My one year lower my handicap challenge!

PrinceVlad

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Guys

Like I mentioned in my previous thread I will try to get to the lowest handicap I can in one year after getting into the game after a ten year lay off and just two rounds in the past few weeks. I am well aware that I will not make it to scratch, but I will try to get into single figures.

In this thread and my Facebook page I will give feedback on my progress.

My first full round will be on Thursday. We will be playing at the Els Club at Copperleaf. I have never played there before, but I hear that it is beautiful and tough.

I am still considering which clubs I will be buying and will make the decision in the next two weeks, but at this stage I am liking the Cleveland 588 TT irons and the Srixon Z545 Driver. In the meantime my old fairway woods will have to do.

The next order of business will be to join a club in order to get an official handicap. I want to finalise this in the next two weeks as well.

Training wise I will concentrate on putting and short game at this stage, but mostly putting. In my two previous rounds I played a 88 and 90 (after a too long layoff) and I cant remember one hole on each of the days where I putted only once. In fact there might have been a few where I three putted. Thinking back, when I stopped playing all those years ago I never practised putting.....never. Not even for ten minutes on the practise green before tee off. So I will spend the most time on putting initially because I feel thats where I'll save shots the quickest in the beginning.

I'll keep you posted on the score for Thursday....

Good luck. It'll be fun to follow your progress.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Good luck!

Good luck, it will be interesting to follow!

​I lowered mine 10 strokes since spring.

Start with a Ping G25 driver...a FW finder, also their FW woods are good too...
Ping Tour S or Gorge wedges are very forgiving. These will help approach shots
Perhaps the readers can chime in on irons, after you tell us a bit about your current Hcp, swing, SS, 7i distance...basically were your at.
Putter...try a mallet with rear weight for high MOI... like a taylormade rossa monza spider, or a Ping Candence

Last edited:
Good luck on your journey.

Best of luck to you!

Start with a Ping G25 driver...a FW finder, also their FW woods are good too...
Ping Tour S or Gorge wedges are very forgiving. These will help approach shots
Perhaps the readers can chime in on irons, after you tell us a bit about your current Hcp, swing, SS, 7i distance...basically were your at.
Putter...try a mallet with rear weight for high MOI... like a taylormade rossa monza spider, or a Ping Candence

I have no current handicap. Only played two rounds recently, but was a 12 about ten years back. Never tested any stats, but know I hit the 7 about 165 to 170

Good luck!

Good luck!

Remember, that starting 1/1/16 only rounds that you play with other people can count toward your official handicap.

Good luck. The journey is as good if not better than the final destination

Remember, that starting 1/1/16 only rounds that you play with other people can count toward your official handicap.
Seems like a perfect excuse to play lots of practice rounds playing multiple balls to get even better faster.

Good luck. What you are doing is similar to this guy, although he started out with no golfing experience.

http://thedanplan.com/statistics-2/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the last 2 and 1/2 years Dan's HC has come down 3.2 points while golfing pretty much full time

I believe he quit his job and did this full time if I'm not mistaken.

I think he stated he wasn't athletic at all growing up. I think the average athlete, given that much time to devote to practice, and the resources he had because of it, could probably get closer to scratch.

But, good for him. He gained some popularity, will have some great stories to tell, and should be able to write a book on his experience and make some money.

I think Dan's initial plan was to become a tour pro. Barring a miracle, he won't ever get close to that.
But, I admire the crap out of him for swinging for the fences and giving it a good go.

My one year lower my handicap challenge!

In the last 2 and 1/2 years Dan's HC has come down 3.2 points while golfing pretty much full time

I believe he quit his job and did this full time if I'm not mistaken.

I think he stated he wasn't athletic at all growing up. I think the average athlete, given that much time to devote to practice, and the resources he had because of it, could probably get closer to scratch.

But, good for him. He gained some popularity, will have some great stories to tell, and should be able to write a book on his experience and make some money.

I think Dan's initial plan was to become a tour pro. Barring a miracle, he won't ever get close to that.
But, I admire the crap out of him for swinging for the fences and giving it a good go.

Agree 100%. It shows how hard it is to move the needle on your handicap once you get to that low of a handicap...fupresti pointed that out in a previous post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just know that though you may need to upgrade your irons, the learning curve is usually counter productive for immediate hp lowering. Of course a properly fit setup will do wonders over the golf season be patient as you learn the clubs. Buy the sooner them later!!!

And do your self a big favor. Take those new irons to an indoor simulator. Rent and hour or so and catalog the hell out of those irons for distances. Truly know how far they fly, then when you play trust the numbers. It pays huge dividends in dropping scores.

So I played the first round of my challenge yesterday. I decided to record the stats for each round I play in order to see where the improvement was needed.

I shot a 91.
I hit 4 Greens in Regulation.
I hit 5 Fairways (I count par 3's on the green as a fairway hit). If I exclude the par 3's I only hit 3 fairways. The positives are that although I didn't hit the fairways, the drives weren't far off.
I hit 39 putts.

Apart from putting in the time with my putting, I see from the stats that I will have to hit more Greens in Regulation. Once you hit the GIR's you give yourself a chance for more pars and birdies. On the driving front I want to work on specifically slowing down my swing and see what the effect is on driving accuracy. At this stage I try to hit the driver as hard as I can so I want to try for a slower and smoother swing.

In the next week I plan to play three rounds, so I will see if I can improve and will give feedback on every round.

Cheers
www.facebook.com/chasingscratch

39 putts is a massive amount only hitting 4 greens. I would start there

39 putts with 4 GIR. I would work on getting my chipping game on point. Getting the ball closer to the hole will greatly reduce putts.

Thanks, I'll definitely work on both my putting and chipping

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Round 2 feedback. I played at Silver Lakes Golf Club today. Things didn't go so well.

I shot a 96 with only three fairways hit and 2 greens in regulation. One positive is that I made 33 putts versus the previous round's 39. And I putted only once on a few holes whereas the previoua round I didn't. The Driver was a big problem today...it was all over the place...50% of the drives left and the other 50% right. So I didnt give myself a chance of hitting more greens.

The search for new clubs still continues and yesterday I saw a deal on a complete set of Adams clubs (Speedline Plus) which includes the Driver, fairway woods, two hybrids, irons and a putter for a very goods price. From what I read it is a very good set which is rather forgiving. So I'm leaning towards that now and maybe spend the big money later on.

What do you guys think of these clubs?

The planning is to play another round on Friday. I will give some more feedback then....

Cheers
www.facebook.com/chasingscratch

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Congrats on shaving those 6 putts off the previous round, keep working hard there and chipping. So typical though, you saved 6 putts but shot 5 stokes higher. Golf is hard :beat-up: I have no info on those Adams sticks but I'm sure many in here do. Looking forward to following your progress:clapp:

Back