My Custom Carbon Putter Experience

TheLutesMamba

Reaction score
Handicap
So back in August I was in Denver for a bachelor Party and decided I had to make a stop into the Carbon Putters shop. I’ve always been intrigued by them but never had the chance to try them out and figured there’d be no better place to try them than the actual workshop.

I messaged them on Instagram to set up a time for me to come in and they responded quickly. I dealt with Dan, who is one of the son’s that runs the company with their mother. He even agreed to come into the shop early since I had a flight to catch later that day. Very nice individual.

In the shop, they had tons of putters to try out. Different shapes, necks, etc. Some German Stainless steel, others carbon steel. I putted around for 15-20 minutes on my own to get a feel for the different styles and then we did a putter fitting. I can’t remember the name of the software he used but it included video capturing technology that analyzed all kinds of data. Seemed like pretty legit technology.

After trying out the putters and doing the fitting, I was ready to commit to a custom order. Dan went through every little detail right there in the shop designing my putter. I ended up on their new 330 gram Newport 2 style head in German stainless steel that has a bit sharper edges than their old version. However, I wanted something heavier so he agreed to design a heavier version of the same head shape for me. He said it would take a bit longer for the order for that but wasn’t a big deal.

Additionally, I was able to order a KBS CT Tour putter shaft and mailed it out to them for them to install with the final product.

The putter can be seen below. I went with the bullet in the heel and the vertical Ringo Proto engraving on the face due to the prototype heavier version of their 2020 line. I kept the rest clean and classy. I went with a flat milling on the face because I liked the clickier sound. I’m an audible guy and I have so much better distance control when I can hear the pitch of the click. It’s essentially the same stamping everywhere else that they used for Martin Laird’s putters. Dan’s brother played college golf with Laird so they’ve been working on all sorts of things for him.

Lastly, the performance. I received the putter a few weeks ago. It was right in the 8-10 week time frame he gave me since he had to design the heavier build. I must say this might be my favorite putter of all time. I’ve been rolling it inside and absolutely love everything about it. The feel is 100% what I was looking for. The design is stunning in my eyes. It putts such a good roll on the ball. I have numerous Scotty’s, Toulon, Odyssey, Taylormade, you name it and I cannot put this putter down. Finally today I was able to take it out to the country club and see how it rolls on an actual putting green. It was the best putting session I’ve had of the year. Just unbelievable distance control and rolled in so many lengthy putts. Cannot wait to see if it can take some strokes off my game moving forward.

In all, it was a very positive experience and if you’re ever in the Denver area, reach out to Carbon Putters and check them out!

7C702C3B-85BB-4FF0-AFD7-D171F642B77B.jpeg
E92B555C-CDE8-4E8F-8B07-6EFE74475BD5.jpeg
CE220BBC-745C-4511-9A92-2CBC69F0163E.jpeg
image.jpg
E4C651E2-301E-4C6E-A971-1625A0501193.jpeg

So back in August I was in Denver for a bachelor Party and decided I had to make a stop into the Carbon Putters shop. I’ve always been intrigued by them but never had the chance to try them out and figured there’d be no better place to try them than the actual workshop.

I messaged them on Instagram to set up a time for me to come in and they responded quickly. I dealt with Dan, who is one of the son’s that runs the company with their mother. He even agreed to come into the shop early since I had a flight to catch later that day. Very nice individual.

In the shop, they had tons of putters to try out. Different shapes, necks, etc. Some German Stainless steel, others carbon steel. I putted around for 15-20 minutes on my own to get a feel for the different styles and then we did a putter fitting. I can’t remember the name of the software he used but it included video capturing technology that analyzed all kinds of data. Seemed like pretty legit technology.

After trying out the putters and doing the fitting, I was ready to commit to a custom order. Dan went through every little detail right there in the shop designing my putter. I ended up on their new 330 gram Newport 2 style head in German stainless steel that has a bit sharper edges than their old version. However, I wanted something heavier so he agreed to design a heavier version of the same head shape for me. He said it would take a bit longer for the order for that but wasn’t a big deal.

Additionally, I was able to order a KBS CT Tour putter shaft and mailed it out to them for them to install with the final product.

The putter can be seen below. I went with the bullet in the heel and the vertical Ringo Proto engraving on the face due to the prototype heavier version of their 2020 line. I kept the rest clean and classy. I went with a flat milling on the face because I liked the clickier sound. I’m an audible guy and I have so much better distance control when I can hear the pitch of the click. It’s essentially the same stamping everywhere else that they used for Martin Laird’s putters. Dan’s brother played college golf with Laird so they’ve been working on all sorts of things for him.

