This doesn’t suck

13aef0e5b17991735ca1481389894c58.jpg

You are the man. Wouldn't mind a rig like that at all. Now go forth and Shred.

I really want to learn some instrument. Maybe drums or guitar! But i barely have anytime for myself! I don't think it'll ever happen

I really want to learn some instrument. Maybe drums or guitar! But i barely have anytime for myself! I don't think it'll ever happen

Only one way to find out...

Don't sell yourself short. If you can find just a few minutes a day, you can learn to play guitar. I've been learning it for 42 years (I'm 52) and finally got around to the theory part of it over the last couple of them. There are a lot great quality entry level guitars that can be had or even some fantastic used ones for little money. Good luck with what you decide and dive in and have fun.

This doesn’t suck

That is an epic setup dude. Holy crap.

Sidenote - what are your thoughts on high wattage tube amps through attenuators vs low wattage tube amps? I have no opinion one way or the other, other than that I have a low wattage amp because I have no need for a bigger one, but just curious how well the attenuator captures the full saturation tone.

That is an epic setup dude. Holy crap.

Sidenote - what are your thoughts on high wattage tube amps through attenuators vs low wattage tube amps? I have no opinion one way or the other, other than that I have a low wattage amp because I have no need for a bigger one, but just curious how well the attenuator captures the full saturation tone.

I think there is a sweet spot with an attenuator that still yields high volume but is much better than running a low-watt amp quietly...there isn't a 1:1 correlation between output power and volume...Fletcher-Munson curve and all that. I think a 100 watt head through a 4x12 cab at low volume is still more enjoyable for bedroom playing than a 15 watt Blues Junior or something. You still have to wind those small amps up to get the goods. I've had the good fortune of playing 100 and even 200 watt heads on stage in big venues, festivals, etc and there is nothing like your pants legs flapping in the wind lol...Low-watt amps have their purpose but I always want to crank them up...I think most people that just play at home would be just as well suited to something like a Boss Katana solid state amp or a modeler into studio monitors. It is very hard to reach tube amp saturation / sweet spot without volume.

That said, the OX is brilliant...I can run full volume, I can attenuate, I can run silent and plug into the headphone jack and all the while I can provide a line out to my recording interface or FOH board and use the built in cab emulation which is really good...better than IR's IMHO as it actually provides real resistive feedback to the amp...the OX software allows you to pick your favorite rigs (cab / mic combos) and assign them to the 6 way rotary dial on the front and select them on the fly. You can define mic distance, EQ, axis orientation, etc...it has built in studio quality effects like plate reverb, delay, EQ, compressor...

I'll record something using the line out now that I have it dialed in a bit. I'm really enjoying being primarily analog with my amplification again vs the last 2 years of going direct everywhere I play.

And I can be heard from space now...

Got me a Cry Baby over the weekend at Sweetwater. We made a trip up there last Saturday and I spent some cash. The Cry Baby is cool. I've never owned one before so it's going to take some practice to get used to it. I also took my PRS head over to my friends studio on Monday to try it on a 4x12 and man it will get your attention when you turn it up. Definitely has the crunch and chunk I've been looking for.

Got me a Cry Baby over the weekend at Sweetwater. We made a trip up there last Saturday and I spent some cash. The Cry Baby is cool. I've never owned one before so it's going to take some practice to get used to it. I also took my PRS head over to my friends studio on Monday to try it on a 4x12 and man it will get your attention when you turn it up. Definitely has the crunch and chunk I've been looking for.

Sweetwater...I love that place...and my sales engineer hooks me up as a frequent flier

I need to learn some self control...

I need to learn some self control...

pics or it didn’t happen. and i have no idea what “it” is lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pics or it didn’t happen. and i have no idea what “it” is lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Incoming Charvel Guthrie Govan Ash model

a2de6e0cd32b4e1e7faf4609dc97b25f.jpg

The woodworker in me loves the look of this guitar. Like something the guys on This Old House would use!

DUDE!!!!! That is sweet!

I’m pretty stoked. I worked a few NAMM shows with Guthrie back in the day but can’t claim to know him outside of a few cups of coffee and what not...but these things are freaking killer Guitars.

b7df7cc343c482aa2a87e97630ae5e63.jpg

I’m pretty stoked. I worked a few NAMM shows with Guthrie back in the day but can’t claim to know him outside of a few cups of coffee and what not...but these things are freaking killer Guitars.

that's pretty awesome. he is a shredding god among men, but he seems like a really weird/awkward dude to try to talk to.

