My Fiance wants to buy me a putter as my wedding gift!

jlukes

Reaction score
Moved into our first home and have been planning a wedding (late April!) so I have been MIA on the forums after being a pretty active poster when I first joined last year.

My fiance mentioned getting me a "nice putter" for me as my wedding gift. Big investment, so I wanted to see what everyone who has used or uses one thought. I have demoed them in the stores and I really like the feel of the Studio Newport or Newport 2. I looked on the SC website and noticed the black studio's are coming out this April and they look absolutely gorgeous

I currently have a Taylor Made Rossa Daytona putter with the ACGI insert. I know the biggest difference between a Scotty putter and the TM I am currently playing is milled vs insert. Putter is definitely the most 'personal' club in the bag and some people putt better with a $25 putter than they do with a $350 putter. Just wanted to hear some first hand experience.

I am looking for a putter that gives me a bit better feel for how I strike my putts. Went from a mallet to a blade about 4 years ago. Now thinking of taking the next step and going from insert to milled

Don't hesitate to check out the Bettinardi's. I love mine. Rolls so nice and is absolutely gorgeous! Really easy to line up.

Feel is subjective. Go try them all and see what you like most.

Some like milled, some like insert, some like mallet, some like blade.
I am looking for a putter that gives me a bit better feel for how I strike my putts. Went from a mallet to a blade about 4 years ago. Now thinking of taking the next step and going from insert to milled

Some great Bettinardis were just added to Blind9Golf's website....click the banner above and check them out

At that price you are usually paying for the name, craftsmanship and materials, or a little of both. Expensive putters are nice and I have a couple. They can look great and are easy to fall in love with. That being said, the putter I gamed more than any other in the last year cost $50. Money doesn't equal putts in the hole, but having cool stuff is great.

At that amount, you could get just about anything - SC, Bettinardi, Seemore, TP Mills, Never Compromise etc. All of them are nice in their own way and you should be able to find something that stands out to your eye.

Last edited:
Price for me does not make a putter great. I fall into the group that putts well with a $25 putter. Putter's are very personal. Go with whatever gives you the most confidence regardless of price. I'm old school when it comes to golf stuff for the most part, so older putters work well for me. I would agree also with giving Bettinardi a serious look. Very well made putters made in the US. Great brand. I also think highly of the milled Ping's, but I found they did not make me any better, so I'm sticking to the old tried and true stuff for now.

In that situation, the Seemore line would be at the top of my list.

If I could afford it I'd say a nice SeeMore, bettinardi, or scotty. You're a lucky man, I could never get my wife to buy me golf stuff regardless.

I would look at Bettinardi.

Another vote for Bettinardi here. Good stuff. Great people. KCM

Boccieri makes amazing putters. If you have a PGA superstore in your area go there and check some out. The one here had over a hundred different putters available to test out

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I live in central NJ, so as far as I know GolfGalaxy, GolfSmith, and NewYorkGolf are the only 3 major stores around me. I absolutely want to putt with the club before committing to purchase, but I don't think these places carry anything like Bettinardi, Seemore, TP Mills, Never Compromise. There might be a few NC's, but it's mostly Scotty Cameron's and such.

EDIT: WOW! I just went to the
Bettinardi site and they have the Princeton NY Golf Center listed as one of their dealers. That is like 15 minutes from my house. I will definitely be stopping by there!

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I live in central NJ, so as far as I know GolfGalaxy, GolfSmith, and NewYorkGolf are the only 3 major stores around me. I absolutely want to putt with the club before committing to purchase, but I don't think these places carry anything like Bettinardi, Seemore, TP Mills, Never Compromise. There might be a few NC's, but it's mostly Scotty Cameron's and such.

Golfsmith carries SeeMore. I live in Northern NJ and they have a few different models there in RH.

As far as you insert vs milled issue. I think you can putt just as well with either. My first 'real' putter was an insert, so that's what I preferred for a long time. Then I got some milled putters, got used to them, and now I like them just as much. Variety is always fun.

I think the Bettinardi offers an unmatched feel for a putter period. I'd first try them lol. The studio stock is unlike anything I've ever used. Scotty's are ok and while feel is subjective, they arent in the same arena as a bettinardi.

Also another putter that doesnt get much play but performs really well is the Nike Method (non insert line). The Seemores are great too.

Aw, great idea. I might show the wife-to-be this thread. But, then I might feel guilty when I inevitably snap the putter over my knee. hmm.

I'd try out the Bettis, and let us know what you think!

Whatever you get make sure you get the correct Lie putter....The stores in my area only carry standard and i need 2 degrees flat.

Had to order, but I got fit and ended up with a PING ANSER 4 MILLED.

It's about personal preference though.

Surprised no ones mentioned the Odyssey ProType line yet. They're pricey, but boy do the roll nice. At least worth a shot.

hey if she's buying, hit her up for a scotty!

don't think you could go wrong with any of the aforementioned...
it's all about what you like and what fits your game the best though. mightswell get fit for one and make it official.

also, she's definitely a keeper!

Skimmed. I'm the first to say clubs are tools not jewels. But, for this one I call it a jewel. Hit one of the boutique putter makers and go to town with a custom. Have something memorable stamped on it as well.

I think the Bettinardi offers an unmatched feel for a putter period. I'd first try them lol. The studio stock is unlike anything I've ever used. Scotty's are ok and while feel is subjective, they arent in the same arena as a bettinardi.

Also another putter that doesnt get much play but performs really well is the Nike Method (non insert line). The Seemores are great too.

I have only rolled SC putters since starting to play almost 15 years ago. I haven't ever touched a Betty, with that being said, I dont get what you mean Yoccos. Scotty's are not in the same arena? How do you mean?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim furyk won the FedEx with a $39 putter. Good and sound don't have to equate to expensive.

Congrats on the gift and I hope you have a great time looking for the right putter for you.

Back