My journey to consistently shoot 90's!

I finally got to try out the "every hole is a par 5" mindset last week. I was doing really well with it until hole 5. Then things started slipping away a bit. Finished the front 9 at 5 over for a real world 50. This was my best score ever for these 9 holes on a course that had really kicked my butt in the past. Had a rain delay for about an hour after nine so I was able to reset my mind and try again on the back nine. Shot a 2 over for a real world 47 on the back nine. This tied my best nine hole score ever. Ended up with a real world 97. This is only the fourth time in my brief golfing career that I have broken 100 so I will take the 97. From my results I can't say for sure that using the "every hole is a par 5" helped me, but I think it did. My thanks to whoever was the first to suggest this. I will be using this mindset for the foreseeable future.
congrats as well. always feel good to shoot well. keep doing the "every hole is a par 5" idea. you'd be surprise how much better you feel/score after your round.

going out for twilight tomorrow so hopefully, the course time will help with the rust.

Well I shot a 41 on a short par 31 course yesterday and on Wednesday I faced the biggest challenge of my golfing season so far. I played a very long very tough links style golf course about an 1 hours north of my brothers house. The greens on this course were insanely undulating. At times it felt like I was putting at some amusement park mini-golf course. My driving, wedge, and iron game were clicking on all four cylinders, unfortunately my putting wasn't. Thankfully I managed to shoot a 97, which will extremely help my handicap.

sad to say that last Sat I shot what I think is my worse ever! the course I took a 9 shot lead on (w/ handicap) gave me my 2nd lowest score of league play. 83 net. :( my driver was all over the place. only hit 2 FW. back nine, I hit the driver only a few times and just played safe getting to the green. I dunno how I did it but I manage to shoot a 56 on the front nine with only 1 three putt. yikes! anyway, I still manage to keep my lead on the low net for the season. only leading by 19 strokes. I think I had a chance to increase my lead of 23 to possibly 30 strokes but instead decreased my lead. just one of those days. next time out will be on a easier course so hopefully, I can manage a low to mid 90's score.

played 18 yesterday at The Orchards (71.0/130 --- 6510 yards). shot a 96, 50 on the front & 46 in the back. hit 9 FWY but only 2 GIR's. played smart most of the way. on the long Par 4's, I took it as a 3 shot approach. seems to work better for me. slowly building my confidence again after shooting a 111 last Sat. :(

anyway, at least I'm back to 90's. hope next few rounds will be 90's again. :D

SHot the best round of the season this morning. Shot an 89! Broke 90.....WooooHoooo. My new CB's were clicking (pun intended) on all cylinders. I had two poor iron shots all day. My driver game was tolerable and my putting was much better than my last few rounds. THe best shot of my round came on a par 5. It was my second shot over a hill on a blind shot to the pin. I pulled out my new 5 wood and pured a monstrous blast it was 245 to the hole. I drove up to the hole and found the ball just off the fringe. When most of your shots are consistent it really helps with your confidence. For me consistency= confidence!

after shooting a 92 last night as practice round, I shot another 92 today for league play. 46 front / 46 back. could've gotten to high 80's but had 5 3-putt on the card. :(

glad to say though that I dropped only once today and hit 8/13 FWY and some of the others were knockin' on the fairway. I've been struggling with the driver for a while and something happened that yesterday and today was a good day with the driver. also added another ball on the display case for a birdie on one of the Par 5's. 92 is the best I've scored on our league. we are on the 8th week out of 12 weeks of league play. so still lotsa positives to take from a what seems like a mediocre round coz everyone else did good.

You should read "dream on". It's a book about a man who trys to break par in one year. Fantastic read and also quite informative! :) good luck! :)

Welp, played awful, just plain awful on the back 9 yesterday. I double bogeyed a few holes and couldn't find my rythm. The only part of my game that shined was my driving. I was hitting straight bombs all day. My wedge game was weak and my putting with my new Corza ghost was attrocious. I'll step aside and blame the conditons. The course took a lot of water and the greens were soaked (literally puddles in the middle of a few greens). The greens were insanely slow. The ball would not roll and chip shots would just stop as soon as they hit the green. I still managed to shoot a 98, but I easily left 10 strokes out of the course, especially on the greens. Hopefully my corza and I can get some more practice in and become better friends (better greens might help).

08-06-2011

Devil's Ridge Golf Club (Oxford, MI)

Black Tees (6288 yards) Course Rating: 69.4/118

Fairways: 12/14

GIR: 5

3-Putts: 5..... yuck!!!

