My journey to consistently shoot 90's!

MD177

Reaction score
Handicap
GAM: 18.8
this year will be my 2nd full year of golf. I've dabbled with playing for a few years but never really got into it until recently. I've broken 90's before but played those on the white tee's and what I think are easier courses now. since joining my 1st league this season, I quickly found that playing on the Blue / Black tees at much harder courses to be a challenge. I've played 3 rounds so far and my scores are 112, 107, and 108. my handicap atm is 30.6. I still don't understand how they calculate handicaps but that's what I have right now. I'm hoping that by end of season, I'll consistently be shooting mid to high 90's with occasional low 90's or even high 80's. I try to play once a week and go to the range at least twice a week. I'm also going to try to see my PGA Pro at least every 4-6 weeks for improvement. anyway, any questions and suggestions welcome. Thanks.

I think it is great that you are working with a PGA teacher. That will help you more than anything right now. Not sure about what distance you are playing off the tee (colors alone mean nothing), but just choose a set that gives you some enjoyment. As far as handicap goes, you can do some reading on the USGA site to get a better understanding on the system.

Good luck this summer!

http://www.usga.org/Handicapping.aspx?id=7792

this year will be my 2nd full year of golf. I've dabbled with playing for a few years but never really got into it until recently. I've broken 90's before but played those on the white tee's and what I think are easier courses now. since joining my 1st league this season, I quickly found that playing on the Blue / Black tees at much harder courses to be a challenge. I've played 3 rounds so far and my scores are 112, 107, and 108. my handicap atm is 30.6. I still don't understand how they calculate handicaps but that's what I have right now. I'm hoping that by end of season, I'll consistently be shooting mid to high 90's with occasional low 90's or even high 80's. I try to play once a week and go to the range at least twice a week. I'm also going to try to see my PGA Pro at least every 4-6 weeks for improvement. anyway, any questions and suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Great move, I am interested to track your progress. Good luck!!

Great goal! I look forward to reading about it. Keep us posted on practice methods and your successes!

Thanks guys. sorry for the lack of info. if there's anything else you'd like to know, just ask. :)

as for Blue and Black tees... black are normally the farthest and for Sat league round, it'll be 6768 yards with (73.0/137) rating. blue tees are 2nd to the farthest. I played the same course yesterday on the blue tee's (as this was what my friend's wanted) and shot a 93. rating is (70.8/124). besides a few blow up holes, it was good. driving was the best I've had for a while and pitching was awesome as well. putting was shaky since I wasn't use to fast greens. had two 3 putts and one 4 putt. ball striking was awful esp on hybrids, which I will have to fix or get better by Sat, since I'll be using them more often.

Just found out we are playing the blue tees instead of the black tees. I'm somewhat relieved but at the same time was looking for the challenge playing the black tees (all the way back)

I love threads like these. Makes you follow through on things instead of getting lazy. Good luck with this and I will be reading this thread. Thanks for sharing MD

I love threads like these. Makes you follow through on things instead of getting lazy. Good luck with this and I will be reading this thread. Thanks for sharing MD
Thanks. This year should be a good year. Hope the work will pay off.

Good luck ,will check up on your progress

going to go for a practice round today on the course I'm playing for my league on Sat. last Monday, I shot a 93 playing blues (2nd to last tees). will be playing blues again as our league is playing there as well. hope I get close to my 93 again. wish me luck. ;)

GOOD LUCK! Just play positive golf. Find your own 'happy place.'

GOOD LUCK! Just play positive golf. Find your own 'happy place.'
hehe. hope I drive the ball as good as the last practice round. missed only 3 or 4 fairways but the misses are really close to the fairway. didn't hit any green on any par 3 though so I'm out for redemption! there's 5 of them too.

Just keep working, and even when you're shooting the rounds of 85-90 just beware you're still going to have the days you blow up higher again. Just keep focused on practicing and stay disciplined on the range and keep a good pre-shot routine and mindset during your practice time as you did on your league time. Best way to take those strokes off is work on your wedges/chipping/putting. By no means neglect that, if anything double that time up, and be confident!! Best of luck, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Just found out we are playing the blue tees instead of the black tees. I'm somewhat relieved but at the same time was looking for the challenge playing the black tees (all the way back)

You're better off playing from the blues. You don't want to be known as that guy who has to play the tips for the challenge when you can't break 100 from them. Plus, 137 slope is a HARD course.

