My golf season is over in 2 weeks

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.1
It's official, my golf season will be over in 2 weeks.

I saw the shoulder surgeon today and we've decided that October 5th is the day of surgery.
After careful review of the x-ray guided MRI of my left shoulder, it shows that I not only have 1 tear in the labrum, but 2 tears.
As well as the 2 tears in the labrum, I also have Subacromial Impingement. That means I have a hooked acromion that is rubbing on the bursa and tendon which causes inflammation, irritation and pain. To fix the labral tears, the doc will have to clean out the joint of torn cartilage drill some holes(3 to 6) in the bone of the socket to give him something to suture the labrum back into place. To fix the Impingement, he will in essence be grinding away at the underside of the Acromion bone to remove the hook that is causing the rubbing on the tendon and bursa.
The surgery will put me in a sling for 2-4 weeks, with physical therapy 3 times a week to start 2 weeks after surgery. He says he doesn't want me playing golf for 6 months! I will be able to chip and putt in 4-5 months, but must wait the full 6 months before taking full swings.
I am really bummed about this. I'm going to get in as much golf as possible in the next 2 weeks and then it's over.....:rain:

Wow man, but just think positively, everything will be great and my prayers go out to your direction! May you return a better stronger golfer! Get as much golf as you can man, we'll be here if you need moral support!

Sorry to hear that. But at least most of it will be during the winter months. I had knee surgery earlier this year so I know how you feel as far as being away from golf and going to PT 3 times a week. I thought PT was the best thing, not fun at all and extremely painful (more painful than the surgery/moments after) but knowing I was progressing was very comforting. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Man that sucks. Recently had to take a 6 month brake myself due to a back injury but am now feeling stronger than ever. Of course "the waiting is the hardest part"...stay positive and all the best for a speedy recovery (don't push yourself too hard though)!!!!

Sorry to hear about that DD, that's a bitter pill to swallow for sure. Hopefully you'll get all fixed up and you'll be playing drums and golf again in no time.

Stay positive my friend....you will be better than ever

Dog, I have no idea what you just said but it sounds pretty serious. If it's got to be done, it's got to be done, and hopefully you'll be back swinging harder than ever, without any pain.

You should move to Scotland for the winter, we're usually off the course for 6 months anyway! :D

Best wishes for a full and timely recovery Dd, enjoy your coming rounds and keep us posted on your progress.

Sorry to hear this, that is a long road to recovery. Hope everything goes as planned!

Stay positive Drumdog, best of luck in with the surgery and the rehab.

Surgery is not good to hear about DD especially when it will sideline you for so long from a game you Love.
From what you have written it looks like it needs to be done so have fun the next two weeks and make the best of your Golf time.
I hope you recover quickly and keep us informed with your process.

That's a bummer, but at least it's towards the end of the season so you won't miss too much. Plenty of time to be ready to go by spring!

So sorry to hear about your surgery. Follow your doctor's plan with the rehab. Maybe you can squeeze a rubber ball to keep your forearm muscles going. Best of luck! You'll come back stronger than ever next spring!

Sorry to hear that you have to go through that Drumdog. But think about swinging with no pain when its all over. Besides, with all the money you'll save on greens fees over the next six months, you can save up and join us in Orlando at the World's Greatest Outing in May.

That's some rotten news, DD. Hopefully you heal quick. Good luck with the surgery!

Drumdog, it stinks that you have to have the surgery, but if you put as much energy into your rehab as you do into your golf game now, you'll be better off in the long run. If you slack on the rehab, you could run into more issues down the road, so take the rehab seriously!

That sucks sorry about the surgery and good luck with the rehab. Just be positive and things will work out for the best. I know easier said than done

It's official, my golf season will be over in 2 weeks.

I saw the shoulder surgeon today and we've decided that October 5th is the day of surgery.
After careful review of the x-ray guided MRI of my left shoulder, it shows that I not only have 1 tear in the labrum, but 2 tears.
As well as the 2 tears in the labrum, I also have Subacromial Impingement. That means I have a hooked acromion that is rubbing on the bursa and tendon which causes inflammation, irritation and pain. To fix the labral tears, the doc will have to clean out the joint of torn cartilage drill some holes(3 to 6) in the bone of the socket to give him something to suture the labrum back into place. To fix the Impingement, he will in essence be grinding away at the underside of the Acromion bone to remove the hook that is causing the rubbing on the tendon and bursa.
The surgery will put me in a sling for 2-4 weeks, with physical therapy 3 times a week to start 2 weeks after surgery. He says he doesn't want me playing golf for 6 months! I will be able to chip and putt in 4-5 months, but must wait the full 6 months before taking full swings.
I am really bummed about this. I'm going to get in as much golf as possible in the next 2 weeks and then it's over.....:rain:

Drum, dude, I am so sorry to hear this, but it's great that you'll be getting this done and over with.

Bummer dude. Hope the healing goes well, and quickly.

I'm sorry to hear this man. I hope everything goes exactly as planned. Good luck.

Bummer. Here is to a speedy and full recovery.

Hang in there! I feel your pain. I had my knee and hand done last friday..Doc says I'm down for 4-6 weeks. I'm hoping to get a week in after that..

:drinks:

That blows man. If I were you I'd shut it down now. No reason to rip it up any more.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.
I know all about staying vigilant on the PT after all 5 of my knee surgeries, so you can bet I will not be slacking there.
The surgeon is one of the best in the country fixing shoulders and elbows, so I have a lot of confidence in this guy.

I am headed out the door to get the first 18 in today and then maybe another 18 later this afternoon.
The surgeon said that golf won't do any more damage to the shoulder, so I am going to get as many rounds in as possible before he cuts.

Thanks again for all the well wishes!

Back