Must Read Golf Books

Joshnoble01

2024 THP Fantasy Football Experience w/ Adam Rank
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am sure as with a lot of you reading has taken an uptick recently with Convid-19. What are the must read golf books? I have recently re-read The Match and Ben Hogans 5 Lessons. What else should I be reading golf related whether it is fiction, non-fiction (auto)-biography, or training/lessons?

A few that are on my shelves:

A Course Called Scotland
A Course Called Ireland
An American Caddie in St. Andrews
Shanks for Nothing
A Good Walk Spoiled
Moment of Glory
Loopers
Caddy for Life
The Majors
Q-School
One Magical Sunday
Harvey Penick's Little Red Book
And If You Play Golf, You're My Friend

The Big Miss
My Life in and Out of the Rough (John Daly)
Who's Your Caddy
My Shot (Golf Digest)

I have a couple copies here if you would like to read them - PM your details and I'll get them off to you

A few that are on my shelves:

A Course Called Scotland
A Course Called Ireland
An American Caddie in St. Andrews
Shanks for Nothing
A Good Walk Spoiled
Moment of Glory
Loopers
Caddy for Life
The Majors
Q-School
One Magical Sunday
And If You Play Golf, You're My Friend
Was I even mentioned in Shanks for Nothing?

I am sure as with a lot of you reading has taken an uptick recently with Convid-19. What are the must read golf books? I have recently re-read The Match and Ben Hogans 5 Lessons. What else should I be reading golf related whether it is fiction, non-fiction (auto)-biography, or training/lessons?
Here's a few of my collection...
20200421_222304.jpg

One that I should add...

The Inner Game of Golf by Timothy Gallwey.

Some good ones listed already. Some I've read that I highly recommend:

Nonfiction (Tour players/events)
A Good Walk Spoiled (Really anything by John Feinstein)
Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black
Greatest Game Ever Played, The: Harry Vardon, Francis Ouimet, and the Birth of Modern Golf (Mark Frost)
Hogan (Curt Sampson)

Instructional
The Practice Manual (Adam Young)

Fiction
Dead Solid Perfect (Dan Jenkins)

The Practice Manual (Adam Young
How do you / did you find this? Is it a good read and easy to learn from?

For me, I have the following books (all of which I have yet to finish!
Zen Golf - Dr. Joseph Parent
Natural Golf - Seve Ballesteros
Happy Golf Starts Here - Bryan Skavnak

Books...

The Art of Scoring by Stan Utley is a pretty good read.

2 books that are on my shelf - quite different in style. Depending on mood, I like one better than the other.
Harvey Penicks Little Red Book
Dave Pelz Short Game Bible

I've not got many, but I do quite like Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella. Is more about the psychology about what stops you scoring well, parts of it need taking with a wee pinch of salt, but there is some good theory about not punishing yourself if you hit bad shots or don't get the outcome you want. I got it from eBay for about Β£2, so figured I'd take a punt.

My current golf library - not really a big golf book reader:
  • Positive Impact Golf - Brian Sparks
  • Extraordinary Putting - Fred Shoemaker
  • Extraordinary Golf - Fred Shoemaker
  • Ben Hogans Five Lessons
  • Tiger Woods How I Play Golf

Little Red Book.

I read it literally 2-3 times a year.

101 Supershots by Chi Chi Rodriguez. There are a lot of creative shots from tee to green, as well as on the putting green.

I happened to have Ben Hogans sitting on my desk and was reading it between meetings. Forgot how great it is. Been a while since I picked it up.

Rick Riley Books. His books are so entertaining.

v\\

The Art of Scoring by Stan Utley is a pretty good read.

I was just looking at Stan's The Art of Putting and The Art of the Short Game. I was watching some of his videos and really understand his teaching methods.

Instruction:
On Learning Golf, Percy Boomer
The Elements of Scoring, Raymond Floyd.

Remenice:
A Golfer's Education, Darren Kilfara. A member of the Harvard golf team wangles his junior year abroad at the University of St. Andrews. Guess why? Very well-written description of golf and golf courses in Scotland, plus a twee love story.

The Downhill Lie by Carl Hiaessen. A very funny read for the average or worse golfer. A story about Carl's quitting of the game from frustration in his younger years and returning to it 32 years later at the age of 50. I think it was Mike Lupica who suggested he keep a diary of his experiences returning to the game as he may find something to write about. Hopefully someone else posting to this thread will have read it and offer their thoughts as well.

I've not got many, but I do quite like Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella. Is more about the psychology about what stops you scoring well, parts of it need taking with a wee pinch of salt, but there is some good theory about not punishing yourself if you hit bad shots or don't get the outcome you want. I got it from eBay for about Β£2, so figured I'd take a punt.

This was recommended to me. Clear and simple ideas on the mental side of golf. I found it very helpful. (y)

i've recently added a few to the library:

every shot must have a purpose
be a player
play your best golf now

Zen Golf and Zen Putting, both good reads and and very helpful.

Back