Just keep working, and even when you're shooting the rounds of 85-90 just beware you're still going to have the days you blow up higher again. Just keep focused on practicing and stay disciplined on the range and keep a good pre-shot routine and mindset during your practice time as you did on your league time. Best way to take those strokes off is work on your wedges/chipping/putting. By no means neglect that, if anything double that time up, and be confident!! Best of luck, I look forward to seeing your progress.
thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

You're better off playing from the blues. You don't want to be known as that guy who has to play the tips for the challenge when you can't break 100 from them. Plus, 137 slope is a HARD course.
I wasn't looking to play the black at all. it was what was on the schedule for our league. if it was my decision, blue will be the one I'll play. glad they change it to blues.

shot a 91 yesterday. started out really well. my second shot on the first hole was less than a foot from the hole. tap in birdie on the 1st hole was a great start. if it wasn't for three bad holes, I would've def shot 80's. oh well. hope I back up my 93 & 91 practice round with another low 90's for tomorrow's league.

well, the round yesterday didn't turn out as good as I liked. I shot a 97. still with that, I was able to take the lead on the overall standings with 2 strokes. I plan on taking another 2 practice rounds for our next league play in two weeks.

here's a shot of my birdie putt from one of the practice rounds. you can tell I was excited. LoL
06-02-2011A.jpg

I'm hoping you made that putt, and I'm hoping you took the putter cover off first.

Keep up the good work!

I'm hoping you made that putt, and I'm hoping you took the putter cover off first.

Keep up the good work!
LoL

yes and yes. :D

looks like I need shop for a range finder to really get my distance situated. currently, here are my current numbers. I started a thread regarding yardages and have gotten good suggestions.

Good luck with your golfing, and here's a quick tip.

When I started getting close to breaking 90 I used the following mind-set. Treat every hole as a par 5. That way ifnyou get 5 for every hole it's a 90. a 4 on a par3 is a birdie, and 4 on a par 4 is also a birdie etc etc.

When I started really concentrating on this I went from a 23 to a 13 quite quickly. Also, as another post mentioned - short game, short game and more short game!

Good luck with your golfing, and here's a quick tip.

When I started getting close to breaking 90 I used the following mind-set. Treat every hole as a par 5. That way ifnyou get 5 for every hole it's a 90. a 4 on a par3 is a birdie, and 4 on a par 4 is also a birdie etc etc.

When I started really concentrating on this I went from a 23 to a 13 quite quickly. Also, as another post mentioned - short game, short game and more short game!
Thank you. :D

I need to find a facility that'll help me practice my short game. atm, I'm having trouble gauging my distance inside 100 yards. I've always been comfortable with bump and runs but on some holes bump and runs aren't optional. I'm also getting more and more comfortable around the greens. probably 7 out of 10 I can get it inside 20 ft. I just need to minimize 3 putting. last round I think I had (4) 3 putts. :(

Another thing I did which helped - I bought Dave Pelz Short Game Bible and it transformed the way I play from 100 meters and in.

Some people don't like it, but I found it really helped. You may be able to get it from a library etc.

Another thing I did which helped - I bought Dave Pelz Short Game Bible and it transformed the way I play from 100 meters and in.

Some people don't like it, but I found it really helped. You may be able to get it from a library etc.
Thanks again.

Xt1ncT-NZ has a great point about your mindset for holes. I have a par 31 course I play quite a bit, and par is not easy. In fact, I've never made part there. I treat every hole as a par 4 (there are no par 5s). Why you may ask? Because it's hard to hit rock hard greens from 220 yards on par 3s.

One thing that has really helped my short game, from about 30-70 yards range, is learning the pitch shot. I have spent a lot of time doing pitch shots at the range. It's always a full pitch shot, never a half or quarter or anything like that. Now that I have a shot I can repeat, I've filled in a lot of that 0-100 yard gap. I may not be close to the pin, but I'm on the green.

Back