My Club Champion Iron fitting experience

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I had my iron fitting a CC. Here is how it went down. Bear with me on the length of this post as I am trying to be as short as possible, but give enough details for those that are interested.

The fitter was working with another man and came and introduced himself and told me where the restroom was and where I could get coffee, drinks, snacks, or whatever they had free from the snack area and that he was running behind. I told him take his time as I was in no hurry. They had some reading material and seats there while waiting with a comfortable couch and some chairs in the waiting area.

About 10 minutes after my appointment time, he came and out called me back to the fitting bay. They had a nice chair in the fitting bay to sit in the change your shoes and be comfortable. He allowed me to explain my game a bit and I really liked it that being a high capper did not bother him at all. He explained the entire process to me, how he would conduct it, and told me the basic 3 options available. The first was basically OEM, the second was a middle option, and finally the extreme high-end option (big money for the "playas"). He explained the ins and outs of the OEM option from more of a tolerance prospective and why one might not choose that option.

He was very thorough with his explanation which I appreciated. He left nothing for me to really question. He told me to get my 9 iron out and hit a few balls until I felt like I was ready. I probably hit about 4-5 shots and that was it. He then said to get the 6 iron and we would start. I started off and struck better than I had anticipated and maybe it was because I practiced some during the week with only the 6 iron.

He asked if I had a certain brand that I preferred and I told him I was brand agnostic and wanted what was best for my game. I also told him at my age this isn’t a career move simply wanting the best feedback and the best I can do for my game. I mentioned up front I wanted something that would be good for the long haul and easy on my body.

After about maybe 6-8 hits we deleted a couple that were off a bit (bad strikes) then used the better averages to see where I was hitting. My current 6 iron only goes around 148 average (This is one of the main reasons I wanted to get fitted). We look at the numbers and my swing speed at 80 average which I thought was more mid-70s, but my ball speed, smash factor, etc, needed to be much better.

1581078321514.png

Now he proceeds to tell me how he will move forward and what we need to target to get the best for me. He told me we would use one iron head while we test shafts in order that the head remains the same so we can determine what shaft really works for me. I thought this was a great approach and gets you a good feeling shaft first. He never rushed me nor made me feel uncomfortable. He would also acknowledge my good shots and sometimes ask did I think a certain shot was good by feel before deleting.

After watching me hit my 6 iron and knowing I don't care about brand, he grabs a Callaway Mavrik Max for the head we will use and says we will use that one throughout for testing shafts. I think the first shaft he attached was around 60 or 70 grams and I hit with that. I made sure I did not focus on the shaft brands or club head brand. I think it was about 6 hits with about 2 deleted and I got maybe 5-6 yards, but he was not happy with the height and dispersion. He knew exactly which shots to delete simply by the sound and each time I agreed he was spot on.

He brought out a KBS Tour 50G (middle of the road shaft) and I hit that really well. It felt like an extension of my arm and like I was hardly swinging anything. We tested a steel shaft and it felt horrible to me and I had to swing it almost 3 MPH faster to get results that were not close enough. I also hit a steel wound graphite shaft, but not good enough.

We went on to hit about 4 more shafts and not one felt like the KBS Tour 50. I would have never guessed that would be the shaft for me, but I do like light weight shafts and this one had a feel that was nice to me. I would say with each setup I would hit about 5-6 hits unless it completely felt horrible, then about 3 hits tops and only more when we felt the data was off.

Next, we moved to iron heads. We tried Srixon, Callaway, and a number of other top brands with not one getting close enough to the Mavrik Max to consider. I gained about 10 yards consistently and much improved ball speed at about 3 mph faster and nice smash factor. I cannot tell you why, but seemed my subconscious really like the appearance of this setup when looking down and striking the ball. See the chart below. I was very happy with these numbers and the setup was perfect for me. For me to hit a 6 iron that well and to be consistent is truly a value add in my book. I don't know how this compares to others my age, but I think it is ok.

1581078349831.png

As far as Trackman data, I had to ask for whatever data I wanted and he emailed it to me right away. I was not really concerned much about all the various data from each club and shaft combos I tested, I primarily wanted the differential data from my current 6 iron and the combo that I hit best out of the lot.

Now for the crying part – the price. Of course, they will ask you about what you want as far as build and they will set it up in a billing format. In other words, do you want puring, grips, etc. I felt they were at high retail for almost everything on the bill. The more I have thought through this the more I think the price is simply too high, but judge by your own experience when deciding.

An example is the charge for the KBS shafts is much higher than you can buy them online and in some cases get them pured and setup in the same clubheads. I can build this set myself for a little over half of what CC charges. The thing is everything on the bill is at high retail price which just seems odd to me for a major club fitter. I would think they would get reasonable discounts, but maybe not. That is something I think CC needs to work on in their business model. I know a small time club fitter in the local area that doesn't charge the high retail prices, so that does make you think.

