I'm a drummer and I also play a pretty good blues guitar and I also play some piano.

In the past, I've worked in a Recording/Rehearsal studio (7 years), I've played in some bands, jammed with dozens of people, made some demo's (hasn't everybody?) and just generally love music.

As a drummer, I love playing funk, fusion and progressive rock. As a guitarist, I love playing blues and Latin styles. I only got into guitar about five years ago and I've come a long way since then thanks to Pandora radio (great to play along with) and a website called "Jam Central Station" which is basically a "music-minus-one" deal where there are many songs minus either the guitar, bass or keyboards to which one adds those instruments. It's basic as hell, but it allows me to play whatever comes into my head which is cool and it allows me to think for myself instead of trying to follow someone else's lead.

My drum gear consists of an 8-piece Tama kit with HD Pearl Hardware and Zildjian and Sabian cymbals. My guitars are an Ovation acoustic/electric and an Epi Les Paul which I play through an Ibanez amp. I really want to get a nice tube setup (like a reissue Fender '65 or something like it) but they're a bit out of my price range right now.

My only regret is not picking up the guitar sooner. I really love playing and it's a lot more satisfying than just bangin' around on a drumkit. Drums are fun to play, but not really convenient and there's no melody. Guitar, on the other hand, is easy to play anytime and anyplace and there are so many moods and styles and voices to mess with.

B.B. King once said that playing the guitar is like having a conversation and I didn't quite know what he meant when he said that, but after playing for a while and now knowing my way around a fretboard and actually having it sound like the way I envision it to sound, I now know exactly what he meant by that.

-JP

Been playing the guitar for 10+ years, played in the 60's, took it back up about 11 years ago. I am now going to learn the mandolin, got one coming Tuesday.

OK now I figured out how to post pictures, here is my collection.

GroupPictureFront.jpg

Wow that's big!!!! :embarrassed:

OK now I figured out how to post pictures, here is my collection.

Love the Standard and the 335!

These are my babies:

One day I'm going to get a "real" Paul, but my Epi has turned more than a few heads (as well as ears) from some pretty solid players I've jammed with.

git1.jpg

-JP

Love the Standard and the 335!

These are my babies:

One day I'm going to get a "real" Paul, but my Epi has turned more than a few heads (as well as ears) from some pretty solid players I've jammed with.

git1.jpg

-JP

It's the fingers not the guitar, I probably got more guitars than talent. Actually that is a ES 339 and a Classic Antique but you were close.

It's the fingers not the guitar, I probably got more guitars than talent. Actually that is a ES 339 and a Classic Antique but you were close.

My bad.

It looked like a 335 to me.

I suspected that the Paul was more than just a repro, but it's hard to tell for sure from a photograph. It's a beauty though!

-JP

I play the piano :) Does this count?

of course it does! Beautiful instrument!

I was a music major in college. I played almost all the woodwinds and high brass instruments. After school, I became an opera singer thus my handle! Still play the piano a little for my singing.

Any Guitar Players?

Any Guitar Players?

Just wondering if there were any guitar players on the site. I'm a newbie at it this winter and I'm always looking for some support.

I jst started guitar this winter and while I have made progress, it can be frustrating at times for sure. Having no music background, it took me sometime just to understand the notes on the fretboard and basic chords. I'm still learning the major chords along with the minors. I will start working on the 7's next once I feel good about the majors and minors. My first guitar was a Ibanez AEL (I'm a lefty) and I just recently bought a Wechter Pathmaker which is a little easier to play. My Ibanez has a fairly high action and is tough on the fingers. The Wechter is a little lower which makes it easier to fret. Both have good electronics although I rarely play through a amp.
I'm now looking to get my first electric. I've always loved the sound of a Strat, so I'm demo'ing a Fender Standard Strat and I'm liking it.
If I ever get the chords figured out, I would like to learn some scales. Everyone tells me this is where it is at. I'm a old hippy (48) and I'm really into the Floyd, Joe Walsh, Eagles.....
I'm always looking for a little support.

I jst started guitar this winter and while I have made progress, it can be frustrating at times for sure. Having no music background, it took me sometime just to understand the notes on the fretboard and basic chords. I'm still learning the major chords along with the minors. I will start working on the 7's next once I feel good about the majors and minors. My first guitar was a Ibanez AEL (I'm a lefty) and I just recently bought a Wechter Pathmaker which is a little easier to play. My Ibanez has a fairly high action and is tough on the fingers. The Wechter is a little lower which makes it easier to fret. Both have good electronics although I rarely play through a amp.
I'm now looking to get my first electric. I've always loved the sound of a Strat, so I'm demo'ing a Fender Standard Strat and I'm liking it.
If I ever get the chords figured out, I would like to learn some scales. Everyone tells me this is where it is at. I'm a old hippy (48) and I'm really into the Floyd, Joe Walsh, Eagles.....
I'm always looking for a little support.

I'm an even older hippie (52) and I started getting serious about guitar in my late forties as well. I've always been around music (so that helps) but as long as you have the desire, there's no reason why you can't learn enough about the guitar to really have some fun with it.

