My New Years Tradition

PapaJohick

#ShortKnockerBombs
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Something I started a couple years ago when going through my divorce and losing a lot of people in my life due to it.

Golf was my healing/crutch/escape or whatever you wanted to call it.

Sooo I decided to try and think back on each year like most of us do, but to end it and begin a new one with something I loved. So now I play on new years eve and follow it up the next day on the new years with another round. Don't care about score or swing thoughts or really anything golf related except being out there and enjoying what I get to do in order to reset my mental attitude.

End the year with my passion and then start the new year with my passion. Helps me keep a lot in perspective in terms of what is actually important in life and that golf for many of us is just that.... golf. a hobby we love to do. There are so many big things that we go through every day throughout the year, Golf should not be a contributor to the negatives, but instead, a massive push for us to remember the positives.

What do you guys do for New years in terms of traditions or reminiscing or putting your mind right for the upcoming year. could golf related or not. Just want to chat about it :)

I hope yall had a great holiday season and hope you continue to have a great leap into the 2023!!!!

End the year with my passion and then start the new year with my passion. Helps me keep a lot in perspective in terms of what is actually important in life and that golf for many of us is just that....
This is one of the coolest things. Ending and starting with a passion. I truly wish I could do that with where I live!

As for my own traditions on new years, I don’t really have any. Usually spend it with a few friends and the wife but it seems to change what we do every year.

Mindset is always just hoping that the next year will be better than the last. Doesn’t always end up that way but the positivity is there regardless!

I managed the 12/31 and 1/1 feat once in Michigan: 12/31/2016 and 1/1/2017. Considering our typical winter weather, I don't expect to do that again in my lifetime unless we move south.

No golf-related traditions associated with the New Year. I very much like yours. (y)

This is one of the coolest things. Ending and starting with a passion. I truly wish I could do that with where I live!

As for my own traditions on new years, I don’t really have any. Usually spend it with a few friends and the wife but it seems to change what we do every year.

Mindset is always just hoping that the next year will be better than the last. Doesn’t always end up that way but the positivity is there regardless!
I managed the 12/31 and 1/1 feat once in Michigan: 12/31/2016 and 1/1/2017. Considering our typical winter weather, I don't expect to do that again in my lifetime unless we move south.

No golf-related traditions associated with the New Year. I very much like yours. (y)

yeah, I realize I’m pretty fortunate in the fact that I get to do this as a tradition. The first year I did it, it was beautiful and I believe mid 60s to low 70s each day. One of the years it was mid 30s or so. this year the forecast has it mid 60s or low 70s but 60% chance of rain both days. Either way I’m going to enjoy it and remember to appreciate the fact that it is just golf and it’s something I love to do.

I try to do some physical or athletic activity on New Years Day. It could be hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing or running depending on the weather.

I love your perspectives on golf and subsequently, life. Golf should be a reminder about the positives, no matter how "good" or "bad" we play an individual round, or shot.

I might be able to do this as well this year. Weather looks best for the 30th and 1st in my area.

Great idea! I hope to be able to join the tradition this weekend.

I’d love to do that this year but Saturday is all about Michigan - TCU and Sunday is supposed to be crummy weather. But I’m playing Friday and hopefully Monday as well. So, close! Regardless, happy new year!

End the year with my passion and then start the new year with my passion. Helps me keep a lot in perspective in terms of what is actually important in life and that golf for many of us is just that.... golf.

Love that idea. When I live in the south again, I'm going to start that tradition 🔥

Last edited:
I’d love to do that this year but Saturday is all about Michigan - TCU and Sunday is supposed to be crummy weather. But I’m playing Friday and hopefully Monday as well. So, close! Regardless, happy new year!

Ya the footballgames are going to be missed a little. Saturday tee time is 1150. Sunday is 9 am.

Well it looks like the bad weather will be Saturday, and Sunday looks clear and 50s. FORE!

Back