My 'first' offical GHIN: Should I use ESC or not ?

Khaot1c

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 24.0
Up until now, I've been using the Handicap index that Skygolf provides when I upload my scores. But of course, local courses won't take that when I want to play in the events that require an established GHIN. So, I decided to go the offical GHIN route this year. It's also incentive to play more often.

My real question is; should I use ESC this early? The only thing I can base my ESC off of is the 'unofficial' GHIN handicap index established by Skygolf. Granted, at this point its not going to hurt or help A LOT. Of the 3 complete 18-hole rounds I've entered I think there are a total of 3 holes (one per round - sound familiar) that would have been capped by ESC and probably only 4 or 5 strokes total...

Thoughts?

I'm not 100% on this. But, at the beginning, you should turn is gross scores. Once your hdcp is established you will know what ESC rules to follow.

I'm not 100% on this. But, at the beginning, you should turn is gross scores. Once your hdcp is established you will know what ESC rules to follow.

This is good advice, it won't take long to get an official index (at least five rounds in a period) then just follow the guidelines.

Can you not enter hole by hole scores and have it calculate it automatically?

I know for RCGA handicap tracking there's that option. Not sure how GHIN works

Can you not enter hole by hole scores and have it calculate it automatically?
Not for me anyways.

Just enter your gross until you get an official GHIN handicap. then you make the adjustment to the score your going to enter... for me I cant take anything over a 7

I think you almost have to use ESC when you use the GHIN system. It keeps people from being E thru 17 and then taking a 15 on a hole to bring their round from 74 (no worse than double on the card) to 83+ and fudging their handicap. What I mean by have to, is that it'll correct your score for you if you don't. Then again, it's been a few years since I've had a GHIN handicap so I can't quite remember if it does it for you or not hehe

But if ya never had a "official" handicap, you wont be able to post a "proper" esc score until you establish a handicap..and most states dont publish till the 1st & 15th of the month

Sent from my DROID X2

But if ya never had a "official" handicap, you wont be able to post a "proper" esc score until you establish a handicap..and most states dont publish till the 1st & 15th of the month

Good call. There is a WHOLE lot of meaning behind that word "official" that I was unaware of. Here's the fine print from ClubSG about their provided Handicap.

Why ClubSG Handicaps Are Not Official

How ClubSG Handicaps Differ From Official USGA Handicaps

ClubSG provides each user with an estimated handicap index based on the USGA handicapping system, however we DO NOT provide an official USGA Handicap Index. A ClubSG handicap cannot be used in USGA sanctioned tournaments or events and should be considered strictly for recreational and informational purposes.

Though we use the USGA system, there are a few key areas where our calculations differ from theirs. These differences are outlined below:

5 Score Minimum
The USGA requires a minimum of 5 scores to be entered before providing any handicap index. Based on the demand for instant gratification by our members we display a handicap index after a single score is posted to ClubSG. We do however take into consideration the 5 score limit when making ESC adjustments and other calculations throughout the system.

Revision Dates
ClubSG uses what the USGA defines as a "Trend Handicap", because it is adjusted with the posting of each score. An official handicap is reviewed by a Handicap Committee and revised at predetermined dates. These revision dates are determined by local association rules and thus ClubSG cannot enforce a nationwide schedule nor do we review all scores.

Golf Club Membership
The USGA requires that official handicap indexes are issued by a conforming Golf Club. Conforming golf clubs require that all members live within a 50 miles of the club's principal location. Each club must also have a set of bylaws and a handicapping committee responsible for the club, its members and its rules. The head of the golf club must also attend a USGA Handicapping Seminar.

Peer Review
Official Handicap indexes require that members of the club have "reasonable and regular opportunity to play together". This includes the ability of a handicapping committee to review all scores, members playing at least 3 scores with other members, members playing in at least 1 club-sponsored events per year. It also requires all members to provide the club with proof of identification.

Back