Although it's great to learn scales, chords and fingering, don't get too caught up in "Rule and Rote" otherwise you run the risk of becoming too mechanical. Like most musicians, I'm largely a "play it by ear" type. That's how I learned to play drums and to some extent, piano and it's also how I learned guitar.

It's great to get input from other players (preferably in person) and I did learn a lot that way. But with the internet, there's a wealth of information out there in the form of videos that's the next best thing to being there with someone. For instance, I love playing blues guitar and one day I was trying to figure out a turnaround. So I went online and typed in: "Blues turnarounds" and in seconds, I was up to my armpits in ideas!

There are two sites that I like and I think are very helpful.

One is a "Music minus one" site called "Jam Central Station" that has tunes without the guitar parts and you play those parts over the background. It's all "canned" music (meaning it's done with synths and drum machines) but they show you the name of the tune, the key, the style and they give you the tempo. They even count you off and when the tune starts, you play your own guitar part.

What's great about this site is that you aren't locked in to playing a particular tune if you don't want to. Take a tune like "Moondance". It's listed as "Pop Jazz" in Am and its meter is 150. So you can either play it as it was recorded by Van Morrison, or you can just play modes in Am and have it sound any way you like because YOU add the guitar.

Here's a link:

http://www.visionmusic.com/jamtracks.html

If you're looking for real, "hands on" instruction by pro players and you want all of the fingering, keys, and techniques used to play virtually anything you can think of, try "Lick Library".

This site is massive! All of the instruction is presented by real players using real guitars with real sound and they take their time and show you everything. They first play whatever their demonstrating in its entirety, then they break it down note by note and fret by fret and show you everything you'll need to know.

Here's their link:

http://www.licklibrary.com/?gclid=CKLmxMnt0Z8CFd4D5Qod12D0_w

Both sites have membership fees and each has a small amount of "free stuff" to show you what's what. "Jam Central Station" is very inexpensive and "Lick Library" can get a bit hefty in price. But both are great ways to learn not just the basics, but to get you to explore and make your own mistakes, (which is often the best way to learn anything).

The most important thing I could suggest to you would be to not limit yourself to just learning everything by the book ("Rule and Rote"). Play along with whatever kind of music you like and don't be afraid to mess things up because that's just as important to learning to play as all of the eighth notes, scales, and finger positions are.

One last thing: If you don't already have it, get hooked up to Pandora Radio. They have almost unlimited access to any kind of music you could imagine and you can create "stations" of particular artists along with artists with similar styles. I have quite a collection of blues artists set up and I often play along with many tunes and you wouldn't believe how much that's helped me learn!

Here's Pandora's link:

http://www.pandora.com/

The guitar is a great instrument and it's a lot of fun to learn!

Good luck!

-JP

I recently purchased a classical acoustic and I'm loving it right now. With the wider neck width at the nut it makes it much easier to finger chords. It has a very unique sound which maks it fun to play and the nylon strings are a little easier on the fingers although mine have begun to callous a bit which makes it much less painless overall.
I'm working also on a couple of different finger patterns which is fun to try and learn. Things have begun to come together for me in the past couple of weeks where some of the stuff I'm working on is starting to sound like music.

JP....I agree with you about no becoming too caught up in rule and rote. I found it hard playing both a G and F chord...by the book, so I just figured it out my way and I have progressed along pretty well now with those chords.

I have played since I was 14. Took it up so I could play in a band and hook up with great looking girls. Worked a charm. Started with Rock, soul and R&B. Gave up playing in my 30's, but picked it up again when I gained an appreciation for country. Now I have an old Yahama box that I play country and do some decent blues licks on.

Looking forward to Sunday. A buddy of mine is a professional musician and his wife is throwing a birthday bash at his house. Invited all his buddies who play and we are going to jam into the night. He has a full studio in his house. Should be some fun.

I play the drums. I'm probably only good for a steady beat and a few rolls every once in a while;-) I enjoy playing though.

I also mess around with the guitar. I have a Martin DXC1E. I think thats right.

Hobbies/Music

Hobbies/Music

As far as playing, its acoustic dreadnaughts, Martins
being my favorite. I been at it, as a jammer, for about
40 + years. Mainly Bluegrass, Old Time Mountain music,
early country, etc.
I like most all types of music, and instruments, including
the voices (singing). I love listening to old Delta Blues,
John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, etc. Hendrix was amazing
for me, his guitar solo on Red House is an all time favorite.
SRV was a favorite also.
Music keeps you grounded, when used correctly.

I have played the guitar since I was 12. 42 years. Yikes! Professionally since I was 14. Traveled on the road for several years. Go see Crazy Heart. That captures life on the road playing in small towns and small bars.

My middle finger gets swollen after a round of golf and interfers with my guitar playing a bit.

Does anyone play guitar?

Does anyone play guitar?

Does anyone else on here enjoy to play the guitar and if so do you have any song tabs or suggestions?

I play guitar but im not in a band right now.

I play and build my own guitars.
Dust in the wind - kansas is one of my favorite songs to play.

Oh sorry. Just joined the site today and im still trying to get used to it.

Oh sorry. Just joined the site today and im still trying to get used to it.

No reason to be sorry. He was just trying to help, welcome to the site. I havent picked up a guitar in a few years but I wouldnt mind getting another acoustic for messing around on the couch.

Back