My Fitting, my numbers, my confusion...

bajapalm

it seems so simple..
Reaction score
Handicap
Everyone here convinced me to get my first ever fitting. I was super excited and selected to start with the driver.
I currently play an R7 draw with a stiff shaft that I picked off the shelf as part of my first ever non hand me down set.
I am now playing multiple times per week for the first time ever and wondered if my driver and I matched up well. I knew that my flight was low and I tend to miss or hit well and not really know the cause.
He had me hit my club then 4 others

Here is a look at my averages
ok can't figure out how to load pdf so I took a pic..
what I don't know is if I just need to work on my swing a bit more or would a new club actually help - R11s seemed the highest but not really sure if I like it or not?? Any thoughts?? Thanks everyone!!
#'s are club mph - ball mph - --------launch - ---------spin ----- - bend ------ landing --------carry -------total
IMAG0776.jpg

In all the fittings I've been through they wanted me spin numbers much less than those, but I'm certainly not an expert so don't know the difference. With that club head speed my guess would be with a little swing help you could get that carry number up quite a bit.

I'd switch to a Regular flex.

Actually I think with that low of a launch, you want more spin to help get the ball up. Definitely the launch angle is low if Im reading it right. Id definitely look into different shafts.

That Callaway would be a winner if the launch angle wasn't 4 degrees lower than the R11S. You're swinging that faster and with a few more mph of ball speed. Unfortunately, you're launching it at about knee height. I'd see if they had another shaft that was a little higher launching, or maybe even a 12-13 degree head.

Actually I think with that low of a launch, you want more spin to help get the ball up. Definitely the launch angle is low if Im reading it right. Id definitely look into different shafts.

I agree. Don't know a whole lot, but my Buddy (who is a Taylormade fitter) told me that the ideal launch angle should be between 12* and 13.5* depending on your spin rate, which I believe they generally try to get below 3500? (someone else may have a better or more precise number).

Edit: Just saw the chart, so there ya go.

Those are already mid to mid/high trajectory shafts and you're still getting launch angles that are pretty low. A regular flex might produce better numbers.

Don't feel less "manly" or "macho" because you need a Regular Flex.
I did at first when i switched over to regular but I was hitting it longer with good trajectory than when I had a stiff flex.

I agree with the others, looks like a regular flex is the place to start.

Don't feel less "manly" or "macho" because you need a Regular Flex.
I did at first when i switched over to regular but I was hitting it longer with good trajectory than when I had a stiff flex.

I'm the same boat, my driver was fit for stiff, but my irons were at that in between reg and stiff. It's a tough pill to swallow but I'm sure the results will speak for themselves.

Thanks for the input.. I made no mention of any preference of shaft at any time - he had me hit my 7 iron a few times then my R7 and on to the next four clubs- I could care less if it's granny flex or any of that I told him my priority was to just hit straight - of course long is ok but I want that after I achieve straight.
On the Chart called "Pingnflight there is a graph showing the optimum trajectory (side view) and also one that showed my shot dispersion.
It listed 13.0 - 15.0, 2250-2750 rpm - these I think he said were my ideal #s
The shot dispersion was kinda cool it shows circles around each clubs balls in different colors - R11 is pretty darn small, then Cobra & Razr are a bit bigger then my R7 and D2 biggest of all - can post pix if needed (can't figure out how to post a pdf graph?)
So now what do I go back to him and say "hey why not regular shaft?" even though I am a newb compared to him or?????? I really want a driver but want it to be an improvement - My R7 had lowest spin?? :bulgy-eyes:

Here is the shot graph - small blue circle is R11
IMAG0777.jpg

He didn't swap any shafts in and out of the heads you were hitting? Did he basically just hand you stock offers and have you hit them?

If that is the case, which it might not be, just judging by the chart you posted. That's not really a very good fitting at all.

Correct - he adjusted the heads closed or whatever but with each driver I only hit one shaft - I think they were all stiff

here is the other chart showing the numbers
IMAG0778.jpg

Seems like the R11s head might be a good place to start, but the fact that he did not swap out any shafts is an issue. With those numbers, it appears to be mostly a shaft issue.

