My backyard putting green project

(y)

Man this has been a fun read! Tons of work & looks fantastic. That will be one heck of a back yard when finished!

Looking great. Lots of effort put in here. I love projects like this, mostly when they are complete. ;)

DG (Decomposed Granite) day.
I rented a compactor for $40/day. Then spent a couple hours compacting the road base. Then I moved 2 1/2 yards of DG. Spread and ompacted the DG as I watered it in for another couple hours. Then soaked it all. Tomorrow I’m going to start to add DG to make a small mound for break. I painted some pink lines to simulate where I think I’ll put the fringe.View attachment 8958223View attachment 8958224View attachment 8958225View attachment 8958226
That is amazing progress! Looks fantastic next to the pool.

Just read through this and rhat looks awesome

Very impressive. A lot more work than my project which took me two weeks by myself. SO, I can really appreciate what you have done. It's going to be beautiful after the putting turf gets put it in.:love:

Want to come do my house now? Since you built one already, you should fly through mine.

All seriousness: this is F***ING AWESOME.

This is going to look amazing. The whole back yard

A well needed slow day yesterday. I just wet the surface a lot and added about 2 wheelbarrows of DG to make a small mound. I have no idea what I’m doing. I’m just trying to make a subtle break(s). I used a hand tamper to pack the mound. Soaked it well too. Going to continue to water the area and sculpt the mound over the next few days as I wait for the guy to show up to help me install the turf. I’ll keep u all posted and I’m going to compile a cost list to see just how much this cost me. I’ve lost track9BF4AD9A-0CBB-4299-B7A0-1FF387515ABC.jpeg81614975-B7B8-4B1C-BA31-355890273336.jpegD601A63E-6720-4DD2-987B-5A726B47A11E.jpegED1BA5E6-B858-4133-AE61-C1B3455D61D6.jpegB991D8E1-9423-4762-A2D3-450E1B3F16C1.jpegBD7551CD-A250-429A-9846-78A25BAB43A0.jpeg

A well needed slow day yesterday. I just wet the surface a lot and added about 2 wheelbarrows of DG to make a small mound. I have no idea what I’m doing. I’m just trying to make a subtle break(s). I used a hand tamper to pack the mound. Soaked it well too. Going to continue to water the area and sculpt the mound over the next few days as I wait for the guy to show up to help me install the turf. I’ll keep u all posted and I’m going to compile a cost list to see just how much this cost me. I’ve lost trackView attachment 8958469View attachment 8958470View attachment 8958471View attachment 8958472View attachment 8958473View attachment 8958474
That is going to be one heck of a backyard! Good call on adding some breaks with DG.

This is going to look amazing!

Now you’ve got me contemplating ripping my lawn out and making something like this.
You and me both!! I've already said something to the Wife about it. She didn't shoot me down so I'm holding out hope. :p

This is a great follow for sure. You are really putting in the work. Very impressive.

This is super legit. What percentage in cost do you think you saved by doing most of it yourself?

You and me both!! I've already said something to the Wife about it. She didn't shoot me down so I'm holding out hope. :p

This is a great follow for sure. You are really putting in the work. Very impressive.
Means we don’t have to water or pay the Gardner. Sounds like a bargain to me. ;)

That's really turning out awesome, it's great watching it take shape. You're going to get years of enjoyment out of that putting green!

Great thread here , thanks. Impressive work done by the OP for sure.
On a (somewhat) related subject I happened to be in a major chain golf retailer store when the shop's putting green was being redone. So, I saw the work of preparing the surface before laying down the synthetic turf finish layer, including funnels to the various holes of the green. And that is how you sell putters. No lie.

Great work this is looking great, can't wait to see the finished product

This looks awesome. Was planning on doing something like this myself next spring. I think I need to fly you out to FL. Great job!

Although we had our green professionally installed, the prep of the area as to tree, shrub, root removal was all on us.

Obviously, the foundation is paramount and the foundation actually begins UNDER the soon to be applied stone.

Our company, supported by my own research, stated that it was hugely important to remove as many roots within the entire intended surface as possible.

It would take a while but if many are not removed, they will eventually decay and as you may imagine, compromise the integrity of the sub-base as there will be a lot of weight applied above. The residual affect would be eventual deformation upon the green's surface.

We already had an electric SunJoe tiller so I used that to expose as much as I reasonably could. Because my project space was within the edge of (formerly) light woods, there were LOTS of roots once removed.

Two years later, in the exact area I'd have suspected, I'm now addressing very minor sagging.

I couldn't get any heavy(ish) equipment back there and I just couldn't get all roots by hand in that one more dense spot. Forget hours... days into a couple of weeks just hacking away in that one area.

Keep in mind, our build had tons upon tons of stone and crushed stone applied. 22 tons to be exact! So the downward force is incredible.

Ours is not yet an issue. Every couple of months, usually more just to keep it running fast, I run the 300 lb lawn roller over the entire green in multiple directions, and we're good.

Just different from new as the slowly formed slight depression is what it is. Doesn't negatively affect putting, actually adds some new and appreciated break. I prefer how it is now, actually. But who knows what the future holds?

My long winded rant is to say, prep the *helloutta* the space and remove as many roots, big and small, as you possibly can.

Best of luck, cool/great project!
Dude, post some pictures of your project. Sounds amazing!

This is coming together nicely! You get every arm you can find and have it pat yourself on the back. Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Thanks for the support guys. I sculpted the mound more this afternoon. I think I’ve got it about where I want it. I decided on the dark olive over the emerald for the putting surface. Just personal preference. As far as price, I had one bid for $10,200 and that was after I cleared out the Rosemary brush, roots and hauled it away. So, that would have been another $1,500. My turf installer just texted. He and I are going to lay down the turf Wednesday morning!!!DBA730D5-3628-4126-B449-8F3B2993882B.jpeg3384C99B-B22B-4C42-B50D-800622A4C2C9.jpeg

How cool is that for summer recreation?!? Roll some putts, jump in the pool to cool off, roll some more putts.... :cool:

Back