My backyard putting green project

just think of the satisfaction you will have when its done.

Good point. In the meantime, I’m surviving on Motrin to help my 57 yo body.

Quote the project but having friends over and summer nights on patio will be fun.

Although we had our green professionally installed, the prep of the area as to tree, shrub, root removal was all on us.

Obviously, the foundation is paramount and the foundation actually begins UNDER the soon to be applied stone.

Our company, supported by my own research, stated that it was hugely important to remove as many roots within the entire intended surface as possible.

It would take a while but if many are not removed, they will eventually decay and as you may imagine, compromise the integrity of the sub-base as there will be a lot of weight applied above. The residual affect would be eventual deformation upon the green's surface.

We already had an electric SunJoe tiller so I used that to expose as much as I reasonably could. Because my project space was within the edge of (formerly) light woods, there were LOTS of roots once removed.

Two years later, in the exact area I'd have suspected, I'm now addressing very minor sagging.

I couldn't get any heavy(ish) equipment back there and I just couldn't get all roots by hand in that one more dense spot. Forget hours... days into a couple of weeks just hacking away in that one area.

Keep in mind, our build had tons upon tons of stone and crushed stone applied. 22 tons to be exact! So the downward force is incredible.

Ours is not yet an issue. Every couple of months, usually more just to keep it running fast, I run the 300 lb lawn roller over the entire green in multiple directions, and we're good.

Just different from new as the slowly formed slight depression is what it is. Doesn't negatively affect putting, actually adds some new and appreciated break. I prefer how it is now, actually. But who knows what the future holds?

My long winded rant is to say, prep the *helloutta* the space and remove as many roots, big and small, as you possibly can.

Best of luck, cool/great project!

Looks a great project. We are about to move and will have a big enough garden to accept a putting area without having a detrimental effect on the rest of the garden. I think I’m going to go for an indoor sim with skytrack or similar 1st due to UK weather but I’m really considering a putting green.

Thanks for all the info.
I spent today making sure all roots were completely gone and moved 100 concrete blocks to the back (aprox. 200’) via wheelbarrowing. Tomorrow I’ll build the wall. BEE3B2EF-A77B-49D4-A765-3FD2D46070FE.jpeg56869901-2585-4899-90DE-C9B61A91B86F.jpeg

Thanks for all the info.
I spent today making sure all roots were completely gone and moved 100 concrete blocks to the back (aprox. 200’) via wheelbarrowing. Tomorrow I’ll build the wall. View attachment 8957415View attachment 8957416
I will have to defer to you on the wall. I have no experience at masonry at all and know nothing about how to install rebar as it looks as though that would be necessary. My other concerns would be property drainage, how it could affect the neighbors e.t.c. At least it doesn't look like you have any worries concerning your own house foundation.

Following this thread is reassuring my thought I will never have one of these in my backyard. If I do, I will have to get the professionals.

What an awesome project which will bring you many years of satisfaction because not only will you enjoy practicing on it, but the fact you did it by yourself. Bravo.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and advise.
A little slow going today. I dug a trench used road base then tamped the blocks down below the ground surface. Time consuming because I’ve never done this type or size of a wall beforehand I really gotta make it level. I also made the green area a little bigger again.
I should finish the wall tomorrow. D9A9A018-206F-463C-9BE9-6350AD5C682F.jpeg

Thanks again for all the encouragement and advise.
A little slow going today. I dug a trench used road base then tamped the blocks down below the ground surface. Time consuming because I’ve never done this type or size of a wall beforehand I really gotta make it level. I also made the green area a little bigger again.
I should finish the wall tomorrow. View attachment 8957630
That’s going to be a great space! I like the wall so far!

This is a great build, nice work so far. Very cool!

I built the wall. 3814AD98-E41B-4E38-B62F-F3595D8D0412.jpeg4E5EE463-5E2D-4A0D-8239-C92FEA7C8F1E.jpegCB495153-54AF-4BB9-B3E2-71E5C275B494.jpeg Trump would be so proud. Lol.
So this putting green went from what I envisioned as 9’x18’ to 14’x 24’. I’m really happy with the size and shape. And, it’s level!
Road base and DG was delivered on my driveway today. I’ll be humping it up steps and down steps tomorrow.
Still a lot of work ahead, but I’m finally seeing some progress. I’ll update again tomorrow.

Looks like a fantastic job on the wall. You got SKILLZ.

Fast progress, that is a ton of work. 💪

Wall looks great! I really like the shape.

Couple shovel-fulls of dirt in your driveway now! It’ll be worth it though. Coming along real nice!

Awesome! You’re really putting in work this week!

what is holding the wall blocks together? are they cemented or just stacked? no rebar? I ask only because I do not know.

I think this qualifies and more for the you-know-your-addicted-to-golf-when..... thread.

Can't wait to see it when you're done and all that hard work you're putting in now pays off.

The blocks interlock together. I’ll try to post a pic tomorrow

Setup looks great. I'm pestering the wife for something like this so I'm counting on you and others DIY to get it primo 👌

DG (Decomposed Granite) day.
I rented a compactor for $40/day. Then spent a couple hours compacting the road base. Then I moved 2 1/2 yards of DG. Spread and ompacted the DG as I watered it in for another couple hours. Then soaked it all. Tomorrow I’m going to start to add DG to make a small mound for break. I painted some pink lines to simulate where I think I’ll put the fringe.0E145121-DDE8-4184-BC45-136BE3416FCD.jpeg54F983C9-CF4C-4EEE-A921-14F7F5655063.jpeg2EF97DE8-97DD-4145-A095-330D27C29B8F.jpeg98478B47-E16A-4394-B7E6-03B6439DE982.jpeg

That is a lot of earth to move up steps! Well done!!

It’s really coming along!

Back