My Day of Driver Testing: R1, Stage 2, Amp Cell, XHot

I know how you feel. This is my first non-taylormade driver since 2001! They always just fit me best. I was excited to find something that works better than my game! Doesn't mean the TaylorMade offerings are bad, but it does tell me that Cobra has stepped their game up and something else finally fits my game!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Great depiction of the experience...great read! How crazy is that, I've fallen for the AMP and now I'm leaning towards never before seen TM driver....crazy game! May have the answer today...nervous...lol

Great story. Very well written. By the end I couldn't wait to find out what you selected. Very nice!!!

Jlukes, you were spot on with the AMP cell!! I set it to 11.5 and was absolutely obliterating it in the sim at Golf Town! Great sound and feel, not too tinny but certainly let's you know you made a good poke at it. I had the group of gentleman all getting fitted for the R1 watching me for 10 min pelting drives with an average carry of 260 and dead straight dispersion. This has become one of the top 2 contenders out of all the new drivers I have hit.
Thank you!!

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

Good info!!! I would never even think to try anything Cobra...but based on this posting I think I will!!!! My first real driver purchase was the Taylormade Superfast 2.0..problem was it was too fast where even the stock stiff shaft was still whip-like and I was hooking it severely right....I replaced the stock shaft with a heavier stiff shaft with less torque and added lead tape to the bottom of the driver head to add some staying power with weight. I've been hitting it straight for about 285-295 yard distance...but it still doesn't feel right. Maybe Cobra AMP cell could be the answer!!!!!

In the past I have been very anti-Cobra myself, but they really are coming out with some very high quality offerings as of late. They are absolutely worth a look.

Great write up jlukes. Never hit a Cobra, but it is definitely on my list now. Can I get your wife to coach mine?

I would have chose the same one as you based on my day yesterday. Was not a fan of either TM offerings, liked the XHot but not nearly as much as the FM. Hit it straight!

Man did I have a fantastic day at the range with my new blue bomber. Temps were in in the upper 20s with a 2 to 8 wind blowing at about 10 mph. The range balls were rocks, but I was still consistently carrying the ball 270 yards. That translates to over 295 yards of carry under better conditions. I have to say that it is one of the best sounding drivers I've heard in quite a few years. Just a pure smash sound (not obnoxious like some recent TMs) when a ball is flushed and plenty of audible feedback on misses.

I got optimal launch numbers at 10.5 degrees in the simulator last night and those numbers more than translated outdoors. When the weather warms up and I play a ball that compresses more, I may dial the loft down to 10,but I will have to see about that. I normally have played my stiff shafts with lofts anywhere between 8.5 and 9.5 degrees. The fact that I was able to dial up the loft to 10.5 degrees really speaks towards the quality of the stock Fujikara Fuel shaft. There is just such a beautiful balance in the shaft throughout the entire swing, allowing me to have a good feel for the head of the club every step of the way.

I cannot recommend this driver enough. I always viewed Cobra a step below the bigger boys like taylormade, Callaway, and ping, but it is clear with the Amp Cell that they have really stepped their game up to and maybe even past some of the big boys.

Congrats! This just shows the importance of trying your current driver against EVERYTHING else before making a purchase.

So today started like almost any other day; I woke up to my dog jumping on the bed and licking my face, I had a bowl of Lucky Charms, and I jumped on THP to read the latest and greatest since, well, about 9 hours prior.

I then remember that the TaylorMade launch was last night and decide that I will take my driver to Golf Galaxy to score some Lethals. I roll in around lunch time, hit some warm up shots, and then get on the monitor with my current driver, an RBZ with a C.kua 43x shaft. The results were typical: 111 swing speed, 280-285 carry.

I pick up the R1 and immediately notice it's quite heavier but still a very solid feeling club. I hit some very solid shots with a similar swing speed and get a ball that carries 287-292. Pretty solid increase, and the GG employee hands me a bag with 8 Lethals. Score!

There is hardly anyone else at the store, so I hit some more drives with the R1. Very solid club, good dispersion numbers on mis hits. I really was not a fan of the sound off of solid hits or toe/heel hits.

I look over and see a Stage 2 driver and figure I'd give it a whirl. Whoa. The driver was very light. Very easy to swing. 118 mph, 119 mph. I'm in awe. The ball launches off of the face. 300+ yards of carry. Two people have begun watching me launch shot after shot into the simulator stratosphere. What am I going to do? I'm not going to buy a new driver, am I? No, I can't. Especially without consulting the boss. So I take my balls and go home, in full blown ponder mode.

I jump on THP to relay my experience when a little devil (or perhaps angel) named ddec appears on my shoulder and reminds me of the laser show I put on with the Amp Cell at the Atlantic City van stop last fall. Oh boy, I couldn't possibly buy a different driver without hitting the Amp Cell again.

Fast forward to 4:39pm, my wife arrives home from work only to immediately notice the s--t eating grin on my face. "What do you want now?" she groaned. I figured at this point I had a better chance of asking for 3-some with Kate Upton than bringing up a new driver. However, I proceed to enter into full blown "Ralphie from A Christmas Story" mode as I ramble on my Golf Galaxy experience earlier that day. She brings up the fact that my birthday is in June and before I can get out the "yeah, but" she says 'I guess it could be an early birthday present.'