I'm still a little mind boggled that he didn't swap out any shafts at all.

Yes I wish I had known better - this was my first ever fitting and I do not know if there were more than variable with the shafts (reg, stiff etc)
This is supposedly the best place in town - Stadium Golf "Award winning fitters"
Maybe I send the guy and e-mail??

Oh it's defiantly not your fault at all. I may be completely wrong, but almost seems as though he didn't really fit you and I would maybe email him or the place and just ask about shafts and see their response. Nothing wrong with sending a concerned email.

Correct - he adjusted the heads closed or whatever but with each driver I only hit one shaft - I think they were all stiff

here is the other chart showing the numbers

What's the 300ft thing? Do you live at 300ft elevation or so? Also, that simulator was set up to give you a hard running ball at landing. Unless you live in conditions that promote that, that's kinda shady to give someone 40yds of roll if they live in Florida for example

He didn't swap any shafts in and out of the heads you were hitting? Did he basically just hand you stock offers and have you hit them?

If that is the case, which it might not be, just judging by the chart you posted. That's not really a very good fitting at all.

Yeah I agree with Ghost, most fitters will have you try different flex. And the fact that he saw your low trajectory and didn't recommend a different flex seems lazy or don't care.

GG - that's what I am thinking not quite sure about my wording - maybe I am really interested in x but can we try some different shafts?? I don't even know where else I could go and don't want to go to the "stores"
mward - 300ft sounds about right I am in San Diego and this was near our football stadium area "Stadium Golf" haha
The range area was outside the balls were in good shape but nothing special - I guess hard referred to the driving range?

just say, my trajectory seems a little low. Can we try a different flex but the same clubs and compare in the end? If they don't have the ability, then you gotta go somewhere else.

I think you can approach this in a non offensive way. "I am interested in buying clubs but I'm not happy with the results I saw during the demo. Let's try again, hitting (insert favorites) but with different shafts to improve the numbers."

and I wouldn't worry about offending the guy. This is his job. If their reputation is that high then he should've done a better job. Sometimes when I go get clubs fitted, I get mis-treated because I don't know as much. Some are just arrogant and think they can get away with giving away minimum information and help.
This is going to be YOUR club. You're the one that has to hit it every round. You aren't obviously 100% satisfied with that initial fitting, hence this thread. I'd keep trying withi this guy until you're happy.

I also just did my first driver fitting and he changed me from stiff shafts to regular and my numbers got better. For me it is a sure sign of getting older. I ended up going to the R11 model from last year. Almost the same club head as the R11S but not as many adjustments. I love the driver and feel the hour and a half I spent hitting all kinds of drivers and shafts is the reason. I would highly recommend the R11, my first round with the new driver I only missed 2 fairways and hit driver on every hole except the par 3's and some holes in the past that I would hit 3 wood or hybrid. Both fairways I missed was due to me really trying to drive the ball too far. Start out with all the adjustments neuteral on the R11 and work from there.

I also just did my first driver fitting and he changed me from stiff shafts to regular and my numbers got better. For me it is a sure sign of getting older. I ended up going to the R11 model from last year. Almost the same club head as the R11S but not as many adjustments. I love the driver and feel the hour and a half I spent hitting all kinds of drivers and shafts is the reason. I would highly recommend the R11, my first round with the new driver I only missed 2 fairways and hit driver on every hole except the par 3's and some holes in the past that I would hit 3 wood or hybrid. Both fairways I missed was due to me really trying to drive the ball too far. Start out with all the adjustments neuteral on the R11 and work from there.

R11 could be wrong for him though.
I can say the opposite. I had a R11 fitted. Too many confusions with all the adjustments even when I had it fitted.
Not that I'm shutting down the R11 idea, but I'm just saying it recommendations can only go so far.
Hell, you might even stay with your R7 but with the "proper" shaft, it can increase the performance by a lot!
Although, R11 has no problem getting it up in the air which is what you just need. You might like it. I dunno...

Back