Here is another example to share. They charge about 14.00 per grip, I can almost put two on for that price and I cannot believe they are not buying grips bulk and getting a super good price on them. I would wager these are marked up about 75% or more. I asked him if they would sell them grip-less since I grip my own clubs and he said no problem at all.

So, you do have options, you just have to ask. They have great perks, but for me, I would not benefit except for the warranty piece. I don’t need the free 3 hour sim time and the other perks so I have to determine if the warranty alone is worth the difference.

I told the fitter up front that any purchase I would go home and take time to decide so he would know I was not going to buy irons that day or even if I would buy from them at all. I think it is important to let them know were you stand on purchasing from them.

It was my first CC fitting and it was a great experience and I highly recommend it, even for a high capper such as myself.

Hope this helps those of you going for a CC fitting.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Great write up @Luchnia . There was another thread this morning about someone who had a recent fitting and was quoted $2400 for a set he thought he could put together for about $1200. This didn't include "Puring", which you can do some research here on the forum about. If it were me, I'd take your spec sheet and contact Will here on the forum and see what he can do for you. You've paid for the fitting, so you don't really owe CC the business going forward. However, there was also another thread recently regarding someone who was potentially utilizing the CC guarantee on the set they built for him as he wasn't completely satisfied.

Congratulations on a fantastic write up and good luck with your new set whichever way you decide to go.

Here's a link to the post I mentioned- there's also information about the "Puring" there.. https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/club-champion-and-buying-clubs.8912712/

Great write up @Luchnia . There was another thread this morning about someone who had a recent fitting and was quoted $2400 for a set he thought he could put together for about $1200. This didn't include "Puring", which you can do some research here on the forum about. If it were me, I'd take your spec sheet and contact Will here on the forum and see what he can do for you. You've paid for the fitting, so you don't really owe CC the business going forward. However, there was also another thread recently regarding someone who was potentially utilizing the CC guarantee on the set they built for him as he wasn't completely satisfied.

Congratulations on a fantastic write up and good luck with your new set whichever way you decide to go.

Here's a link to the post I mentioned- there's also information about the "Puring" there.. https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/club-champion-and-buying-clubs.8912712/
Thanks for the kind words. I have looked at the other threads and gained much valuable info.

You are right too, $2400 was about the same price I was quoted and after some research I can do it for around 1200 with the same setup, which is probably the path I will take. One site even offered the puring option at a cheaper price. If I were an immaculate ball striker and pockets full of money, I would probably buy from CC because then I would be working daily on miniscule items, but for my weekend hacker game that level isn't needed.

Great write up! The general consensus is that CC is not cheap, but they do quality work and stand by their work, and they’re not terribly fussed if you choose not to buy from them.

Thanks for sharing. I just don’t understand why they want to gouge customers on the purchase. Wouldn’t it be better to make more sales?

@Luchnia Thanks for the post - I'd tell you to take the build sheet and e-mail them to either Will Peoples (He gives a THP discount - just mention it) or J.D. Clubs in MN.
I've had them both do builds and you'll be happy with your results.

Fantastic write up, appreciate your effort! I have heard their prices are pretty high before!!

Thanks for sharing. I just don’t understand why they want to gouge customers on the purchase. Wouldn’t it be better to make more sales?
This 1000%. I was in business for myself the better part of my adult life and for me more sales with great service almost always equated to long term repeat customers. For the last 10-12 years I work for someone else as I felt I was getting older and wanted away from the running business hassles. Customers would pass by other businesses to come back to deal with me as they knew I would work extra hard to get them the best deal I could, even if that meant that there were times when they could buy at my cost and I had no fear showing them my cost. I would even call other dealers while they listened to try to get them the best price. Most folks know we are in business and have to survive with the competition.

This is where I think CC misses it some. Take for instance had the price of clubs been closer to reasonable, I would have purchased from them and probably not even considered researching elsewhere. Think about it, most golfers will tell you CC is on the high side, so that alone says something. Now consider that I purchase somewhere else and really don't need anything else from CC, unless I decide to get fitted for something else which at the moment I don't need. That means they won't get the sale. It was primarily irons that I felt the most need to gather additional data and it appears I was right in that decision.

Awesome recap. And just a thought, but if I went with the KBS 50g, I would skip the puring. Your shaft labels may end up all over the place.

This 1000%. I was in business for myself the better part of my adult life and for me more sales with great service almost always equated to long term repeat customers. For the last 10-12 years I work for someone else as I felt I was getting older and wanted away from the running business hassles. Customers would pass by other businesses to come back to deal with me as they knew I would work extra hard to get them the best deal I could, even if that meant that there were times when they could buy at my cost and I had no fear showing them my cost. I would even call other dealers while they listened to try to get them the best price. Most folks know we are in business and have to survive with the competition.

