My mouth almost go me in trouble

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
So, yesterday, my kid and I were playing this course...

89de4ac893b36a8356ba4fc7_l.jpg

The wind wasn't too awful. Maybe 10mph or so with occasional 15mph gusts. Definitely NOT your typical OK wind. It was enough to make some of the holes play a little longer though.

So, we step up to hole #12. It's the #2 handicap hole and it's hard enough when it's not upwind and, even from the blue tees, it's a challenge. Well, we were playing the tips and it was playing into the wind. I figure it was playing a solid 480y, at least. We were playing with a single that joined us. He was a nice kid. Said he'd played college level baseball (I'm thinking OSU, but I could be wrong) and just started playing golf when COVID hit. He was NOT playing the tips with us. He tried twice on #1 before he gave up and went up to the whites. Anyway, all that to say, I commented on the tee box that it was gonna be playing long. I said it's basically a par 5 now. My kid spoke up and said it was only a par 3 for him. I said, oh yeah? If you hole out in 3 strokes, I'll give you $1000. Now, he's not a bad player, but he hasn't played much in the past few weeks and he wasn't playing great so far at that point. I think he was like +6 thru 11. I just know this hole is a difficult enough task on a normal day from the blue tees and figured I was safe.

So, he hits his drive and he busted on good. I think he was just inside the 200y mark so he hit it ~260y into the wind. Unfortunately, he was in the right rough under a tree and sitting just behind a root. I figured I was good to go and he'd have to punch out. No such luck. This kid ripped a stinger 4i out from under the tree, mocking the root as he swang, and rolled the ball up on the front of the green. He now had a 30ish foot putt for $1000... of my money. I made sure he realized this was the biggest putt of his life. In the end, he left it a little on the low side and tapped in for a great par on a difficult hole.

For the record, here's the lie he hit from.

20200803_091716.jpg

Nice recovery. I would have shattered my wrist on that shot.

Nice recovery. I would have shattered my wrist on that shot.

I knew he could get it out, but never dreamed he'd hit that good of a shot. I don't think he did either. He was just trying to get it up near the front. Turned out, he ran it up on the green.

No offense to your wallet, but I was rootin for your kid. :ROFLMAO:

No offense to your wallet, but I was rootin for your kid. :ROFLMAO:
It would have been 100% worth it to see him birdie that hole. It would have been as good as an eagle as far as I'm concerned. Would have been worth every penny. Mainly because I love to see him play well, but it would ease my mind that he wouldn't just waste the cash, too.

It would have been 100% worth it to see him birdie that hole. It would have been as good as an eagle as far as I'm concerned. Would have been worth every penny. Mainly because I love to see him play well, but it would ease my mind that he wouldn't just waste the cash, too.
I loved the setup and the hole it occurred on. #10 on my home course is a very long par 4 like that, and often play starts on that hole. Its so brutal.
A 3 definitely feels like an eagle. (y) If you can par it on club champ day, you usually pick up a stroke.

Dangle a $1000 bucks in front of anyone, and good things usually happen.

Secretly, I bet Dad wouldn't have minded paying the youngster.

I once bet my daughter a $100 bucks she couldn't hit a home run with two outs, bases loaded, bottom of the 9th, needing 4 runs to win. She hit a triple, and later scored the winning run on a wild pitch.

On the way to our car, she apologized for not hitting the HR, but that she would settle for $75 just to make me feel better.........

So, yesterday, my kid and I were playing this course...

89de4ac893b36a8356ba4fc7_l.jpg

The wind wasn't too awful. Maybe 10mph or so with occasional 15mph gusts. Definitely NOT your typical OK wind. It was enough to make some of the holes play a little longer though.

So, we step up to hole #12. It's the #2 handicap hole and it's hard enough when it's not upwind and, even from the blue tees, it's a challenge. Well, we were playing the tips and it was playing into the wind. I figure it was playing a solid 480y, at least. We were playing with a single that joined us. He was a nice kid. Said he'd played college level baseball (I'm thinking OSU, but I could be wrong) and just started playing golf when COVID hit. He was NOT playing the tips with us. He tried twice on #1 before he gave up and went up to the whites. Anyway, all that to say, I commented on the tee box that it was gonna be playing long. I said it's basically a par 5 now. My kid spoke up and said it was only a par 3 for him. I said, oh yeah? If you hole out in 3 strokes, I'll give you $1000. Now, he's not a bad player, but he hasn't played much in the past few weeks and he wasn't playing great so far at that point. I think he was like +6 thru 11. I just know this hole is a difficult enough task on a normal day from the blue tees and figured I was safe.

So, he hits his drive and he busted on good. I think he was just inside the 200y mark so he hit it ~260y into the wind. Unfortunately, he was in the right rough under a tree and sitting just behind a root. I figured I was good to go and he'd have to punch out. No such luck. This kid ripped a stinger 4i out from under the tree, mocking the root as he swang, and rolled the ball up on the front of the green. He now had a 30ish foot putt for $1000... of my money. I made sure he realized this was the biggest putt of his life. In the end, he left it a little on the low side and tapped in for a great par on a difficult hole.

