My Golf Journey in 2021 - Can I get to Scratch?

I figure it’s time for an update. Here are some areas of focus:

1. I bought a much better and longer indoor putting mat. I am focused, not on whether I am making the putt, but on my take away, keeping my head still, ball position and tempo. I have committed to a wide body blade-style putter for 2021 and, absent something really going wrong with my putting, I intend to stick with this profile.

2. I have been doing regular yoga. I am getting ready to launch some strength training to see if I can get my top end driver ball speed into the mid 150’s from around 150.

I got down south to Mesquite, NV for a round at Wolf Creek last Friday and played pretty poorly. Nothing was really clicking, but it was the first time I had played real golf in a month and a half. I shot an 83. Even though Wolf Creek is a crazy unique, difficult course, I had shot a 75 there back in Mid-November, so there was a lot of rust in my game.

I played today and shot even par 72. Even though the temp was low 40’s, my feel was much better, particularly my wedge game.

Tomorrow, I am going into Club Champion for an iron fitting, just to make sure I am really maximizing my potential.
Way to put in the work, man. Love the one putter and the idea of going for an iron fitting to double check the approach/plan there before the weather warms and things really get going. Heck of a round for second time out, too. Shook that rust off in a hurry!

I have been working on a significant swing change, primarily standing a little taller in my stance. My swing coach thinks it will help me turn and avoid early extension. Right now, It is causing me to feel like I am reaching a little, but it is coming.

I shot a couple good rounds over the weekend and tomorrow, my index will be down to 2, the lowest it has ever been.

Last edited:
I have been working on a significant swing change, primarily standing a little taller in my stance. My swing coach thinks it will help me turn and avoid early extension. Right now, It is causing me to feel like I am reaching a little, but it is coming.

I shot a couple good rounds over the weekend and tomorrow, my index will be down to 2, the lowest it has ever been.
Sounds like it is all coming together, great news on the HC.
Keep up the hard work (y)

Keep it going. Great goal and best of luck getting there. Sounds like you will put in the work needed, so I would bet you get there.

Next month I turn 60. I came to this game late in life. I started playing at 28 years of age, right when I was embarking upon my career, after finishing grad school. I never had time to practice much, but at my best, I got down to around a 5 index. Then from 2008 until 2016, I never picked up a club. When I began playing again four and a half years ago, I felt like I had no chance to play as well as I once did, given my age. However, much to my surprise, I am now playing better than I ever have.

This past year, I had overcome some back issues that had plagued me and much to my surprise, I was able to go from a 5.6 index to a 2.6. It got me thinking as to whether I could attain the goal that I once thought was fanciful, getting to scratch. I know that there is a huge difference between where I am now and getting to scratch. I see how every little mistake affects the score, particularly when I am not a bomber. However, I have poured over the statistics that it appears one must achieve to play scratch and I think it could be in reach.

So, I am going to see if this 60 year old can attain what seems unattainable. I am going to do it through increasing my strength and flexibility through the winter, shedding about 15 lbs., working on the swing flaws I have identified and then seeing where I am at with my game coming into Spring. I need major improvement with my putting.

Anyway, if anybody is interested, I am going to turn this thread into my log to track my progress. It will be a great motivator, because it will create accountability. So, here we go...
Wish you the best in attaining your goal. My goal every year is to break par more times than the previous year, last season was 3 times so this season the goal is 4. At 57, I realize that one of the best ways to maintain strength and flexibility is light weight training, yoga and some sort of speed training. I do each 2x a week with one day off at a minimum of 1 hour each day during the off season and 30 minutes post round during the season. If time limited, I think yoga does the most for me. 2 years ago at 55, my swing speed was about 97mph. Was on the GC quad yesterday during a lesson and was averaging about 107mph and a few times got to 111mph when got after it. Yoga, yoga, yoga and stretching, but bottom line is that have to do some type of training as we get older.

I've been thinking about standing a little taller too. Does that mean you're standing closer to the ball too? If I do that with my irons my lie angle would be off.

I've been thinking about standing a little taller too. Does that mean you're standing closer to the ball too? If I do that with my irons my lie angle would be off.
Yes, by necessity you would have to stand closer to the ball. Lie angles are not difficult to adjust with most sets.

Good luck, I will be trying to improve along with you, trying to get from 9.5 to 6 this year.

Well, the scoring starts in earnest. We begin reporting scores tomorrow locally.

I have been working on lag and swing arc during the winter. I have been working on flexibility and core strength. I also have been working a great deal on my putting stroke. I purchased a better indoor putting mat and think that I have learned some things about my recognizing where the club head is throughout my putting stroke and getting it squared up at the point of contact. I am very hopeful it is going to lead to more made putts.

Sounds like you put in the work and are ready to go. My money's on you having a big year. Good luck man. (y)

Very good thread to read. Good Luck Tenputt. I have a similar journey plus 10 or fifteen. Played a lot of golf young, did not play for 15 years or so as a single dad. Last 4 years or so started playing a lot. I am 54 and hope best golf years are to ahead.

Back