Score: 91

I think I'll start this new format for my rounds. :D

this is my 1st ever fund raising event I attended and was glad I did. actually felt good knowing that some of the funds are going to a good cause. this is by far my best driving ever on a course that I littered with balls last time I was there. this is my 2nd time on the course. 97 the first time around and 91 yesterday, which I thought I could have done much better. only lost 2 balls total so that means only 2 drop shots. that's the area of my game that has been plaguing me so I'm glad that the past 2 outings, I've limited the numbers of drops. anyway, league play resumes on Saturday (Week 9 of 12). practice round should be sometime this week since I've never played on this course before so I wanna at least familiarize myself with the course before league play. wish me luck. :D

Last edited:
I'm quite excited to try out the Srixon Q Star. if they do behave like the E6 off the tee and have the greenside manner of the E5/B330 RX, the Q Star will be replacing the E5 and E6 I've been gaming. I really enjoy the distance I get from E6 and the straight flight but don't really like how they are around the greens. I feel like I have to be less aggressive coz I'm scared of too much roll, esp on faster greens. anyway, I'm just excited about these new Q Star balls. :D

I'm quite excited to try out the Srixon Q Star. if they do behave like the E6 off the tee and have the greenside manner of the E5/B330 RX, the Q Star will be replacing the E5 and E6 I've been gaming. I really enjoy the distance I get from E6 and the straight flight but don't really like how they are around the greens. I feel like I have to be less aggressive coz I'm scared of too much roll, esp on faster greens. anyway, I'm just excited about these new Q Star balls. :D

I've been gaming the ProV1X's for awhile now and have really enjoyed them but i have to get a box of the Q-stars. I love all the qualities of the E-6 except around the greens. If the Q-Star can deliver E-6 distance and green side control I might have to shelf the ProV1x's for awhile.

08-13-2011

Fountains Golf & Banquet (Clarkston, MI)

Blue Tees (6164 yards) Course Rating: 69.6/131

Fairways: 5/14

GIR: 1... ewwww!

3-Putts: 7..... double yuck!!!

Score: 98

greens were really fast and lotsa undulations. I'm not used to fast greens. :( also, I think the problem was my pitching/chipping. for some reason, I wasn't using the right club. I normally use AW and 56* around the green and am pretty consistent getting it inside 15ft. my goal is to get it around 10ft each time I'm 30yards and in but today, I was really off. after a while, I think I just gave up. need to go back to basic by chipping/pitching more. also, better course management and discipline on being patient. hopefully, I'll learn these lessons for the next league play. I'm pretty sure I'll still have a lead when the scores get posted. on a good note, my big brother and little brother both shot awesome so that made me feel better. :D

results are in from yesterday's league play. I was only T-10. at least another top 10. :D

my older brother shot his best round of the season and actually his best round ever. he shot a 92 and with his handicap and some course handicap, he ended up with a net aggregate score of 59. so he's got a new nickname now with the guys... Mr. 59! my younger brother came in 2nd. he shot an 85 and net aggregate of 65. it would've been so awesome if I came in 3rd. anyway, at least we still had something to celebrate.

I will be doing something I thought I wouldn't do until next season but I feel like I need a change. I'll be putting the Mizuno MX-1000 in play from here on until the end of the season. I'll also be completing my 2nd bag with a M3 & M4 for hybrids. still dunno what 3w I'll get but probably just use my current 3w for now. thinking about the R11 3w but still not sure. just thought I'd document this here.

so excited... just put in an order for M3 / M4 Mashie's. YAY!!! :D

I ended up picking up a M2 & M3 yesterday. no M4 available but I should be getting a M4 next week or two. :D

got an appointment with our PGA Pro today to work on short game and putting today. hope this will help shave off a few strokes to get me to low 90's - high 80's average.

had an awesome lesson yesterday on short game and putting.

Mental Note about putting that may help people out. this is something I really didn't think about. I really didn't pay too much attention on how to read greens, where the water is, the mountain, etc....

this is more of a reminder for me too so I have a place to look back when needed.

1. when walking up to the green, figure out the lowest point and if there's water around the green. this is where it's most likely to break.
2. figure out if the putt is uphill or downhill.
3. figure out if it's gonna break left to right or right to left. if not sure, walk on the other side and feel with your feet which way the ground is shifting.
4. practice with your right arm while looking at the hole to have your eyes and body adjust to the putt.
5. align your ball to your target and hit the darn ball.

I also had some q's about set up when it came to uphill, downhill lies. things I learned:

1. on a uphill lie, there's two recommendation by my pro. he said the most common is level your shoulders with the angle of the slope. he said this is what most teachers recommend. but personally, he likes to just level your shoulders, lean a little to your lead leg and just pop the ball out. the 1st method, you tend to lose your balance during the swing, therefore making fat shots. also, you'll have to use a less lofted club to compensate for the uphill set up. also, make practice swings to figure out the bottom of the swing and adjust appropriately. also, you need to aim right coz the clubhead tends to go left when hitting uphill shots.

