Music on the course

Groundhog

Reaction score
Handicap
I will start by saying I HATE the new trend of music being played on the course. This trend seems to have started about 2 years ago and seems to be accelerating. Players blaring all sorts of noise, music, while playing are inconsiderate of others IMO. I have had to ask playing partners to turn the music off especially when I am addressing the ball. Am I a curmudgeon or are there others with the same opinion? I have heard some courses have banned the practice. My club to my dismay has just bought new carts with build in speakers.

I’m not sure about the old part, but you definitely sound curmudgeonly. I’m sure there will be plenty of others that will chime in and share your opinion though.

Well then why not let people have cell phones ringing in someone's backswing. Or just yell anything that comes to mind when a player that they don't like is swinging? This is nothing more than an aspect of the ME culture exhibiting itself on a golf course. The only thing that matters is what matters to ME! The world should revolve around ME! Everyone should set aside the way they like to do things and cater to ME! This behavior is ultimately self-centered, disrespectful, and boorish! There are earbuds if you really need music that badly! And I really dislike when someone tries to force me to listen to their music, whether it's coming from a boom car or a boom cart!

Carts are being sold with built in speakers because people want to listen to music. Or at least want the option. A lot of time is spent in the carts and people want to relax and enjoy their time in them. I like idea of it being built into the carts because it's more confined that way. I can't really hear that music unless I'm near the cart, and I don't take general issue with that. When it's a speaker hanging from someone's bag it definitely seems to travel more. And built in speakers could be made volume limiting.

Only time it really bugs me is when my wife plays it, goes out to her ball, and then tries to talk to me while I'm in the cart. 'Cause I can't hear a word she's saying. Other than that I'm fine with it because it's a known thing. Constant. It's nothing like someone yelling in my backswing. Golf is a recreational activity for 99% of people playing it, and I want them to enjoy it. Most of my playing friends don't have terrible taste in music, and strangers I pair with tend to ask if it will bother anyone if they play it, same as I do.

I play music every time I tee it up. I’m also respectful of my playing partners and will turn it down if I am close to them so not to bother them. Between shots it’s at a nice volume that isnt bothering anyone.

I find it relaxing if played at a reasonable level. I don't play it because I don't have a BT to play it on, but it doesn't bother me if someone else does.

I suppose if you are playing a competitive round, then there might be a case against it.

I’m not sure you are a curmudgeon (which isn’t always a bad thing either) but I think golf and music go well together if all people are on board and you aren’t disturbing a other groups a lot. Would it be better if you could mix in some of your music? I find a gentle suggestion like “you got any Christopher Cross?” Goes well and makes me happy too.

No difference to me between music and people riding the hole next to us in their carts, people screaming fore or wooooo, cars going by, etc

And personally I like music and find it relaxing to loosen up

its ******* mind-blowing, I agree

I’m in agreement that if you are going to play music in your cart for your enjoyment, turn it down low enough where others don’t have to listen to it. At least ask the other players if they care or not.
The respect and thoughtfulness for others in this world is a lost art IMO.

I usually play with the same group of guys so not a big deal. I know I have my flip 5 hanging from my bag and usually will have Eric Church wide open. However when we are at the tee box and close to another tee box with people teeing off not in our group I will turn it down. I typically try to read the crowd and the environment I am in as to not cause any distractions. Furthermore I try my very best to never play music with vulgar language

I'm 39 so not young, not real old yet :p but if it's played quietly I don't have an issue. My issue is with the group that's behind or ahead of us and I can hear their music blaring.

I keep mine at a minimal level & have respect for others to turn it down when needed.

I always find this an interesting topic, over here in the UK I genuinely can't remember the last time I heard any music on the course. Is honestly not a thing over here. Might be down to the fact that probably 99.9% of golfers walk and actually seeing a cart on the course is an extreme rarity as well, only thing I can think of.

I don't mind it but please....

ndwzSwu.gif

I play music every time I tee it up. I’m also respectful of my playing partners and will turn it down if I am close to them so not to bother them. Between shots it’s at a nice volume that isnt bothering anyone.

How do you know your choice of music does not bother them.
If I hear it it bothers me.

I agree, If I hear it it bothers me too. Please do not assume what you enjoy others will enjoy. You’re (insert artist) is no more right for me than my Edgard Varèse is right for you.

knowing Mr Mike & having played w/ him a time or 5, he’ll be more than happy to play Yanin for ya the entire 18 holes if that’s your pleasure.
I could not agree more. If I hear it it bothers me too. Please do not assume what you enjoy others will enjoy. You’re (insert artist) is no more right for me than my Edgard Varèse is right for you.
No assuming......I always ask if I play w/ people I’ve never played w/ before. And if the answer is No then I happily finish the round and know that it will probably be the last round we will share. Can’t make everyone happy and that’s ok.

because I’ve never been told to turn it off or change he music.

Im fine with it as long as the music is kept at a lower volume. If its just loud enough that you can hear it but arent blasting it where the whole course can hear it, Im fine with it.
I personally dont play music on the course but Ive often played with randoms who did and it didnt really bother me.
One thing that most people seem to do, in my experience, is that if they are playing with a random, just ask if they mind. If they say that they prefer not, cool. If they say they dont mind, great. Either way, you avoid the stress and drama and everyone is happy.

Im fine with it as long as the music is kept at a lower volume. If its just loud enough that you can hear it but arent blasting it where the whole course can hear it, Im fine with it.
I personally dont play music on the course but Ive often played with randoms who did and it didnt really bother me.
One thing that most people seem to do, in my experience, is that if they are playing with a random, just ask if they mind. If they say that they prefer not, cool. If they say they dont mind, great. Either way, you avoid the stress and drama and everyone is happy.

Playing w/ Randos is always a crap shoot which is why I like my local THP group I normally play with.

I play music all the time but usually wear a ear bud because I realize others may not like it.

I get annoyed at asshats who think everyone wants to hear their music.

I feel like I play better tempo wise with music.

Jmho

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Give me all the music. I’ll stay off your lawn ;)

I don’t understand the all or nothing stances today, just because someone has music on the course doesn’t mean it’s going to absolutely be loud or obnoxious, nor is it disrespectful to the game.

Are there some people who play it too loud? Sure, but that’s life, it’s not a black and white thing, we can be in the gray here people.

Now excuse me while I keep the tunes on in my rounds as well as allowing my HS teams to listen while they practice. As I said, I’ll stay off y’alls lawns ;);););););)

I will start by saying I HATE the new trend of music being played on the course. This trend seems to have started about 2 years ago and seems to be accelerating. Players blaring all sorts of noise, music, while playing are inconsiderate of others IMO. I have had to ask playing partners to turn the music off especially when I am addressing the ball. Am I a curmudgeon or are there others with the same opinion? I have heard some courses have banned the practice. My club to my dismay has just bought new carts with build in speakers.

Get off my lawn!!!!

(Just yanking your chain, I’m nuetral).

I'm 49 and listen to music 100% of the time on the course. My JBL Charge 4 lives in the basket behind the seat during rounds. I mostly play with buddies, but when we get grouped with a rando I always ask. Not one time has anyone ever said no or been grumpy about it. The response is always something like "As long as you play it loud enough where we can hear it too", and that's frequently from guys older than me. And usually they're already playing music of their own. To be fair, I'm probably oversensitive about keeping it at a somewhat lower volume and turning it down if we ride up on another group at a tee box backup or something. My friends usually have music much louder than mine. We're all superstitious about the genre of music we're listening to. If we're struggling on the course, we'll change the music. In any case, relaxing golf and music go hand in hand.

Back