We then immediately set out back to the fut.... err... Golf Galaxy. On the way she brings up the fact that I should probably test all of the clubs and choose the best one. This is why I married her.

We get into the store and head over to monitor where I tell Dan, the store GM what I'm there to accomplish. He goes around and grabs me an XHot, Amp Cell and the Stage 2.

I start where I left off, the smoke show with the Stage 2 - 10.5 loft, stiff shaft. The club is so light that I was breaking the 120mph swing speed mark and seeing distances that I'd never imagined. 310 carry? Seriously? My one problem with the Stage 2 was the dispersion. Misses were high fades, big fades too. The shaft was just a bit too whippy where sometimes I felt the club head didn't square up in time and it caused the push fade.

The next club I was handed was the XHot - 9.5, stiff. I don't know it's because I've played a white driver for the past two years, but the first thing I noticed was I was having trouble squaring up the face due to the dark gray crown and black face; there just wasn't enough contrast for my liking. I also found the black alignment aid to blur into the dark gray crown too much as well. The club felt very solid through the swing, but I just didn't hit it well. Carry was similar to what I was seeing with the R1 earlier, but the dispersion was worse. Just not a good fit for me.

Lastly came the Amp Cell. It was a bit like finally getting to talk to that gorgeous girl you made small talk with at a party months ago but really didn't get a chance to know. I set the loft to 10.5 degrees and had the stiff shaft. The Cell was definitely the most balanced feeling of all the clubs. As I took some practice swings, this wave of confidence overtook me. I hit some balls and the results were just beautiful. Every. Single. Drive. I was only getting swing speeds of around 112-113, but the ball was consistently carrying 295-300. Dead straight. Every time. Wow

I picked up the Stage 2 again and let 'er rip. Swing speed jumps, distance up, but the accuracy just wasn't there. Back to the Amp Cell and it was as if the monitor was broken and just kept displaying the same thing over and over again. It was a great feeling.

After much deliberation with Dan and my wife, it was time to make a decision. While I hit the ball further with the Stage 2, I opted for the total package and am now the proud owner of a Cobra Amp Cell! My first full range session with it will be tomorrow morning and I will be sure to share my thoughts here!

View attachment 7483
View attachment 7484

Congrats on the new driver - loving the blue as well!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent write-up! I haven't tried the Amp, yet. I'm glad that it and the shaft give you that great distance and dispersion.

Another small thing I noticed is the ball marks seemed to wipe right off the face. It will be interesting to see if it remains like this as I use it more.

don't know why everything I post in other threads is ending up in here

I jump on THP to relay my experience when a little devil (or perhaps angel) named ddec appears on my shoulder and reminds me of the laser show I put on with the Amp Cell at the Atlantic City van stop last fall. Oh boy, I couldn't possibly buy a different driver without hitting the Amp Cell again.

I remember watching in amazement as you smoked that club at the AC outing last fall.

Congrats and enjoy. Should be lots of fun.

I remember watching in amazement as you smoked that club at the AC outing last fall.

Congrats and enjoy. Should be lots of fun.

It was just crazy hitting into that 25 mph wind and still having the ball carry like it did at the range that day. I would have been doing myself a disservice to not hit it again before potentially buying a different driver.

It was just crazy hitting into that 25 mph wind and still having the ball carry like it did at the range that day. I would have been doing myself a disservice to not hit it again before potentially buying a different driver.

Actually, if you had bought anything else I would have been stunned. :)

Have you had a chance to use it with real balls instead of range rocks?

Amp-tastic write up. Nice details and certainly sounds like you had fun.

Actually, if you had bought anything else I would have been stunned. :)

Have you had a chance to use it with real balls instead of range rocks?

Nope. I cannot WAIT to his some Rocketballz Urethane golf balls with it!

Great read, yeah the R1 wasn't too impressive to me other than the 360 yard bomb I hit with it (misread on the sim) The RBZ Stage 2 3 wood was just a launcher. Further off the deck than my driver is off the tee. Congrats on getting the Blue one, good choice. Great wife too

I will definitely be trying this driver soon!

Can somebody explain how the face angle does not change w/ loft adjustment? I know it has something to do with how they designed the sole, but was hoping someone could explain further...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome jlukes. this is a great story.
except for the purchasing part, that was supposed to be my day today but unfortunately lots of snow and crappy roads prohibited that.
maybe tomorrow, i hope. anyway, way to go on your purchase and those are some great numbers man!

awesome jlukes. this is a great story.
except for the purchasing part, that was supposed to be my day today but unfortunately lots of snow and crappy roads prohibited that.
maybe tomorrow, i hope. anyway, way to go on your purchase and those are some great numbers man!

Thanks! Hopefully the weather clears up and you can add to your arsenal

Thanks for the awesome write up. I've been hearing good things about that AMP Cell.

Back