My apologies for my prior Hybrid prejudice

Graz

Husker Pride Nation Wide
Reaction score
Handicap
I used to think hybrids were for the older guys and for that I am sorry. I decided after struggling with my long irons to purchase my first hybrid, a Callaway FT 3h. Boy was I wrong with my prior ignorant point of view. I immediately hit my new hybrid with ease and confidence. I can not say enough about hybrids now. I played my first round with the hybrid today after a few sessions with it at the range and it was fan-fricken-tastic. I am now a believer!!! I guess I should not have judged the older golfers since they can whoop me up and down the course hybrid or no hybrid. :)

Graz-

It's OK. We all have some prejudices - I won't bag a Taylormade for example. Good on you for trying something new to see if it helps your game though.

My dad, who just got back to the game after a 30 year layoff, was adamant that he would not have a hybrid. When he played in the 60's and 70's, his favorite club was a 2 iron, and he really wanted another. He ended up not getting a 2, or a 3 for that matter - the guy at the local Golfsmith talked him out of them for his set (MX-200). This weekend he admitted that while he uses his 4 to punch out from under trees, he really can't make good contact with the ball on full swings with it. He's looking at hybrids today.

I carry one hybrid, and it really is the most versatile club in the bag. There's one dogleg left on my course that takes a hybrid tee shot. If I pull left a bit, I'm in the trees, and I can normally use the hybrid to find something close to the green with a little 1/2 punch shot. I also use it for chipping on some holes. Great clubs.

Still working with my 585 - when I hit it - it's majestic.....

when I don't it's usually in the right rough......

I hit my 2006 Callaway FT 3h more consistently than my 4 and 5 iron even though it is a replacement for the 3 iron. Am looking for another 2006 model in 4h.

I've only got one in the bag 19 degree TaylorMade but find it my go to club in a lot of situations including being a blimmin reliable stick off the tee.

Coming back into the game after a 4 year break I was sceptical but after hitting a mates I was sold and bought one the next day!

I've got one as well. Love it especially if I'm in a tight lie, teeing off into a narrow fairway, or in a fairway bunker that I think I can make a run at the green from. No shame in using a hybrid at all for me.

callaway hybrid

callaway hybrid

hi, I just played my real first decent round of golf this weekend, and my Callaway FT 3 hybrid was my go to club. I cannot hit fairway woods at all, and the 3h was a stroke saver. I do have other hybrids in the bag, but somehow the 3h is a life saver. I do have Nike Sumo2 hybrids for the thick rough.

Graz,
I felt that way for quite a while, but they changed my game.

Us "older guys" forgive you:clapp::clapp:
I used to think hybrids were for the older guys and for that I am sorry. I decided after struggling with my long irons to purchase my first hybrid, a Callaway FT 3h. Boy was I wrong with my prior ignorant point of view. I immediately hit my new hybrid with ease and confidence. I can not say enough about hybrids now. I played my first round with the hybrid today after a few sessions with it at the range and it was fan-fricken-tastic. I am now a believer!!! I guess I should not have judged the older golfers since they can whoop me up and down the course hybrid or no hybrid. :)

It has been almost a month since I originally started this thread and my game has improved a ton just by switching my 3 iron out for my FT 3H hybrid. It has certainly been a comfort club for me. I have even considered pulling 4 iron for a hybrid. The hybrid has been a game saver and mind saver!!!

Oh No. You are going to force me to put my hybrid back in my bag so I can decide AGAIN that I don't like it. I am like a crack addict that is just sure it won't leave me broke and sick this time.

Someone stop me. "Step away from the hybrid and no one gets hurt."

Oh No. You are going to force me to put my hybrid back in my bag so I can decide AGAIN that I don't like it. I am like a crack addict that is just sure it won't leave me broke and sick this time.

Someone stop me. "Step away from the hybrid and no one gets hurt."

I know your pain. I keep going back to different putters with the thought that I will finally like them. A former Scotty addiction can get pricey. :)

It has been almost a month since I originally started this thread and my game has improved a ton just by switching my 3 iron out for my FT 3H hybrid. It has certainly been a comfort club for me. I have even considered pulling 4 iron for a hybrid. The hybrid has been a game saver and mind saver!!!

I am on board with this completely. I have hit shots with my 19* Halo hybrid that I wouldn't even try with a 3 iron. If you don't like the graphite shaft hybrids then try a steel shaft in one, I think it makes a big difference, at least it did for me. I hit it like I hit a long iron not like a fairway wood. I still occasionally take a 1 iron with me to the range just to benchmark my swing but I don't carry an iron bigger than a 4 any more out onto the golf course.

Every trip to the range I make it a point to practice chipping with my hybrid between 70 and 120 yards. Distance control is a challenge, but I can't tell you how many times that shot has now saved my bacon when I find myself in the woods somewhere and need to make some significant forward progress. I know I can't make that shot with a 4I.

Back