Music on the course

I play music while I play but I play alone quite a bit. When I am near others on the course which is rare as my course is very spread out, I either turn down the volume or turn it off until they are gone.

When I do play with others I try and be considerate and ask before I turn it in. If they don’t mind, I usually ask what kind of music they like even so I can try and find something all can enjoy. If they object, no biggie I just don’t turn it on.

Im old and I don't mind music only thing ID want is don't change things during the swing. Volume changing would be like trying to back off during a Tiger moment. Lol

I'm 58 and most of the guys I play with are over 60. Hell, most of them are over 65, for that matter. We always listen to music on the course. Kept at a reasonable volume so as not to disturb others, and if there are people playing with us who aren't a part of our regular group (which is very rare), we ask if they mind the music before we turn it on.

If it's too loud, then you're too old.
This expression works for Rock & Roll AND golf. :) Music doesn't bother me.

I’m in agreement that if you are going to play music in your cart for your enjoyment, turn it down low enough where others don’t have to listen to it. At least ask the other players if they care or not.
The respect and thoughtfulness for others in this world is a lost art IMO.
In life and here I am one who has always voiced very strong opinion about society's growing lack of common courtesies , respect and etiquette. It saddens and really does bother me what society continues to grow towards not in a good way. I indeed am a stickler for maintaining certain small qualities (like for example attire among many others) which i believe collectively indirectly help preserve all those things.
I really do have strong feelings about such things so im with you and maybe even more than you.

That being said,....I do however not think music on the course is a bad thing at all and in fact can be respectful and pleasurable.
But here is the issue with music and its a huge one. Its not the music but is the type (or genre) of music that is usually the issue. Its very personal to us. Music that is pleasant to us and our own ears and which happens to also fit our mood and atmosphere at the specific time is almost always fine with us while music that we dont like or that doesn't fit our mood (or atmosphere) at the time is not fine.

I hate some types of music all the time everywhere (as do a lot of people). Yet I like other types, but even among the types of music I like it must be a type that fits the current atmosphere and mood I am in so that its a pleasurable listen at the time. I think that holds true for many people.

Not all the music i like would I play or want to hear during a normal golf round. But could be enjoyable at a fun lively outing. The music Id prefer during dinner is different from what I might like to hear while at a party. Morning, evening, at work, in car, before dinner, after dinner, at a BBQ, at a wedding, at a beach, by a fireplace, in a night club, etc,..etc... Point being even the different genres that we like all have their different places and times in our own opinion and feeling which makes them acceptable , enjoyable, or wrong (to us) at the given time. And if its music we dont like at all, then it becomes an outright annoyance everywhere and anywhere regardless.
So it is very often about what is personally pleasing and fitting (or not) to us at the time.

That all said,....I do feel there are certain types of music and ways and times of playing it which does lend itself to a society's growing lack of respect, common courtesies and etiquette. For example....I arrived at work this morning (in manhattan) and I get out of my car (its about 550am). What do i hear? Loud annoying rap music full of cursing words and etc coming out of a delivery truck open window as the truck was waiting at a red light. Loud enough for half the city block to hear (at550 am) and extremely unpleasant type of music. The entire scene (which is common nowadays) is disrespectful, lacks in common courtesies and outright annoying. But for whatever reasons the person in the delivery truck likes to start his day with hearing loud inner city rap with words like MF and b*tch and whatever else at 5 freaking 50 am with his morning coffee and then also think the entire city block including myself wanted to hear it too.

But this is all OK because according to mayor and governor and fwiw our new soon to be president and his party I am suppose to welcome this disrespectful crap with a smile and in fact invite into my neighborhood and my home and Im suppose to enjoy living among it.

Ok now i went off a bit......Ill leave that at that.

First - I always ask -
Second - I can't believe the comments I get for my Puma SoundChuck Mini - People think it's cool!

With my Saturday Group I play Road Trip Radio from SiriusXM and everyone seems to love it.
It's funny how my people start singing and humming the songs unknowingly.

On Sunday it's "Rat Pack Radio" and that's ok by me - Variety is the spice of life.

I like music. I listen to all kinds of music... multiple genres. When/if I listen on the course, it's at a volume I can tolerate but it's not going to bother others... if someone is close enough to hear the music from my earbud they're WAY too close... because I don't listen to my music a ear deafening levels... or even very loud.

If you want to play music, go ahead. I ask that you be respectful and keep it at a moderate level... or not. I'll put up with it and not say anything. I've played golf that's silent. I've played golf that's noisy. It's kind of difficult to tell the USAF to not fly their planes overhead of the golf course... and their planes are LOUD.

But it IS cool teeing off when an F-16 is taking off with full afterburner.:cool:

I'll admit I used to be in the camp of "I hate music on the golf course." Not until I won a speaker, first here on THP, & then another one on Instagram. Now this one clamps to the side of the cart, so it sticks out a bit & is noticeable. I am very respectful when it comes to it though. I will turn it down or even off when I get near a group on the tee or near the green. If I'm playing as a single or if Mrs. Nut is riding along, we like to play the music. It relaxes my golfing mind believe it or not. I don't think about the shot as much & just let it happen.
So .... just be respectful if you choose to listen to music on the course.
  • Don't play it loud enough that the entire course can hear it.
  • Ask your playing partners first before even turning it on & be respectful of their decision, good or bad in your opinion
  • Turn it down around other players, unless you're like @JonD who insists on music as loud as possible. LOL :)
  • Now @JohnSinVA hasn't said a word about whether he likes it on or not when we play but guess what ..... I don't care what he thinks! :ROFLMAO:

AMPCaddy_Speaker.jpg

My normal group always plays music and we're not what I would call 'young'. As long as it's respectful I'm all for it. If we're playing with or near someone who doesn't like it though we'll turn it down/off. I definitely respect other golfers on the course, butI've always thought the whole silence thing was a little silly. I'm not for people shouting etc. in people's back swing or while they putt, but no other sport has quiet rules. If you can't focus enough with some minimal background noise no amount of silence is going to help you IMO.

