but you shouldn't be moving the cart while someone is hitting. I have no issues with moving while they are picking clubs and getting ready to hit but when they are actually swinging you should be still and out of the line of site. If you had moved repeatedly during a round while a playing partner was hitting I can see them getting annoyed.

I may come off as a hardo here but I am really quite relaxed on the golf course. When playing with a new golfer I try to help them understand etiquette that other golfers expect it does help everyone enjoy the round of golf. Also I don't mind music on the course I enjoy it as long as it doesn't bother other people.
I mean you sound super reasonable. You're not the "etiquette guy" i'm talking about up above at all. Discussing clubs is just a way for me to small talk. It doesn't have a ton of value, but also when I see a guy my size and realize they are swinging their 9i when i'm swinging my 6i it's kind of motivating. I'm just like...man that means I CAN do that someday.

I love music while playing - got into it when I got a Pump Sound Chuck 3ish years ago.... I always ask if my playing partners mind - only once have they said no....in fact, I have heard "as long as we can also hear it, fine by us"

I enjoy music on the course. I had a fun round at the end of last year listening to Wu-Tang. Golf is too stuffy.

I'm fine with it in my cart, but only in between shots. My own rule is that if I (or my partners) can hear it while hitting I'm too close or it's too loud.

As long as it doesn’t turn into my group has a louder speaker than your group, I’m fine with it. Just be respectful like everything else.

I love music while playing - got into it when I got a Pump Sound Chuck 3ish years ago.... I always ask if my playing partners mind - only once have they said no....in fact, I have heard "as long as we can also hear it, fine by us"

That's kinda the rub, which was mentioned in one of the many other threads on this topic. When asked something like "you guys care if I play some music?" most people will attempt to be polite and accommodating, thus respond with something like "sure, that's fine" while at the same time secretly hating you for it. You can blame them for being overly courteous but it's just how a lot of people were raised. That and because if you do dare say something it almost always goes like this:

Golfer A: "Yo dudes, is it cool if I play some tunes on my speaker while we golf our balls?"
Golfer B: "Actually I enjoy the peace and quiet and would prefer not having music, but if you're using ear buds or something it's fine with me."
Golfer A, under his breath: "What a dick"

Which is exactly why you get a "fine by us" when in fact it's very much not fine by most people. IMO it's like so many things: if you're with friends you can work out whatever you want, but if you're with strangers and you have to ask, it's probably something you shouldn't be doing.

It depends on the music and the volume. If I had to pick yea or nay, I'd go with nay since it can be a distraction sometimes.

I only do when my group is good with it and I always ask first. Even buddies that want it one day may not the next. I also make every possible effort to turn it down to almost off or off completely when any other player is near enough that they may be distracted by it. To me, it is just fine as long as you have courtesy for everyone else.
This is the attitude to take, in my humble opinion. listen, but don't be a pest.

That's kinda the rub, which was mentioned in one of the many other threads on this topic. When asked something like "you guys care if I play some music?" most people will attempt to be polite and accommodating, thus respond with something like "sure, that's fine" while at the same time secretly hating you for it. You can blame them for being overly courteous but it's just how a lot of people were raised. That and because if you do dare say something it almost always goes like this:

Golfer A: "Yo dudes, is it cool if I play some tunes on my speaker while we golf our balls?"
Golfer B: "Actually I enjoy the peace and quiet and would prefer not having music, but if you're using ear buds or something it's fine with me."
Golfer A, under his breath: "What a dick"

Which is exactly why you get a "fine by us" when in fact it's very much not fine by most people. IMO it's like so many things: if you're with friends you can work out whatever you want, but if you're with strangers and you have to ask, it's probably something you shouldn't be doing.

Well, I think the thing you shouldn't be doing is assuming it is OK and you just go ahead and play some tunes.... And also, I don't think it is right that you categorize people whom listen to music as being unpolished Ie "Yo dudes" "golf our balls" - I know it wasn't directly aimed at me, just think your generalization is off....

Either way, music and golf, you have to admit is becoming more and more popular golf carts to have Bluetooth music built in these days...

Well, I think the thing you shouldn't be doing is assuming it is OK and you just go ahead and play some tunes.... And also, I don't think it is right that you categorize people whom listen to music as being unpolished Ie "Yo dudes" "golf our balls" - I know it wasn't directly aimed at me, just think your generalization is off....

My apologies, no offense intended, I use "Yo dude" and "golf our balls" all the time. The latter works well when paired up with folks you don't know and your buddy hits an exceptionally great drive. Just say "Yo dude, you golfed the <expletive> outta that ball!!". Always gets a laugh and helps lighten the mood.

My apologies, no offense intended, I use "Yo dude" and "golf our balls" all the time. The latter works well when paired up with folks you don't know and your buddy hits an exceptionally great drive. Just say "Yo dude, you golfed the <expletive> outta that ball!!". Always gets a laugh and helps lighten the mood.
I hear ya - cant sense tonality on the internet. Cheers!

Back