My journey to consistently shoot 90's!

That was a great round at Bowes Creek MD. Very solid numbers on a pretty tough course (at least from the ratings it seems a bit tough). Keep up the great work!

That was a great round at Bowes Creek MD. Very solid numbers on a pretty tough course (at least from the ratings it seems a bit tough). Keep up the great work!
it's weird because I thought it wasn't that tough. maybe I shouldn't look at the course rating when playing. maybe it's mental. or maybe I just hit the ball well that day. you never really know. LoL

I hope to bring the confidence for this Saturday's league play. wish me luck. :D

Great updates - keep it up!

working on chipping/pitching and putting today. wanted to get acquainted with the Srixon QStar balls around the green, esp inside 50 yards. I've played a round with them already but am still getting used to them. they will be used for this Sat league play. I'm kinda excited esp from all the reviews on the QStar thread. :act-up:

08-27-2011

Shenandoah CC (West Bloomfield, MI)

Blue Tees (6493 yards) Course Rating: 72.2/137 -- Par 72

Fairways: 8/14

GIR: 4

3-Putts: 5

Score: 96

aside from blowing holes 8, 9, 10; I would've for sure shot another 80. just those 3 holes, I gave away 11 strokes. on 8th, I OB my tee shot and provisional. on the 9th, it was a Par 3 and I 4-putt. on 10th, another 3-putt. I was glad I was able to get it together on the remaining holes though was only 6 from 11th to 18th. I'll be working hard on the putting and short game around the green the next two weeks before the next league play. I'm just happy the ball striking has improved. I know that short game and putting is always a work in progress.

I played 9 on Friday and shot a 47. I played really well early on but the last few holes went bogey, bogey, quad bogey. I duffed three shots in the fairway on a long par 5 but was able to pull it together when I got on the green and 1 putt. I have been having a problem with bad holes. Each bad hole seems to compound one another. Thankfully I only played 9 because I prob might have shot into the 100's if I played the back 9.

Nice round MD. It's always a good sign when you can get past your blow up holes and bring it back together in the end. Keep up the good work.

Nice round MD. It's always a good sign when you can get past your blow up holes and bring it back together in the end. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. I was trying really hard to stay mentally tough since this was league play. I wanted to keep up the lead. we have 2 more league plays to go and I have kept the lead since week 4/12. the current lead atm is 27 strokes. I think if I play one more good round next Sat, I will be able to secure it. wish me luck. :act-up:

08-29-2011

Sanctuary Lake Golf Course (Troy, MI)

Blue Tees (3124 yards -- 9 holes) Course Rating: 69.6/127 -- Par 71

Fairways: 4/7

GIR: 1 (in my mind it was a practice round so I was too aggressive aiming at the flag)

3-Putts: 3

# of drops = penalty = lost balls: 3

Score: 46

Ball: Srixon QStar (been using since 08-22-2011)

I really think that every time you tee up, you should at least try to hit the range and hit some putts to get loosen up and get a feel on how fast the greens are. anyway, I wanted to put this out there since normally for me when I don't get warmed up, I mess up the 1st few holes. it's catch up golf from there on. so, needless to say that I double bogeyed the first two holes. :( I went ahead and followed that with 3 Pars in a row. double, bogey, double, bogey completed the round.

08-31-2011

Westwynd (Rochester Hills, MI)

Blue Tees (6727 yards -- 18 holes) Course Rating: 71.3/137 -- Par 72

Fairways: 11/13

GIR: 2

# of drops = penalty = lost balls: 3

Score: 49/47 = 96

Ball: Srixon QStar

not too bad since this was my first time in this course. lotsa trouble that you cannot see on blind shots. really helps to know that course you're playing most of the time. we chose this course since this will be the course we'll play at for 1 or 2 playoff events coming up for our league. there's also lotsa bunkers in this course. man, they were all over the place. I'm glad to hit 11 or 13 FWY though. but weren't able to take advantage and only had 2 GIR. the two were actually from Par 3's. yikes!

As long as you keep hitting your fairways you are on the right track. Did you end up in a lot of sand @ westwynd.

As long as you keep hitting your fairways you are on the right track. Did you end up in a lot of sand @ westwynd.
Thank you. the other two drives that didn't hit the FWY were on the sand. LoL. seems like you know the course. definitely tons of bunkers all over the place. I think I landed on only 2-3 greenside bunkers so that's good. hope to score low 90's for our league play next Sat.

just noting this in here. my handicap went down again to 18.8, not sure if this is good for me or not. I'm happy that it tells me I'm improving but with so many good players on our league, I can use all the handicap I can get. LoL

09-05-2011

Fairways: 8/13

# of drops = penalty = lost balls: 4

Score: 48/47 = 95

Since you are fairly new to the game just like myself I think a good investment would be to go to a 2-3 day golf school somewhere in Myrtle Beach. Prices can be from inexpensive to very expensive but it all depends on what kind of student to teacher ratio you get. I did it early and the way I looked at things was why create bad habits now and then try to fix them when I can learn good habits first and by an instructor. Good luck with your game! I'm finishing my third year and I've finally broke 40 and hope to see it more next season.

