My first hit of a balata

Another lasting memory of the time was sitting on the floor by the Titleist display opening every box looking for the 5,6,7,8 box.

ha - quoted for truth! I also remember the internal debate between 80, 90, and 100 comp balls. My ego said 100, my swing said 80, so I usually compromised with 90 :ROFLMAO:

And another thing- who else has a couple of Ball roundness checker things in a junk drawer?

I played these when I first played golf... Maxfli Green Dots - 90 Compression for 10 yds more. At least that's what the ad said.

1618708840398.png

They were like $12/doz. And if you thinned one they were done for with a smile. :)

So then a neighbor enlightened me to these. The world's first solid core golf ball. The Spalding Unicore. Gone were my days of playing a balata for less than one hole. I could play these bad boys for an entire round. And they went further than the balatas, too! They were 75 compression, but still they you had to make good contact otherwise they'd spin their way into the woods. They weren't like today's solid core balls. They were frowned upon by better players. But those of us who didn't have a lot of money swore by them.

1618710389182.png

I remember an important match in my league many years ago. In the pro shop I bought a sleeve of Tour Balata. Went to the first tee and promptly jacked all three OB left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back