Everyone should own a TS9 or 808...plenty of great variants out there. I have a pedal addiction...so many, so little time

I have a Line 6 Helix Stomp and a PRS Silver Sky en route. Been playing since 1968. Mostly through two Carr Skylark amps in stereo. I recorded on a big hit in the early 70's, Baker Street by the late Gerry Rafferty. Many infamous garage bands and was jack of all trades for many notable musicians and groups until I got entrance to med school. Took lessons with Terry Kath when he was my next door neighbor in 1969! He and many others are missed.

I've always been a fan of the Boss DS-1. As a generic rock distortion pedal, you can't go wrong with it. Of course, it really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. There are a ton of pedals out there these days, from $50 up to get-a-loan range, and they're all pretty different.

I've always been a fan of the Boss DS-1. As a generic rock distortion pedal, you can't go wrong with it. Of course, it really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. There are a ton of pedals out there these days, from $50 up to get-a-loan range, and they're all pretty different.

I think I've got 4 or 5 distortion/OD pedals floating around somewhere. I like the TS-9 and the TC Electronic Dark Matter chained together. Gives a unique crunch. I'm still trying to dial those in. As Shred so eloquently said earlier "so many pedals, so little time." I'm impressed with the amount of quality pedals that have come out over the last few years and at reasonable prices. Plus I'm always watching the Wampler and JHS Youtube videos to see what those guys are tinkering with.

Everyone should own a TS9 or 808...plenty of great variants out there. I have a pedal addiction...so many, so little time

I actually have built hundreds of pedals (I also build tube amps)! Love making 808 variants and changing little things and adding tons of switches. Or fine tuning them for peoples personal tastes

I am new to hackers paradise and love this forum- And I learned all of my audio electronics via various forums out there like diystompboxes.com and madbeanpedals.com

Funny enough I am a bit low on money because all of my funds just got tied up into purchasing a small music shop in Crestwood, KY. Gonna be making a lot of changes and the purchase is still in progress (albeit in the very final stages) but the website and youtube presence will definitely increase here in the next few months. Check us out at /URL]
The website is pretty antiquated from the previous owner- but its a huge work in progress.

I love repairing and modifying guitars and electronics, buildingtrue to vintage style fender and marshall amps models with some modern modifications. I Also churn out pedals all the time and am selling off some of my early builds- though I dont build as much as I did 6 years ago before the market got saturated with tons of amazing builders. Its insane how that market has gotten over the last 8 years. And I would love to be able to offer some discounts to fellow THP'ers!

here's some pics of some of my babies!

IMG_1811.JPGIMG_2090.JPGIMG_2230.PNG

Having just recently gotten reacquainted with my guitars I have two questions:

1. Any recommendations for online educational content whether paid/free for blues guitar?

2. Any music/guitar forum recommendations? There seem to be a lot---that are not great

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ball marker for guitar pick.

Last edited:

1. Any recommendations for online educational content whether paid/free for blues guitar?

2. Any music/guitar forum recommendations? There seem to be a lot---that are not great

The Acoustic Guitar Forum is a great place.

Truefire has a great variety of lessons, tutorials and tools, and their pricing is reasonable. You can pay by the course and own the content or subscribe to their All Access plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been GASing after a Klein headless electric guitar since I first saw one in an ad back in the early '90s. Steve Klein didn't make them very long, and the originals go for ridiculous money these days ($6-10K). I remember not long ago stumbling across a company that sold a DIY kit version, but couldn't find it when I went looking again recently. When I contacted them, the guy told me he still has some of them, and would sell me one at his cost plus shipping. So, it shipped today, and is on it's way from Australia. Really looking forward to building this, and even more looking forward to playing it. Probably won't go with white (random internet pic), more likely some shade of gray.

Klein-500.jpg

I belong to TheGearPage.net Seems to be a good bunch of peeps on that site.

Ball marker for guitar pick.

Ask some of the guys in here I've golfed with what my ball marker is. :D It's a Dunlop Tortex .88 green pick. I always have a pocketful of them. Great markers.

I've been GASing after a Klein headless electric guitar since I first saw one in an ad back in the early '90s. Steve Klein didn't make them very long, and the originals go for ridiculous money these days ($6-10K). I remember not long ago stumbling across a company that sold a DIY kit version, but couldn't find it when I went looking again recently. When I contacted them, the guy told me he still has some of them, and would sell me one at his cost plus shipping. So, it shipped today, and is on it's way from Australia. Really looking forward to building this, and even more looking forward to playing it. Probably won't go with white (random internet pic), more likely some shade of gray.

View attachment 36505

That almost looks like something Greg Kihn used in the 80's. Pretty neat looking and hopefully it lives up to your expectations. Nice Find Prog.

For those that have been following along with my PRS MT15 saga, the 2nd one arrived today. Woohoo!!! It's Christmas again. Hopefully this one lasts longer than 4 hours. So I don't screw this up, here is how I intend to break it in:

Let it get to room temperature
Plug in my speaker cabs-2x Marshall 10" @16 Ohms each (Head is rated at 8 for 2 cabinets or 16 for 1 cabinet) I was told that's not an issue as long as you run higher with the cabs
Turn it on and leave it in Standby for a few minutes so the tubes can settle and break in
Jam the eff out

If any of you more seasoned amp guys see an issue with my methodology let me know. Several people said it should be good but I also trust your opinions. If it sounds as good as the 1st one and lasts I'll be happy as hell.

:rockon:

Last edited:
Quick update. This PRS, in Shred's words "Is a fine piece of amplification equipment. " This one is much better than the last amp. No crackling or popping like the 1st one. Tone is exactly what I'm looking for. Now it's time to work on the riffs. And this bad boy chugs like a mid 80's frat house. :rockon:

Truefire is good...a few of my buddies teach on there.

TheGearPage.net is the end all be all for guitar gear. I’ve been there since it grew out of the original PRS Forum in the early 2000’s. There are way too many people there now but it is informative and the classifieds can be awesome.

Now this is how you spend Christmas.

Dtr7qKCXcAIWF2c.jpg

Always love to play 90s songs. Because those songs inspire me to go ahead. I love guitar a lot.

Although I'm not really a musician anymore, my son Nick is the longhaired guitarist for the Dee Snider Band ( Twisted Sister ). I'll post a link to their video the record label just put out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vnQobMrDtfg

Attachments

• IMG_1823.JPG
    IMG_1823.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9109_2.jpg
    IMG_9109_2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1544133760942.jpg
    FB_IMG_1544133760942.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0
Although I'm not really a musician anymore, my son Nick is the longhaired guitarist for the Dee Snider Band ( Twisted Sister ).

That sounds like a pretty cool gig. He seems like an entertaining guy.

Wife bought me a couple of things I had sitting in an Amazon shopping list. One was a power supply for my Ampeg SCR-DI. No more batteries. She also bought me a USB floppy disk emulator so I can convert my old Roland XP-80 sequencer from floppy drive to USB. Maybe I'll get another 17 years out of that thing.

This doesn’t suck

13aef0e5b17991735ca1481389894c58.jpg

This doesn’t suck

13aef0e5b17991735ca1481389894c58.jpg

i need a new pair of underwear. seriously that’s really damn close to one of my dream setups, attenuator and all. you remain my hero!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back