My good deed for the year (just paying it forward)

Knot Right

Reaction score
Went to the range this morning and saw my favorite WaWa store coffee counter lady there with her 14 year old son paying for a couple buckets. We speak every morning for a few minutes when I go in to get coffee. She's a single mom and works 2 jobs around 65 hours a week. My wife and I love her. She's always telling me how she wouldn't make it without all the help her son gives her around the house. Well, come to find out, she drops him off at the range every Saturday morning and runs errands while he hits golf balls. After chatting for 5 minutes or so, she was getting ready to leave so I asked her son if he wanted to hit balls together.

We go out to a couple empty stalls and begin hitting balls when I noticed that his clubs look a bit short for him. I look in his old vinyl bag and see he's got a set of Patty Berg irons and a old steel shafted Top Flite 3 wood. I didn't say anything and just watched him hit. He has a decent looking grip, swing, and was hitting everything pretty much straight. I finally asked him about his clubs and he told me that his mom got them at the thrift store. When I asked about his swing, he said that he watches YouTube and picks up tips from there. He then went into detail how he was doing a few lawns every week and running errands to save up for a better set and to chip in for their monthly internet. Then I asked him where he plays his golf, and he tells me that he has only played 9 holes on a real course. :oops:

The kid impressed me to no end. He is super polite and I could tell how much respect he has for his mom. Anyways, I asked his what time his mom usually comes to pick him up, and he told me around 1 o'clock. I said OK, and gave him the rest of my balls and I took off and went straight home.

I rounded up the Zing irons that I have been restoring and tinkering on all week, along with my old bag, a TaylorMade driver, Cobra hybrid, Hogan SW and threw 2 dozen ProV1's in the ball pocket.

On the way back to the range, I called a local pro who loves kids, and he said that he would throw in a couple lessons for a ceiling drywall patch job he's been after me to do.

Anyways, after haggling with his mom and getting her to agree to the gifting, the kid is hooked up and he can join me and my grandson when we go out.

Give Away Clubs.jpg

Brilliant gesture, well done (y)

Awesome story. I’m sure you made his year.

Great gesture! Can imagine how excited he is! 👊

Went to the range this morning and saw my favorite WaWa store coffee counter lady there with her 14 year old son paying for a couple buckets. We speak every morning for a few minutes when I go in to get coffee. She's a single mom and works 2 jobs around 65 hours a week. My wife and I love her. She's always telling me how she wouldn't make it without all the help her son gives her around the house. Well, come to find out, she drops him off at the range every Saturday morning and runs errands while he hits golf balls. After chatting for 5 minutes or so, she was getting ready to leave so I asked her son if he wanted to hit balls together.

We go out to a couple empty stalls and begin hitting balls when I noticed that his clubs look a bit short for him. I look in his old vinyl bag and see he's got a set of Patty Berg irons and a old steel shafted Top Flite 3 wood. I didn't say anything and just watched him hit. He has a decent looking grip, swing, and was hitting everything pretty much straight. I finally asked him about his clubs and he told me that his mom got them at the thrift store. When I asked about his swing, he said that he watches YouTube and picks up tips from there. He then went into detail how he was doing a few lawns every week and running errands to save up for a better set and to chip in for their monthly internet. Then I asked him where he plays his golf, and he tells me that he has only played 9 holes on a real course. :oops:

The kid impressed me to no end. He is super polite and I could tell how much respect he has for his mom. Anyways, I asked his what time his mom usually comes to pick him up, and he told me around 1 o'clock. I said OK, and gave him the rest of my balls and I took off and went straight home.

I rounded up the Zing irons that I have been restoring and tinkering on all week, along with my old bag, a TaylorMade driver, Cobra hybrid, Hogan SW and threw 2 dozen ProV1's in the ball pocket.

On the way back to the range, I called a local pro who loves kids, and he said that he would throw in a couple lessons for a ceiling drywall patch job he's been after me to do.

Anyways, after haggling with his mom and getting her to agree to the gifting, the kid is hooked up and he can join me and my grandson when we go out.

View attachment 8956970

this is how you grow the game! Well done!

I already did an applause gif today, so you'll have to just imagine me clapping. Awesome gesture. Love every bit of it. (y)

That’s fantastic! Way to share your passion for the game and make a young man’s day (year?) that much better.

(y)

Well played. Well played.

When I was in a better financial place I used to love to run contests on here that benefitted youth golfers.

I had more fun doing that (right @badolds ) then I ever had winning anything.

I already did an applause gif today, so you'll have to just imagine me clapping. Awesome gesture. Love every bit of it. (y)

I have the Sunday association blitz tomorrow, and realized I don't have a set of irons in the garage. :oops: I have been giving away or selling off some older stuff and have lost track..

My son is bringing by the Ping G15's I gave him a few years ago so I can tee off. :ROFLMAO:

Well done!

That’s pretty freaking cool man. Good on you, not only for giving him a little something to help out, but more importantly recognizing the work and good attitude he has. That’s more important, in my opinion.

View attachment 8956970

Thank you for sharing this! It made me smile and the room got real dusty!

That is awesome! LOL at losing track of iron sets

Very cool. World needs more of this!

That’s awesome @Knot Right. They young mans life has changed for the good. Love to hear about good kids.

The THP spirit was exemplified with that gesture. Well done @Knot Right

Is there a better feeling than paying it forward?

Back