For the record, here's the lie he hit from.

View attachment 8956080
Ha ha, my mouth got me in trouble when my daughter was 6 and had been invited to join the swim team. They had a aquathon to raise money for the team. She had never swan in a 50 meter pool before and me being the typical man said to the coach that recruited her, " I'll pledge $10.00 per non-stop length" in the 2 hours it was going on. At 67 LAPS he stopped her because time up! That was 134 lengths non stop! Wrote out the check and cried! 😳 She did go on to be one of the best 1650 swimmers in the state and thinks nothing of the 2 mile swim across the cove at camp. And of course every time she does it she ask how much am I paying. 😠

Ha ha, my mouth got me in trouble when my daughter was 6 and had been invited to join the swim team. They had a aquathon to raise money for the team. She had never swan in a 50 meter pool before and me being the typical man said to the coach that recruited her, " I'll pledge $10.00 per non-stop length" in the 2 hours it was going on. At 67 LAPS he stopped her because time up! That was 134 lengths non stop! Wrote out the check and cried! 😳 She did go on to be one of the best 1650 swimmers in the state and thinks nothing of the 2 mile swim across the cove at camp. And of course every time she does it she ask how much am I paying. 😠

Wow! I'll bet the coach liked you after that one...

What a story! Good on you for the donation and her finding a sport to excel.

Man, that's a great shot!

I knew he could get it out, but never dreamed he'd hit that good of a shot. I don't think he did either. He was just trying to get it up near the front. Turned out, he ran it up on the green.

You have learned a lesson on match play. As soon as you think your opponent is dead, they'll knock one to 3 inches. Similarly, when you're in the middle of the fairway with 100 yards left and ready to put them away, you'll shank it into the bunker.

That’s the beauty of golf, one great shot can lead to a birdie or tap in par on a hard hole. Tell the kid, nice!! Left it short though, ouch!

I had a similar situation, my son was playing in the County Jr last year, his first ever tournament. I told him that if he won it, he got my Circle T knowing that there were a couple ringers that went to a prep school in Columbus to mainly play golf and they were good.

I was nervous after day 1 when he was 4 shots clear of the field. They grouped the top 4 together for the final day. Well one of those kids was one of the kids that went to the prep school, he was 6 strokes back. That kid went out and put up his best nine of his life. They were now tied after 27. They played 10-11 and Colin was one stroke ahead when they cancelled due to rain.

The rules had them go back to the last nine played for score. Neither kid wanted a tie and both agreed to go back out in the rain for a sudden death playoff. Colin 3 putt bogeyed from 15 feet and the other kid got up and down for par. I was still rooting for Colin but that would have been painful.

The real kicker and lesson in there for Colin, he missed a 3 INCH putt on hole 3 day 2. He was trying to finish out and was really contorted trying to avoid the others lines. Left a stroke out there, that stroke cost him the tournament and a not cheap putter (he still plays it, but it’s mine, he just putted best with it when he hit his growth spurt and his old putter was too short. If you can’t be 100% on a 3” putt, mark it. He was still 4 shots clear then but I just knew that it would come back to bite him. It did!

If you can’t be 100% on a 3” putt, mark it.

Ain't that the truth. I missed a tap in yesterday for the same reason.

One of these days he's going to get you good dad! There's just something about that kid. When he's in an absolutely craptastic predicament on the course his focus level seems to go through the roof. Embraces the challenge versus trying to conjure up fire ants like Bryson.

That is so awesome! Too bad he just missed the putt!

That is so awesome! Too bad he just missed the putt!

Yeah, it would have hurt, but it would have been worth it to pay it out.

That’s the kind of stuff I do, only he would have made the putt had I made that offer.

That’s the kind of stuff I do, only he would have made the putt had I made that offer.

That's far and away the richest offer I've ever made. I wouldn't make that offer on any other hole and to anyone other than my own kids.

That's far and away the richest offer I've ever made. I wouldn't make that offer on any other hole and to anyone other than my own kids.
I’m guessing you won’t make it again. ;)

I’m guessing you won’t make it again. ;)

Probably will make it, but there’ll be a zero removed from the offer, lol.

Great story. So, was Dad “really” rooting for the 30 foot putt? 😆. Would love to pay out a bet like that to my son

Great story. So, was Dad “really” rooting for the 30 foot putt? 😆. Would love to pay out a bet like that to my son

Oh, yes, I was definitely rooting for it. This kid has two 79s and a 73 to his name and I haven't seen any of them. I want to see him shoot lights out. He' losing his motivation now because he's got a job and not as much time to devote to golf, but he shows flashes of brilliance once in a while still.

Back