Found out the Hagstrom I have had since I was a kid was made in 1966 and was one of 999 HIII build that year. Pretty cool stuff.
e971711bca1a0297cb92035d21c87ff3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think there is a sweet spot with an attenuator that still yields high volume but is much better than running a low-watt amp quietly...there isn't a 1:1 correlation between output power and volume...Fletcher-Munson curve and all that. I think a 100 watt head through a 4x12 cab at low volume is still more enjoyable for bedroom playing than a 15 watt Blues Junior or something. You still have to wind those small amps up to get the goods. I've had the good fortune of playing 100 and even 200 watt heads on stage in big venues, festivals, etc and there is nothing like your pants legs flapping in the wind lol...Low-watt amps have their purpose but I always want to crank them up...I think most people that just play at home would be just as well suited to something like a Boss Katana solid state amp or a modeler into studio monitors. It is very hard to reach tube amp saturation / sweet spot without volume.

That said, the OX is brilliant...I can run full volume, I can attenuate, I can run silent and plug into the headphone jack and all the while I can provide a line out to my recording interface or FOH board and use the built in cab emulation which is really good...better than IR's IMHO as it actually provides real resistive feedback to the amp...the OX software allows you to pick your favorite rigs (cab / mic combos) and assign them to the 6 way rotary dial on the front and select them on the fly. You can define mic distance, EQ, axis orientation, etc...it has built in studio quality effects like plate reverb, delay, EQ, compressor...

I'll record something using the line out now that I have it dialed in a bit. I'm really enjoying being primarily analog with my amplification again vs the last 2 years of going direct everywhere I play.

And I can be heard from space now...

Sounds like cool stuff! I am nowhere near as well-versed in different amp setups and configurations as yourself, more just curious whether a bigger amp was ever something I should be looking into. I'm able to get nice saturation from my 18W H&K head at home levels, but I'm cheating a little bit because 1) it has a built in attenuator and can adjust down to 1W or 5W levels and 2) I goose it with an OD a lot of the time for higher gain tones. I like the touch sensitivity of tube stuff, so I do what I can to sound good at home levels.

And yeah I've never experienced the full blast of powerful heads through big cabs, because I've never played anywhere big like that. But man it sounds like an experience!!

Found out the Hagstrom I have had since I was a kid was made in 1966 and was one of 999 HIII build that year. Pretty cool stuff.
e971711bca1a0297cb92035d21c87ff3.jpg

...not sure if enough switches.

Some of the nicest playing guitars I've come across have been vintage Hagstroms. Really interesting axes.

I am thinking of getting it restored to original condition if that is possible and holding on to it for the granddaughter, she may be the lucky one to have natural skills. I have none, my dad was a self taught piano player and could listen to a song and play it after a few hours of fiddling around.

Love Charvel/Jackson guitars. Govan is definitely character but a fantastic guitar player. Nice buy Shred.

Love Charvel/Jackson guitars. Govan is definitely character but a fantastic guitar player. Nice buy Shred.

Guthrie made me quit playing one time lol...

I was working a booth at Nashville NAMM about 15 years ago, demoing for an amp company. Kerry Livgren from Kansas was in the booth next to me and caddy-corner was Cornford Amps...no demo guy or special appearance yet. About halfway through the day some guy that looks like a cult member sits down cross legged in their booth, presses play on a boom box and proceeds to ruin my freaking day with his unbelievable playing. After about 20 minutes of staring I quietly put my guitar behind a 4x12 cabinet and started handing out brochures and pretending we weren’t doing demos. Great guy though lol.

Guess it wasn’t meant to be. Seller sent me a note saying he couldn’t ship for more than a week, sent me a refund...

0a49c461308a92c31443f1f5ceca9ac2.jpg

Sweetwater never has been the best at negotiating.

0a49c461308a92c31443f1f5ceca9ac2.jpg

Sweetwater never has been the best at negotiating.

One of the best things about living close to Sweetwater is everything is practically overnight. If I order by 2PM most weekdays, I get it next day. But yeah, those prices are ridiculous for that kind of shipping.

Back