2. on a downhill lie, you move the ball behind a little. level your shoulders with the slope and hit a more lofted club since you're somewhat delofting the club on downhill lies. you also have to aim left of the target since on downhill shots, the ball tends to go right.

I'm not really sure this made sense but for me it did. this will hopefully help me course management and hopefully shave off a few more strokes before the season is over.

had an awesome lesson yesterday on short game and putting.

Mental Note about putting that may help people out. this is something I really didn't think about. I really didn't pay too much attention on how to read greens, where the water is, the mountain, etc....

this is more of a reminder for me too so I have a place to look back when needed.

1. when walking up to the green, figure out the lowest point and if there's water around the green. this is where it's most likely to break.
2. figure out if the putt is uphill or downhill.
3. figure out if it's gonna break left to right or right to left. if not sure, walk on the other side and feel with your feet which way the ground is shifting.
4. practice with your right arm while looking at the hole to have your eyes and body adjust to the putt.
5. align your ball to your target and hit the darn ball.

I also had some q's about set up when it came to uphill, downhill lies. things I learned:

1. on a uphill lie, there's two recommendation by my pro. he said the most common is level your shoulders with the angle of the slope. he said this is what most teachers recommend. but personally, he likes to just level your shoulders, lean a little to your lead leg and just pop the ball out. the 1st method, you tend to lose your balance during the swing, therefore making fat shots. also, you'll have to use a less lofted club to compensate for the uphill set up. also, make practice swings to figure out the bottom of the swing and adjust appropriately. also, you need to aim right coz the clubhead tends to go left when hitting uphill shots.

2. on a downhill lie, you move the ball behind a little. level your shoulders with the slope and hit a more lofted club since you're somewhat delofting the club on downhill lies. you also have to aim left of the target since on downhill shots, the ball tends to go right.

I'm not really sure this made sense but for me it did. this will hopefully help me course management and hopefully shave off a few more strokes before the season is over.

Those are some really good tips. I'll have to try using a left lofted club on those uphill lies around the greens. That might help especially on the course I'm playing Sunday which has a lot of elevated greens.

Those are some really good tips. I'll have to try using a left lofted club on those uphill lies around the greens. That might help especially on the course I'm playing Sunday which has a lot of elevated greens.
Thanks. :D

I really do hope they help. I know when he was explaining them to me, they made sense. I need to spend a lot more time on the practice green. just found a facility that offers 50 yards shots, multiple putting/chipping greens with bunkers.

08-20-2011

Bowes Creek CC (Elgin, IL)

Blue Tees (6569 yards) Course Rating: 71.5/138 -- Par 71

Fairways: 6/14

GIR: 5

3-Putts: 2

Score: 89

Used the MX-1000 irons and I have to say that I enjoyed hitting them on the course. also used the Mashie M2 and M3 for the first time and enjoyed hitting those too. along with only having (2) 3-putts, combines for a great score for me. I would've shot better if it wasn't cart path only and my rangefinder's battery didn't run out after the 5th hole. it's amazing how much I relied on the range finder for distance. and I would bring 2 clubs with the approximate distance but find out that I have the wrong club so I would just choke down or try to hit it as hard as I can, therefore messing up with distance. if I was to guess, I probably would've shaved off another 3-4 strokes. that would've been amazing! so overall an awesome round especially playing with my cousins from there. :D

Excellent round! Been following this thread for awhile since my goal this year was 90's golf as well, you're definitely progressing well.

Excellent round! Been following this thread for awhile since my goal this year was 90's golf as well, you're definitely progressing well.
Thank you. :D

I say the golf lesson last Thurs helped out too. I'm more observant of my surroundings around the green. also, I'm getting more and more used to using the big muscles (hips, instead of being handsy). I just worry about firing the hips and the rest of the swing just flows. hope to knock in the high 80's door by end of October.

MD177 -- I am real impressed with your hard work and dedication. You got one heck of a great attitude which is half the battle!

Last edited:
MD177 -- I am real impressed with your hard work and dedication. You got one heck of a great attitude which is have the battle!
Thank you very much Ole Gray. I appreciate the kind words. it's really uplifting that others see the dedication I put towards the game. I've always have the same attitude on whatever I do. if I'm gonna do something, I might as well do it right. ;)

as for attitude, it'll be testing these last few league plays. I have some people on my tail since most people were at the make up round last Sat. only if I can duplicate my score for this Sat league play, I'll be able to separate again from the crowd coming to the 2 playoff round in Sept. and to boot, the last time I played on the course we're playing this Sat, I shot a 111, with a net of 83 putting me 2nd to last place finish. yikes! the 1st time there, I won 1st place that week's points with a 95 with a 65 net aggregate. so if I can be somewhere around par net aggregate, I think I'll be alright. my handicap has been consistently going down every week. currently it's 20.4

Back