My Golf Swing Journey

Well, I haven't stopped just yet. Shot a 94 New Years Eve and figured out a little change in my shoulder turn that has a very big impact.

I was dipping my left shoulder to the ground. Now I am rotating my shoulders around my spine. For some reason it has just clicked. I've heard the advice before but it didn't register until yesterday. Flight has straightened out and distance went up 1.5 clubs.

If my test results are accurate, I shouldn't be able to do the things I am doing. Going to keep exercising until I am told to stop. I think exercise is helping.

Played 36 today. 93 followed by a 92. Horrible off the tee but the 2nd or 3rd shot would be awesome and bail me out.

I need to quit playing and get back on the range and work on a few things. I am steadily improving and very happy about that.

I may have to start wearing a LifeVest next week, which is a defibrillator in a vest until they decide if I need an implanted defibrillator. The vest will slow me down a bit.

Forgot to add the best thing of all about these 2 rounds. 1 ball. Didn't lose any. I sure thought i'd lost it a few times but managed to find it every time. :D

Last edited:
Had a Cardiac MRI yesterday. Results should be sent to my cardiologist Thursday and I have a follow up with him in 2 weeks. I guess if it's really bad i'll hear back before the follow up.

I was told at my last visit to continue exercising so I will get back to hitting some balls.

Also picked up a really cheap set of Chinese Datang Dragon blades. This is my bad weather project. Want to learn some club building, so I will be reshafting these things and learning a bit.

The results were much worse than expected :(
Next step is an internal defibrillator. That should occur sometime in March. Have an upcoming appt to discuss details. I hope once it's installed in my chest I will still be able to swing a club.

On a brighter note....my swing is really good. I am a sweeper. I pick the golf ball off the surface. This means I hit the ball really really high but it also cuts way down on distance because my launch angle is so high. But I am hitting straighter and more consistent now. I really should work on hitting through the ball but with the upcoming procedure I am going to have to take break to heal and don't want to mess with things at the moment.

Me and a buddy who played HS golf but hasn't played since has recently taken up golf again. About 4.5 months ago when I did. I always though his swing speed was fast but didn't know how fast. Well we went to PGA Superstore and tried some clubs then went to the range and used my SC300 and man o man.

At pga he was hitting a Mizuno JPX921 Forged 7 iron 200 yards with 120-125mph ballspeed. He was hitting a Mavrik 3 Wood in the 150s. He tried for 160 but topped at 158. This store doesn't show clubhead speed.
With my 15 year old Cobra 33* 7 iron he was hitting 170's carry with 94-97mph clubhead speed on my SC300

Driver he touched 120 clubhead speed once.

He uses no lower body at all....shoulders, arms, and hands. He hits so much further than me but I hit it straighter. We shoot almost identical scores when playing together.

He has to slow his swing to get some accuracy so the distance gap isn't quite as big but is still pretty big. I hit my 7 iron all out at 150 yards but it is massively high.

At pga store we saw anywhere from 10 to 15 degrees more launch angle from me than he was hitting. My SC300 peak height numbers are not accurate as the ball gets too high too fast for it to calculate properly.

I am still happy with being a sweeper\picker for now as I am getting more consistent and comfortable. I've also managed to add a bit of distance on the course by upping swing speed.

Last edited:
Haven't touched a club in about a month. This sucks. Minimum of 2 months and another 6 weeks of recovery to go. MIght be even longer :(

Back