im looking into buying an acoustic and already have an electric.

Right now im learning Jessica by the Alman Brothers on my Washburn

Yep, check out my avatar ! Currently trying to but a new band together.

Started playing guitar about 25 years ago when I was 11. Have done the band thing, most recently just a few years ago. Loved doing it, but it just took too much time and devotion for someone my age with responsibilities, a child, wife, full time job, home, etc. Got rid of most of my guitars, H&K head and cabinet, and other gear. I did hang on to the crown jewel of my collection though, a 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom. Not sure if I still have any pics of it, or of us playing live or not? I'll have to check.

I play bass primarily and some guitar.
Old school Peavey Foundation 4string
Old Epiphone Acoustic Electric(got for 130$, sounds better than the 1500-2000$ guitars I've bought and sold over the years).

Currently building my own 4string fretless bass, and a telecaster style guitar.

the only guitar i play is on guitar hero 5 on my xbox. :)

I try to play, but am not very good. I have a relatively cheap Takamine acoustic. I enjoy it enough and I have some fun but I'm very limited in my repertoire. I like playing Tears in Heaven the most probably. Not too difficult at all.

I don't but I believe John Daly does

I've played for 3 years. I took lessons for 6 months and then started teaching myself. That only lasted for about a month. After that I put it down just messing with it mabye once a month for over a year. Recently I started getting back into it and i enjoy playing classic rock, some blues, new pop/rock, and punk rock. I love playing Green Day songs and they are definentally one of my favorite bands. Right now I am looking for a cheap but fairly nice acoustic guitar. Any suggestions?

Grew up singing in church, started playing French horn in middle school, played in bands and orchestras for years through college, got a music degree, then hurt my left shoulder and haven't played in three years. Took up guitar to play while leading music at church but am mostly self taught and just play rythym. I do play a decend Rock Band guitar over at my inlaws, though, haha. :)

I started playing bass when I was about 15 and guitar a couple of years later. Some friends and I started a band for a while but we were all of the place - I liked punk/hardcore at the time, our guitarist likes metal, and the drummer was into death metal and grindcore. I haven't had very much time for it since I finished university.

As you can probably tell from my username, I'm a drummer.
Self taught, been playing for a little over 10 years. Took it up at the ripe age of 41.
Blues, country, classic rock are my mainstays.

I've played guitar for about 13 years and bass guitar for about 8 years (on and off). I was actually in a a few bands with another forum member, Fooldog, back in our college years. Here is a link to some of our stuff back in the day. http://www.myspace.com/lastnamebasis

FYI Hendix didn't OD he asphixiated. I don't think thats technically an OD. I play guitfiddle a little and have some real nice guitars, a Pre factory PRS custom 24, a strat i put together from parts i liked best (best strat i have ever touched and i have played alot of cutom shops and even real 64), and a Gibson Songwriter which is awesome, real low action for an acoustic!

FYI Hendix didn't OD he asphixiated. I don't think thats technically an OD. I play guitfiddle a little and have some real nice guitars, a Pre factory PRS custom 24, a strat i put together from parts i liked best (best strat i have ever touched and i have played alot of cutom shops and even real 64), and a Gibson Songwriter which is awesome, real low action for an acoustic!

The cause of death noted on the coroner's report was inhalation of vomit after barbiturate intoxication.
To me....that's as good as an OD.

Just my 2 cents.

I've played for 3 years. I took lessons for 6 months and then started teaching myself. That only lasted for about a month. After that I put it down just messing with it mabye once a month for over a year. Recently I started getting back into it and i enjoy playing classic rock, some blues, new pop/rock, and punk rock. I love playing Green Day songs and they are definentally one of my favorite bands. Right now I am looking for a cheap but fairly nice acoustic guitar. Any suggestions?

Samicks Gregg Bennett line of acoustics are pretty nice and under $200. I've got one with a cedar top and I love the tone

Samicks Gregg Bennett line of acoustics are pretty nice and under $200. I've got one with a cedar top and I love the tone

Thanks. I ended up getting an Epiphone PR-150 a few months ago and its pretty good. And welcome to THP!

Anybody have an amplifier suggestion. I'm looking for a decent sized amp under $300 that has good effects. I was thinking about Line 6 but the size seems to small for the price. I'm looking for a combo amp.

NYC hardcore huh? NICE!
I went to school for Audio Engineering and Music Production at New School University and New York University just before the millennia. I was partners in a small production studio where we mostly did demos under contract with labels. I made some cash and had a ton of fun, but the stability (and benefits) of my current profession (sales/marketing of high-end audio & video equipment) drew me away from 12 hour days behind a console pretty easily.
I sold most of my personal project studio's gear, but nowadays with computer modeling, I probably wouldn't need 90% of it anyway!

Anybody have an amplifier suggestion. I'm looking for a decent sized amp under $300 that has good effects. I was thinking about Line 6 but the size seems to small for the price. I'm looking for a combo amp.

What kind of stuff do you play John? Amp selection would be in part at least, determined by what you play

What kind of stuff do you play John? Amp selection would be in part at least, determined by what you play

Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Punk rock, Southern Rock, maybe even a little mellow rock and some slower stuff too. So I would be looking for an amp that could have a nice clean tone but then could be cranked up to play hard rock.

I've played guitar for years but have strayed the last couple. If you're looking for a good amp my suggestion would be to head over to the closest music store if you can! Definitely try them all out. Sound is such a personal thing, much like feel for golf clubs. I have a Peavey amp I just bought that sounds amazing to me. But to some a line6 might be the way to go. So many options out there that it just blew my mind. The stuff the Peavey amp does not isnt something I could've imagined 10 years ago.

Marshall is always a classic but the Marshall's I've had required very specific set ups to sound good to me lol. I play a les paul right now and absolutely love the little guy I have.

I bought a Vox Valvetronix VT15 amp. Really satisfied with it right now!

I've been off/on with the guitar for a few years. Started out by learning Dwight Yoakam's acoustic.net CD's, then realized they were hard as hell and switched to trying Jack Johnson style surf music and a little Wilco.

Back