My new Adams CB2s

AZRhode

Reaction score
Handicap
4.8 GHIN
I've played two rounds with my new Adams CB2s and I like them alot, I'm just not sure I'm in love yet.

They seem to be a hair longer(3-5yrd per club) compared to my AP2s, which is not a big deal either way. I think that is most likely due to the 1-2* stronger lofts and maybe the lighter shafts. I may need to strenthen the loft on my 56* to 55* or get a 54* to keep my gaps spaced right but also not a big deal.

I LOVE the feel of these when they're hit pure. I will agree the can feel a bit "clicky" or harsh when they're hit thin, which in the two rounds I've played has been my miss. This is not really a negative to me as I can tell when I miss it, which is good.

There are a few differences I've noted. They have a slightly higher ballflight, which I think is probably due to the shafts(KBS compared to PX), but not sure. They seem to correct directional mishits better than my AP2s but feel a little less forgiving distance wise on mishits. I'm still not positive on this as it's only been two rounds, so I need to get a lot more work in with them. The feel is very different to me as they feel much lighter. I love the looks and I've hit some great shots with them so far.

I'm pretty sure I'm keeping them in the bag, but not 100% sure yet as I played some fantastic rounds with my AP2s lately and they've worked great for me for that past 3 seasons. We'll see.....

I know a lot of the people at the THP Demo Day got to try these out. Im sure they can share their thoughts.

well, it's still early on. switching irons is a tough transition for me. the cb's are phenomenal looking, i wish you luck with them.

Best of luck with the new sticks AZ!

Took a few swings with these and they just werent for me. Guess I dont have the swing for them as I found them very harsh and difficult to hit sweet. But I agree they are very sharp looking though.

I bought these irons at the beginning of the summer and it came down to the AP2's or the CB2's. I found them very similar. The one thing I found a little tough to adjust to, and what may be causing your yardage discrepancy is that the CB2's are slightly longer than most every other club I demoed, I countered this by going one degree week. Both sets(Ap's and CB's), when struck on the screws, are the best feeling irons I have swung this side of a Mizuno. Mizunos were in the running but were the most unforgiving clubs I tried to hit and after a while, it messed with my head.

Anyway, I hope you like them. I get compliments on them all the time. I never would have considered buying an Adams iron but was turned onto them by two local pros, a golftec instructor and three Golf Galaxy employees that all swore by them. I am thrilled I did. My hunt took months and I have no regrets.

My ULTIMATE gripe? No 3 iron.

The CB2s (and CB1) are high on my radar. I've hit a 6 iron in a simulator/net for a few minutes and like the feel enough, I think, but I'm not sure. I also found it slightly harsh on mis-hits, which is fine. But I love the look. I think mentally I love the concept of having all black clubs in the back - I already have black woods, black wedges, and a black putter. Having black irons to complete the set would be snazzy, but I'm fighting that desire to make sure I get the best clubs to play, not the best looking. I'm not a woman or anything. :D

Had my eyes on those for a while, but I couldn't afford them when I was due to replace my irons, so I went with the A4's which are fairly similar to the CB2's but a model older. Hope you love em!

I loved the feel of the CB2's. Had I purchased a set of Adams, they would have most likely been my choice.

I definitely hear what you're saying about hitting them thin, but I think the reward outweighs they negative, as it was very crisp when I hit them clean.

Thanks for all the feedback and good wishes. I'm going to spend some time on the range tomorrow before my Friday skins game and get a little more acquainted with them. They are so pretty, it'd be hard to move them out of the bag. Now if only the CG15 DSG came in black....

ugh, jealous you even get to swing a club right now. Snow here.

I'm happy to hear you like them! You're also smart for living in a warm climate. :)

Glad you like them! I thought they looked better than they hit. At least for my game

For the people gaming the CB's; how is the black finish holding up?

For the people gaming the CB's; how is the black finish holding up?

No wear at all regarding the finish, unlike my CG15's. Cleveland could benefit from following Adams lead here. Still thrilled with every aspect of the clubs.

(via tapatalk android)

No wear at all regarding the finish, unlike my CG15's. Cleveland could benefit from following Adams lead here. Still thrilled with every aspect of the clubs.

(via tapatalk android)

Keep in mind that Clevelands goal was to have a raw type of wedge. A finish that wears over time. Its not supposed to be a "hold up" kind of finish.

I've hit the CB2 and found it quite forgiving for a head of that profile....then went and bought a set of the A4 Forged.

Keep in mind that Clevelands goal was to have a raw type of wedge. A finish that wears over time. Its not supposed to be a "hold up" kind of finish.

Really??? i knew that was the case with the Cleveland RTG finish but didn't know it was the case with the Black Pearl too

Not true with the black pearl finish.

Not true with the black pearl finish.

Curious where this info comes from?

Our info is coming straight from Cleveland Golf Tour Van. There response:

From the first few strikes you will see wear on the darker black pearl finish. This is apparent in the Black Pearl finish as well as our Oil Quench because based on initial response, players like to see wear on some wedges. We offer other finish options that do not show wear in both our CG15 and CG14 wedge line.

Last edited:
They're not meant to rust like raw finishes.

They're not meant to rust like raw finishes.

I Don't recall saying that they were meant to rust. What I said was that they "that it is a finish that is to wear over time. Its not supposed to be a "hold up" kind of finish"

Must be the confusion there.

JB, we're talking about 2 different things here. I didn't read the whole thread and I wasn't commenting on a statement by you. I THOUGHT I read that somebody said these (CB2) would rust like raw finishes. My apologies for the miscommunication.

Curious where this info comes from?

Our info is coming straight from Cleveland Golf Tour Van. There response:

From the first few strikes you will see wear on the darker black pearl finish. This is apparent in the Black Pearl finish as well as our Oil Quench because based on initial response, players like to see wear on some wedges. We offer other finish options that do not show wear in both our CG15 and CG14 wedge line.

So will that be the case with the Cleveland CG7 and the new CG16 BP irons sets too??? I could kinda live with a wedge or two wearing off and getting raw, but wouldn't want the whole bag to look like that...

So will that be the case with the Cleveland CG7 and the new CG16 BP irons sets too??? I could kinda live with a wedge or two wearing off and getting raw, but wouldn't want the whole bag to look like that...

Yes, the irons will as well. Its the finish that CG has chosen. Some like it, some dont.

Lets keep this thread about the Adams and we can move the CG talk to the appropriate iron thread.

Back