This is where I think CC misses it some. Take for instance had the price of clubs been closer to reasonable, I would have purchased from them and probably not even considered researching elsewhere. Think about it, most golfers will tell you CC is on the high side, so that alone says something. Now consider that I purchase somewhere else and really don't need anything else from CC, unless I decide to get fitted for something else which at the moment I don't need. That means they won't get the sale. It was primarily irons that I felt the most need to gather additional data and it appears I was right in that decision.
We have similar history. I was self employed for 12 years. I always felt better prices and service equals more customers and repeat customers. During the last recession I never saw my numbers change. I just don’t understand that business plan. I’d rather make a sale at 15% profit then no sale at all. That said I’m sure even at fair prices their margin in more then 15 and closer to 30% or better.

I believe when I had my fitting back in December last year that it was a great experience. I love the reshafted irons I'm using know. Still don't know about the driver. Getting the full bag fitting at CC was a smart move on my part. And that is saying something for me. :LOL:

Reading your account is getting me jazzed for my fitting later this month; thanks!

I spent a pretty penny at club champion. A few months later, I wondered if I overpaid... a few weeks ago, my driver shaft from CC snapped with shipsticks. I emailed the fitter and told him I’m getting $x back in insurance, and would want to spend about that or less on a new shaft. He asked if I could go up $20 or so because then with the current deals he can build me a new driver With a new head (my current driver is a titelist 913. Old but not outdated completely). Obviously I said yes.

We exchanged some more emails, and since I’m taking lessons my swing has changed a bit so my new miss is fat (prior to lessons I never missed a shot fat. Always thin). He said he can make my clubs lighter no problem. Apparently they added two grams of weight during the fitting when I bought the clubs and he said that’s easy to undo no problem (they put tungsten? in the glue that holds the head on, and he just needs to Reglue it without tungsten or something).

He put an extra shaft that he had into my 913 at no charge. Tomorrow I drop off the clubs and get fit for a new driver. Outside of the cost of the club, no charges. Not even for the extra shaft he put into my 913.

I now don’t think I overpaid because the level of service extends way past the day you bought it.

Sounds like a great experience. I think most of the fitters know that you may not purchase from them right away. I think they are also probably used to a customers sticker shock. I know I had sticker shock when I had a driver fitting this past fall and they quoted $1100 for a Taylormade M6 with Fujikura Ventus shaft.

Great write up and glad you found something you feel really comfortable with. Sounds like it would be a great setup for your game.

Great write-up Luchnia. Hopefully you can get those clubs closer to the $1200 range. How much $$$ was the fitting? It sounds like that was worth the price, whatever it was.

I actually feel bad about not buying from CC, the fitter was great and gave me his time and expertise which was why I went in to start with to find the right shaft for my irons.
But in the end he wanted to sell me a clubhead that is still current but at the end of its 2 year release for the same money I bought new 2020 JDM clubs with the same shafts for the same price. Once he locked in on that head he pretty much said we are done which was odd as I was asking about other more expensive heads but he was pretty set on it.

The whole concept is great but they need to more realistic about their pricing, if he had been even a bit flexible I most likely would have ordered the clubs right then that he suggested. But even after I showed him that he had double charged for sales tax on the invoice he said it was the program and he could not change the totals, wtf?.

I am a Salesman and the 1st rule I learned was to work with the customer if you want the sale, being just flat out locked in and stubborn will cost you most of the time imo.

Great write up, very in depth!

Great write-up Luchnia. Hopefully you can get those clubs closer to the $1200 range. How much $$$ was the fitting? It sounds like that was worth the price, whatever it was.
They had a 33% off sale and it cost 100.00 for irons. I think it is normally 150.00 which I was ok with paying for an hour and a half. They do have some nice and expesive equipment with an extremely extensive collection of shafts and heads. They can even do some club work right on site too.

They have cancellations every now and then. They had one right after me. I was thinking a person could call and ask if they could get a fitting cheaper if you filled a cancellation. I doubt it though, they have a fairly set routine there, but sometimes it is worth asking.

They had a 33% off sale and it cost 100.00 for irons. I think it is normally 150.00 which I was ok with paying for an hour and a half. They do have some nice and expesive equipment with an extremely extensive collection of shafts and heads. They can even do some club work right on site too.

They have cancellations every now and then. They had one right after me. I was thinking a person could call and ask if they could get a fitting cheaper if you filled a cancellation. I doubt it though, they have a fairly set routine there, but sometimes it is worth asking.
CC offers 1/2 off fitting for Veterans, fyi.

Fantastic read, @Luchnia!

I had no idea they had pre-set structures in place to encourage various levels of cost. That's really smart as far as I am concerned. I'll agree that the prices I've seen are a tough pill to swallow, and would love to see them find ways to bring it down to earth a bit. Not an easy task, but maybe as they grow, it becomes a more realistic option - Just thinking about the amount of stock they'd have to have at their building center, considering what is on the wall, makes me sweat!

Either way, what matters most to me is the experience, and it sounds like you had a great one. Well done!

Back