My Next Driver Head to Head - Mavrik SZ vs Ping G410 LST

Bleeding Green
Reaction score
Last month I did a head to head with a TM SiM vs Mavrik SZ and the Mavrik won out fairly easily. Well, a couple of rounds with the Mav and I’ve been wild. So instead of fixing my swing I will do what I always do and try a different driver. I’m planning on building a Ping G410 LST with a HZRDUS Smoke Yellow to go against the Sub Zero. We’ll see which one comes out on top.

I’m going HZRDUS yellow because the weight of the Ping head kind of necessitates something that is counterbalanced and I really like the Smoke profiles. I also have a Tensei Orange I might throw in it, but I’ll try the HZRDUS first. I’m hoping for something straight out of this build bc I’ve been all over the place with the Mav SZ. Long and wrong isn’t doing it for me. When I played on Monday I was hitting some bombs with the Mav but couldn’t find a fairway. Playing a course that is only 6500 yards I need to be in the fairway more than I need to be 280 and in the rough. Both head and shaft should be ready to go by Friday.

I’m thinking I may play the LST at a little shorter than the SZ. Mav is playing at 45.5” and I’m planning maybe 45 even for the LST.

I’ll update as my parts come in.

What shaft is on the sub zero? If I knew I can't remember.

Also, of the ones I've hit, the 410 lst might be the second best for me. I've hit it well. If it didn't look like tread plate, I'd own one.

Should be a fun head to head. The thing I loved about the lst was that set up well I didn't fear my worst miss, so I felt like I could really go after it.

Last edited:
Also, of the ones I've hit, the 410 lst might be the second best for me. I've hit it well. If it didn't look like tread plate, I'd own one.

I keep coming back to the Ping drivers. I’ve had several LST and Plus heads over the last year. I keep trying others but I always end up back with a Ping. Not sure what the draw is but just when I think I’m out, they pull me back in.

I keep coming back to the Ping drivers. I’ve had several LST and Plus heads over the last year. I keep trying others but I always end up back with a Ping. Not sure what the draw is but just when I think I’m out, they pull me back in.
You and me both.

The LST has taken on and defeated all comers for me this year, curious to see your experience.

You and me both.

The LST has taken on and defeated all comers for me this year, curious to see your experience.

My best driving rounds of the last year have almost all come with either the LST or the Plus, yet for some reason I keep trying new clubs as they come out. If the LST wins out this time I’m not switching again this year (hopefully).

My best driving rounds of the last year have almost all come with either the LST or the Plus, yet for some reason I keep trying new clubs as they come out. If the LST wins out this time I’m not switching again this year (hopefully).
I hear you. I’ve put mine against Mav, Mav Max, EXS220, Cobra SZ, and Xtreme this year. It’s handled them all so far.

Interested in your results here. Still have my g410 plus but the Mav SZ has continued to beat it out.

I’m also a huge fan of Ping drivers and for some reason I couldn’t get the LST 410 to work for me. May try a 410 plus if my SZ and Sim Max experiments don’t pan out. Ping drivers are always a security blanket for me.

I’m also a huge fan of Ping drivers and for some reason I couldn’t get the LST 410 to work for me. May try a 410 plus if my SZ and Sim Max experiments don’t pan out. Ping drivers are always a security blanket for me.

I’ve had the Plus as well as the LST and really liked the Plus. Only problem I had with it was that it was too high spin which is what made me ditch it. Otherwise it was a great head.

I’ve had the Plus as well as the LST and really liked the Plus. Only problem I had with it was that it was too high spin which is what made me ditch it. Otherwise it was a great head.
Yeah, which is why if I end up pulling one out of the hat, I’ll go lower in loft.
I’m sure the Sim or SZ will be fine though. I love the adjustability options of the Cally SZ. Tbh, I’m hoping Cally offers the Mav TripD in their site and allows trade ins for it.

I am in total love with my G410, albeit the plus. I’m getting a much better height on the ball (I’ve always struggled to get any real height on the ball with the driver), and I’m noticing a real distance gain over my old XR16. I’m not a huge hitter, my averages were around 225 with the Callaway. I’m averaging 237 with the Ping and my longest is 283, which for me, is huge! I’m also at 58% fairways which I’ll take as even when I miss, it’s rare I go so far as to end in trouble. I really do love this club (I’ve even grown to like the turbulators).

Just an update on the goings on. HZRDUS Smoke Yellow arrived today. Installed the g410 adapter, cut it to length and gripped it up. Head is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Plan is to install head, get the swing weight to D3 then head to the range. By this time tomorrow one of these drivers will be on the way out the door.

I hear you. I’ve put mine against Mav, Mav Max, EXS220, Cobra SZ, and Xtreme this year. It’s handled them all so far.
Are you going to give either of the SIM’s a crack at dethroning the LST?

Are you going to give either of the SIM’s a crack at dethroning the LST?
Nope. The battles are over. LST is king. Long love the king. ;)

Reactions: MH
Nope. The battles are over. LST is king. Long love the king. ;)

I don’t blame you. I’ve been through the SiM and the Max already and felt like each left something to be desired performance wise.

I’m with you, I tried a bunch and the lst is staying. All my comparisons have been indoor though

LST had arrived today. Installed it on the HZRDUS Smoke Yellow and adjusted it to get to a D3 swing weight. Came out originally to a D5 as is, but a little lead under the butt end of the grip took care of that for now. Played at 45 1/4”. Then off to the range and.....

the LST is the champ. Took them both to the range today and put them through their paces. 25 balls each, all the good and bad were factored in. The Mavrik SZ was a little longer but not nearly as straight as the Ping. Accuracy is what I need bc I can’t seem to get the SZ in the fairway for some reason. I tried all kinds of weight/lead configurations at the range today. I even brought my scale with me so I could make sure to maintain proper swing weight. No matter what I did, the left’s were still there with the SZ which is the shot I hate to see. Anyway, LST is going in the bag and the Mavrik SZ is going to BST.

Back