My Outing Training Thread

ripper

Reaction score
Handicap
The 2012 Outing has really motivated me to pick my game up and get ready. I thought I would start a thread so I could share with you guys what I am doing to prepare, to hear any suggestions you might have and to track my progress. Right now my handicap is about 26 but dropping. I have done some lessons at GolfTec and locally, both of which have helped me.

My plan:

1. I am booked into a 3 day school at the David Leadbetter facility in Orlando at the end of the month. I am hoping this can help me get some swing concepts more clear in mind. I struggle changing between irons and driver/woods and I think its because I dont quite understand some of the conceptual stuff. It doesn't make sense to me, for instance, that both swings are the same. They don't feel the same.

2. I started doing the Power 90 program, the one that leads up to the P90X. I am only on day 3, but like it a lot so far. My wife is also going through the program and helping by cooking healthier foods, both of which will make it easier not to slip.

3. I am going to be practicing at least twice a week at the driving range and focus on my short game. I have been playing a lot of rounds but not practicing and I think that is holding me back.

4. I am going to continue to bother and pester my fellow THPers for tips on how to get better. I have been in contact with a few of you so far and your tips have really helped me quite a lot.

I feel like if I follow all these, I can get quite a bit better and really bring it at the Outing. I know the Outing is about having a great time, but I think its great that it can serve as extra motivation to bring your game to the next level.

Thanks for listening!

You forgot to mention that you'll be teeing it up with yours truly and will see first hand what you will have to contend with to win...I kid of course, it will be fun

You forgot to mention that you'll be teeing it up with yours truly and will see first hand what you will have to contend with to win...I kid of course, it will be fun

You bet, I am really looking forward to playing a round with you later this month. Great course and great company, what else can I ask for?

Great job Rip! :clapp: It sounds like you got several projects going that will lead you in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing that swing in action in a few months :thumb:.

KellyBo started a thread about how one gets to be a single digit handicap and there have been some great posts in there! Some very good tips on improving your game for sure.

Thanks OG, I appreciate the support. I have been trying to play to a number like TC said and it has really helped me. I will definitely be using quite a few of the tips there in that thread.

Good luck Ripper, keep at it and hit us up with updates or when you need a kick in the pants to get back on track.

Good luck, ripper. It's good to have a plan for your journey and I have no doubt you'll see some improvements soon. The good thing about where you're at now is that you can drop a good number of strokes pretty quickly.

Awesome stuff Ripper! I'm confident that you'll stay dedicated and committed to your goals. Have a great time with tadashi and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Good luck Ripper. Goals are good!

This is great to hear Ripper. The outing is more about having a good time, but you will appreciate being more in shape after a while on that driving range, lol. Good luck to you buddy, I can't wait to hear some solid reports from the course.

Good stuff. I'm definitely trying to accomplish some golf and health related goals and I've found the outing to be further inspiration to do so as well. Best of luck!

Steel tappin' from my iPad

Sounds great ripper! It seems you know what you want and have a great plan to go get it. I'm looking forward to hearing the results that come this year.

Thanks for your words of encouragement guys. I just finished another day of Power 90, the muscle building routine. I am really loving how I feel afterwards.

Good luck ripper....sounds like you are doing a great job! I would love to go to that David Leadbetter Academy thing...that sounds fantastic!

I got in some nice range time yesterday and am really focusing in on the 150 yards and in concept as far as practice time goes. I played 9 afterwards and didnt hit it great but saw some progress. I actually holed out a 90 yarder on the 9th hole which felt nice. Got to do some P90 but I only got through about 3/4 and my little guy started throwing up on the couch. I have been trying to incorporate some of the concepts JB is using in his short game thread and it is helping me. It is very similar to a style Duey had let me know about earlier and it just seems to work for me, but I need a lot more practice.

Nice job on the hole-out, ripper. That's one of the better feelings you'll get on the course. Are you planning on taking lessons after the Ledbetter trip?

Lessons, lessons and some more lessons. Practice too.

Nice job on the hole-out, ripper. That's one of the better feelings you'll get on the course. Are you planning on taking lessons after the Ledbetter trip?

Thanks bro! I think it will be important to get a good plan from the Leadbetter guys as to what I need to work on and bring it back to an instructor here. I really want to take advantage of the trip and make sure I follow through afterwards and build on what I learn.

That's a good plan. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Ledbetter academy.

Well, my update today is pretty mixed. I played 18, shot 46 and then a 55 on the back 9. I had two 9s and a 7 on a par 3 on the back which really hurt me. I was hitting it well but I think I got a little too excited with my 46 (the front 9 is usually the harder for me) and things got away from me. I need to keep working on my short game, I think tomorrow I will do what JB did and have a day dedicated to 50 yards and in. I have been reading through his short game thread a lot of the stuff there makes sense to me. I am still doing the P90 and I feel more flexible, but I still need to work hard at it and get into better shape. My handicap went down to 25.9.

We all have those day's Ripper, good front/bad back or vise-versa. Keep your head up, I have no doubt all the hard work will pay off.

Thanks Duey, I will do that. Its nice to have the pat on the back, thanks man!

Keep you chin up Ripper and that short game practice will pay off :clapp:. There are soooooooo many strokes thrown away in the 50 yd in range. If you keep a chart of all the strokes from the short range you would be amazed!

Good luck man, hope you improve.

Keep you chin up Ripper and that short game practice will pay off :clapp:. There are soooooooo many strokes thrown away in the 50 yd in range. If you keep a chart of all the strokes from the short range you would be amazed!

Thanks OG. I went on Sunday and spent about 90 minutes just hitting from 50 yards in, I think it helped me a lot. I need to be doing that every week though. In the meantime, I finished another day of P90 and with a little more weight, feels great.

Back