Lastly, the performance. I received the putter a few weeks ago. It was right in the 8-10 week time frame he gave me since he had to design the heavier build. I must say this might be my favorite putter of all time. I’ve been rolling it inside and absolutely love everything about it. The feel is 100% what I was looking for. The design is stunning in my eyes. It putts such a good roll on the ball. I have numerous Scotty’s, Toulon, Odyssey, Taylormade, you name it and I cannot put this putter down. Finally today I was able to take it out to the country club and see how it rolls on an actual putting green. It was the best putting session I’ve had of the year. Just unbelievable distance control and rolled in so many lengthy putts. Cannot wait to see if it can take some strokes off my game moving forward.

In all, it was a very positive experience and if you’re ever in the Denver area, reach out to Carbon Putters and check them out!

View attachment 8915375
View attachment 8915376
View attachment 8915377
View attachment 8915378
View attachment 8915379

Wow, that is one beautiful looking putter. Almost seems like it should be in a golf museum or someplace like that. Also love the cover. :eek:k:

That's a sweet looking putter! Thanks for sharing the fitting experience. I may have missed it but how long did the whole fitting process take? If I need a fitting for any club I have a feeling it should be my putter. It's the club I make the most shots with every round so it only makes sense that I am using something that not only looks good to me visually but also fit to my putting stroke.

That’s very cool dude. Enjoy that flatstick.

I like the clean design and the head cover is magnificent! I love hearing about custom putter fittings, they make the biggest impact on your game by far. I’m glad you had an awesome experience with Carbon Putters and thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I owned a carbon for a bit. I bought it off ebay and loved it. I just wanted a slightly different shape so I sold it. I have thought many times of getting another one.

Also, is that a new shape? I owned a ringo and the corners were much more rounded. Or is that just an option you have to ask for?

I love the headcover.

I like the simple, clean look. Thanks for sharing that!

Wow, that thing is beautiful! I'm super jealous. I've never had a proper enough fitting to make a full determination to which hang and weight I should be using. Definitely food for thought.

-Bishop

Very clean looking putter, I absolutely love that headcover too (just went on their site and saw they had it for sale so I’ll be snagging that as a stocking stuffer for myself haha).

Putter looks outstanding. Thanks for the write-up, I have not heard of them, but seems like they are worth a look

That is a great looking putter. Love the casing.

That's a sweet looking putter! Thanks for sharing the fitting experience. I may have missed it but how long did the whole fitting process take? If I need a fitting for any club I have a feeling it should be my putter. It's the club I make the most shots with every round so it only makes sense that I am using something that not only looks good to me visually but also fit to my putting stroke.

The fitting process at Carbon could’ve taken however long I needed. Id say mine took about 20-30 minutes but I’ve been fitted before and had an idea of what I was looking for. They said they’d spend as much time as needed so I could’ve gone through some more things if necessary. It was informative. I enjoyed it.

Also, is that a new shape? I owned a ringo and the corners were much more rounded. Or is that just an option you have to ask for?

This is indeed a new shape. At the time, this shape wasn’t available yet online. However, they just announced this shape as their 2020 Ringo model so it should be available online at some point over the next few months.

I appreciate all the responses and love for the putter! Makes me feel like I did a good job on my first fully custom putter haha hopefully many more to come but I have a feeling this will be in the bag for a while. And yeah the head cover is one of my favorite parts. It’s hard to beat and it’s a nice magnetic closure made by PRG so it’s legit.

So fresh. So clean. :cool:

I appreciate all the responses and love for the putter! Makes me feel like I did a good job on my first fully custom putter haha hopefully many more to come but I have a feeling this will be in the bag for a while. And yeah the head cover is one of my favorite parts. It’s hard to beat and it’s a nice magnetic closure made by PRG so it’s legit.

how tight is the cover? Do you think it’s large enough to fit a double wide blade?

i love the simple and clean design. Many times people go overboard with customizing. Keep it classy San Diego!!

She’s a beaut....hold onto her!

how tight is the cover? Do you think it’s large enough to fit a double wide blade?

I think it is large enough to fit a double wide blade. Unfortunately I don’t have a double wide blade to test it out for you. But I have some custom shop Scotty Cameron head covers for reference and there seems to be a bit more room in this than in the custom shop head covers. I hope that helps! It’s a pretty awesome cover.

Back