I hate when you hit the fairway on a par 5 and duff the next couple shots. Drives me crazy! You seem to shoot around the same scores I do. Lately in my game when it comes to Par 5's I approach the hole with a more mental approach than physical. I tell myself all you really need are 3 good shots at 150+ and then you've already cleared 450+ yards. So, if you get a decent drive realistically two 7 irons (which is a fair and easier than normal club to hit) put you on in 3 with a chance at birdie! I've said to myself why try and use a 3-hybrid which I hit poorly, I don't have the power to reach in two and there is definitely nothing wrong with reaching in 3 shooting for birdie!

09-05-2011

Fairways: 8/13

# of drops = penalty = lost balls: 4

Score: 48/47 = 95

Just a suggestion but a 137 slope is a fairly difficult layout even for someone with a single digit handicap. Not sure what your options are but slope usually decreases rapidly by moving up a tee. It could make a big difference in your scores.

Just getting started around here and found this thread. Good luck to you. I have to say I am in a similar boat. Really love the game and have been able to play a lot more lately and am working on consistency. I have turned into quite the "Ranger Rick" and work extremely hard to take it to the course.

Since you are fairly new to the game just like myself I think a good investment would be to go to a 2-3 day golf school somewhere in Myrtle Beach. Prices can be from inexpensive to very expensive but it all depends on what kind of student to teacher ratio you get. I did it early and the way I looked at things was why create bad habits now and then try to fix them when I can learn good habits first and by an instructor. Good luck with your game! I'm finishing my third year and I've finally broke 40 and hope to see it more next season.
I'm actually taking golf lessons here already. whenever I'm struggling about an area of my game, I try to address that by talking to my pro and getting a lesson scheduled. this normally helps a lot. thanks for the suggestion though. might be something to check out as an excuse to make vacation plans. hehe.

I hate when you hit the fairway on a par 5 and duff the next couple shots. Drives me crazy! You seem to shoot around the same scores I do. Lately in my game when it comes to Par 5's I approach the hole with a more mental approach than physical. I tell myself all you really need are 3 good shots at 150+ and then you've already cleared 450+ yards. So, if you get a decent drive realistically two 7 irons (which is a fair and easier than normal club to hit) put you on in 3 with a chance at birdie! I've said to myself why try and use a 3-hybrid which I hit poorly, I don't have the power to reach in two and there is definitely nothing wrong with reaching in 3 shooting for birdie!
our next league this Sat actually has five Par 5 and five Par 3. I'm looking forward to tackling the Par 5's. I'm getting better reaching the green in three. my no of GIR's have been really good the past 2 league plays. I would take a Par 5 any day instead of a long Par 4. hehe. you should try the Mashie M3. really easy to hit for me and I've gotten a lot of confidence hitting 200 yards approach with the Mashie's. anyway, good luck with your game as well and hope to see yah on the 80's club.

Just a suggestion but a 137 slope is a fairly difficult layout even for someone with a single digit handicap. Not sure what your options are but slope usually decreases rapidly by moving up a tee. It could make a big difference in your scores.
league plays are always on the blue tees so I have to get good at teeing it up on those tee's. probably when I just play with my buddies, I'll go to white and hopefully do better. thanks for the suggestion. :act-up:

Number one cause of this - swinging too hard. I know it is easier to say it than it is not to do it but trying to get that extra distance or trying to hit that perfect shot makes me tighten up and hit terrible shots, I have to make an effort to relax my grip and arms and just try to make a really smooth controlled swing.

Number one cause of this - swinging too hard. I know it is easier to say it than it is not to do it but trying to get that extra distance or trying to hit that perfect shot makes me tighten up and hit terrible shots, I have to make an effort to relax my grip and arms and just try to make a really smooth controlled swing.
I agree. I'd rather be in control when swinging than try to smash the ball as hard as I can. when I try to hard, the ball does not go as far coz of tension. when I'm lose and free flowing, my swing is effortless and the ball goes farther. :D

With all of this rain, earthquakes, floods, and hurricanes up here in the Northeast it's been hard to play latley. I'm getting out tommorrow and need to shake off about 2 weeks worth of rust. Lets hope I can keep my score in the 98-92 range.

09-09-2011

Greystone Golf Club (Washington, MI)

Grey Tees (6267 yards -- 18 holes) Course Rating: 70.7/131 -- Par 72

Fairways: 5/14

GIR: 3

# of drops = penalty = lost balls: N/A

Score: 46/51 = 97

No of Par(s): 1

09-10-2011

Copper Hills Golf & C.C. (Oxford, MI)

Blue Tees (6235 yards -- 18 holes) Course Rating: 69.7/135 -- Par 72

Fairways: 7/14

GIR: 3

3-Putts: 3 & 1 4-Putt ALL on the back nine; front nine, I was working on only 14 putts

# of drops = penalty = lost balls: N/A

Score: 52/49 = 101

No of Par(s): 3

Back