I like listening to something on the course. I am also in the camp of making sure it won't bother other people. Are there times you can crank it up, absolutely!

not a fan of music on the course.....I just know sooner or later I'd have to say, Please turn that down. please play something else, it's your turn to hit can you put that thing down etc..,

I'm 69. I'm from the school; "If it's too loud, you're too old", that being said, I play regularly with my old rhythm guitar player who plays "our" music (we were in a band together up until a couple of years ago. I played Bass). I like the music, but I really wish that he would turn it down a bit. I enjoy hearing it in the cart, but I would prefer not to be able to hear it from the tee box or when I'm taking a shot. I wear hearing aids that are able to Bluetooth my music and if I really want to hear music while I play, I port it through my aids.

I love guys who got the music going, a lot fun.

I don’t mind when my friends play music while playing but I’m never the one to say we need music. I find it kind of distracting. Funny considering I love music used to play in a Hawaiian music band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually play with the same few people and music is encouraged. If we are waiting for the group in front of us on the tee box it is always turned down or off. Other than that it is usually just loud enough to make out the song if the cart is close enough to the tee box.

I started a similar thread a month or so ago and was shocked at how many people like music when they play. We don't know how to live life without some sort of noise anymore. I do have to have music when I drive a car though, and my wife gives me trouble for that. To each his own, I guess.

I don't mind music on the course as long as you can't hear it from 20 feet away.

If you want it loud, then wear ear buds or headphones.

Well count me in on the “Old Cramudgeon”
No
NO
NO
to music.
If you want to listen to YOUR music, put in ear buds. You are on the golf course WITH other people.
when on the tee you are near the cart and their music is audible. I don’t want to hear your stuff.
I agree, it’s the ME generation!
Cut the tunes, I am a guy who likes music, but not on the course.

I don't like music on the course. Period. It's not that I dislike music. It's that i don't like music when I'm playing golf. It's like people have to have noise going constantly these days and don't know how to enjoy quiet.

If you want music wear earbuds, but then it becomes a safety issue because you can't hear anyone shout "FORE!" So if you wear earbuds, don't blame someone if you get hit by accident.

To those of you who say I always ask first. You should realize that many people are too shy to tell you no and they just tolerate it the whole round.

I'm not like that but many are. It's simply obnoxious and as InTheRough says above, it's this constant noise and stimulation society that's taking over. The notion of giving something your full attention is just about extinct among young folks.

To those of you who say I always ask first. You should realize that many people are too shy to tell you no and they just tolerate it the whole round.

I'm not like that but many are. It's simply obnoxious and as InTheRough says above, it's this constant noise and stimulation society that's taking over. The notion of giving something your full attention is just about extinct among young folks.
Not that there have been a lot of ages given by people responding to the thread so far, but I've seen ages of 39, 58, and 69 saying they listen to music on the course. I'm not sure that falls under "damn kids these days" territory. :LOL:

I’m younger so I have listened to rap in some way my whole life. I pretty much hate the garbage that’s come out since after 2016-17, but I digress.

anyway my friend asks if he can play some music on hole 14. I’m say sure. He asks if I care what he plays, I say no. He’s like well I listen to rap. I normally don’t like that vibe on the course, but like I said I’ve listened to it my whole life so I say no problem.

he has the new bushnell caddy speaker. And he claims that he can’t hear the yardages right if the volume is low, so he has to leave it loud. 😕

we are essentially by ourselves on a neighborhood course. If I can hear the music clear as day 75 yards away then everyone else probably can too. No thanks. I turned it down in front of his face, and he probably didn’t like that but have some self awareness lol.

Then that’s their fault, no? If one is that timid, then perhaps they should just play solo all the time.

And I’m going to add this in because some of you are focusing on the inability to give full attention, etc. It goes both ways, for some, music allows focusing in on the moment soon, as a former teacher I had MANY students who the minute I let them listen to music while working the focus went up and they outside world was tuned out, and their work got better, I was even one of those as a student. Same goes for the course, I’ve got many golfers who by allowing to listen to music in their practice rounds they are in the moment MORE and MORE focused as they’re actually enjoying themselves and staying relaxed. Crazy thing? They all also still have great etiquette and respect for the game, many going on to play college golf as well. Crazy right?

It’s not a one way road here. It’s not black and white. It’s not cut and dry. We have forgotten how to look at both sides of something.

It’s simple, have tact. If you do with your music I the course and know your situation, then everyone will be happy.

I like it most of the time. I will always ask and always drown it out approaching folks not with us. My usual foursome loves Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind on SiriusXM. 70’s soft rock and Dean Martin is cool too.
I have heard other groups play there stuff too loud and I see how it’s an annoyance.
Most importantly, we in our group realize that golf is the primary reason we are out there so it’s an extra that is not needed.

Back