My Pet Peeves in Golf....

aggiesam1983

Old Fart and an Aggie
Reaction score
Handicap
7 ish
I just want to vent a little about my pet peeves in golf so here I go:

• Fix your pitch marks on the greens, people, it is not that difficult. I bet I fix my pitch mark and at least five others on EVERY green, this is unacceptable and rude. If you are so lazy that you cannot fix your pitch marks then stay at home.
  • Slow play is self explanatory but it actually drove me away from the game for several years. Who has time for five hour rounds of golf? Pick up the pace, people, this is not the PGA tour
  • Sunflower seeds are evil little sees from Satan. If you want to eat sunflower seeds on the golf course at least have the decency and courtesy to NOT spit the shells onto the greens and tee boxes! Have some consideration for others. I honestly think that some of the shell spitters do so just to be A$$HOLES.
  • Fill your divots in the fairways or replace them. Just about every golf course provides sand bottles for this reason, stop being so lazy as to not fill in or replace your divots. If you don't, I pray that every one of your drives ends up in some big divot in the fairway that you or another player ignored. Nobody wants to hit out of a divot after hitting a good drive.
  • Golf is still golf and not a frigging drunkfest and rowdy party. I see far too many times where people are drunk by the end of the round and they are loud and all over the place in their golf carts. There are others playing in the adjacent holes and rowdiness has no place on the golf course.

So there you have it, my Top 5 pet peeves. I suspect most people will agree with every one of them and I contend that if you don't then you are part of the problem with the game today. Bottom line is be considerate of others and respect the course and their property.

I’m always searching around for extra pitch marks on the green when I get up there.

Pet peeve - people leaving their bags or carts in a poor spot while they putt. If it’s not left in position en route to the next tee, it leads to slower play.

Pace of play is interesting. If I'm in a foursome, a 4 1/2 hour round is slow, but not all that painful, if it is a consistent pace. I played in a foursome last week, finished in just about 4 1/2 hours, but the front nine was under two hours, we were moving at our pace, with no one in front of us. The back nine was a different story, we caught two groups on #12, and came to a screeching halt. It took over 2 1/2 hours to play the back. So still 4 1/2 hours for the round, but that back nine was painful, all because one group was absolutely clueless, and courses don't marshall for pace of play around here.

Slow play is absolutely unacceptable
Why do I say.... why is it so slow!
Even with a 4 some, if all 4 of you lose you ball and take 3 min each to look for tour ball you should be done within the 16 min (now) allocated. Pick up the pace!
Pitch marks -Is it that you do not know how to fix them? Jeeez I will teach you. Is it you do not have a pitch mark repair tool - Use a friggin tee ya jack wagon!
Common courtesy, some sense, and understanding YOU are holding up the group. Pick up ya damn snowflake! Do you have too much pride to say “I’m out of this hole”
Go back to chopping wood!
My 2 cents, and then some

I’m always searching around for extra pitch marks on the green when I get up there.
me, too. They just aerated our greens and we couldn't find any of our marks, it was frustrating

I agree with your post. However our course took our sand bottles off the carts. Thus no sand to fill the divots with, but our marshals try to make up for that, but it is really hard to keep up with all the divots during Friday, Saturday and Sunday play. Drunks do not belong on the course and that is something we rarely see at our course, but when we used to play muni courses it was pretty prevalent.

I have a pet peeve that began with the new “flag in the hole while putting” rule.....I’ve noticed guys too lazy to bend over to pull their ball out of the hole....they jerk the pin out while their ball is in the cup, which pops the ball out of the cup.
The problem is the damage it can cause to the edges of the hole.
If you can’t bend over....buy one of those pronged tools that some guys use that attaches to the end of your putter!

Those 5 and not cleaning your crap and trash out of the cart, I'm not your mommy following you around to clean up after your lazy ass! 🤬

Pace of play is interesting. If I'm in a foursome, a 4 1/2 hour round is slow, but not all that painful, if it is a consistent pace. I played in a foursome last week, finished in just about 4 1/2 hours, but the front nine was under two hours, we were moving at our pace, with no one in front of us. The back nine was a different story, we caught two groups on #12, and came to a screeching halt. It took over 2 1/2 hours to play the back. So still 4 1/2 hours for the round, but that back nine was painful, all because one group was absolutely clueless, and courses don't marshall for pace of play around here.

Yesterday's foursome round in the afternoon on a busy Saturday took 4:30. It felt slow and marshals were out trying to speed things up. In front of us was a group of 2 dads, 2 young kids. They looked slow but were never off pace from groups in front of them. That's just the pace of the day. Just had to let it go and play. I had fun. Now the group behind us. They couldn't keep up. I think at one point they were two holes behind us. That's insane. After 9 holes they were invited off the course. I was pleased to see that outcome.

Yesterday's foursome round in the afternoon on a busy Saturday took 4:30. It felt slow and marshals were out trying to speed things up. In front of us was a group of 2 dads, 2 young kids. They looked slow but were never off pace from groups in front of them. That's just the pace of the day. Just had to let it go and play. I had fun. Now the group behind us. They couldn't keep up. I think at one point they were two holes behind us. That's insane. After 9 holes they were invited off the course. I was pleased to see that outcome.
In all my years, I've only been to a course around here ONCE where a marshall actually did something worthwhile to speed up play. On that occasion he had the group that was WAY OFF PACE skip two holes, and what do you know, the pace for the rest of the day was back to normal. Courses around here, if they even have marshalls, do not enforce pace of play. I think they are afraid to hurt any snowflake feelings, and the guys they usually get to be marshalls are just doing it for free golf, so don't want to start any confrontations.

Me too, I’m fixing others’ pitch marks while playing partners are putting. A while back I repaired 15 on the first hole, not a good start to the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just want to vent a little about my pet peeves in golf so here I go:

• Fix your pitch marks on the greens, people, it is not that difficult. I bet I fix my pitch mark and at least five others on EVERY green, this is unacceptable and rude. If you are so lazy that you cannot fix your pitch marks then stay at home.
  • Slow play is self explanatory but it actually drove me away from the game for several years. Who has time for five hour rounds of golf? Pick up the pace, people, this is not the PGA tour
  • Sunflower seeds are evil little sees from Satan. If you want to eat sunflower seeds on the golf course at least have the decency and courtesy to NOT spit the shells onto the greens and tee boxes! Have some consideration for others. I honestly think that some of the shell spitters do so just to be A$$HOLES.
  • Fill your divots in the fairways or replace them. Just about every golf course provides sand bottles for this reason, stop being so lazy as to not fill in or replace your divots. If you don't, I pray that every one of your drives ends up in some big divot in the fairway that you or another player ignored. Nobody wants to hit out of a divot after hitting a good drive.
  • Golf is still golf and not a frigging drunkfest and rowdy party. I see far too many times where people are drunk by the end of the round and they are loud and all over the place in their golf carts. There are others playing in the adjacent holes and rowdiness has no place on the golf course.

So there you have it, my Top 5 pet peeves. I suspect most people will agree with every one of them and I contend that if you don't then you are part of the problem with the game today. Bottom line is be considerate of others and respect the course and their property.
Im with you. I was taught golf by people who respected the history and traditions of the game and who taught me proper etiquette and just how to act right on the course. Unfortunately, not everyone had someone to teach them all that and what we've got is over what you get.
I think that for some, golf is their escape or time out with their buddies away from their wives, which is why you get the general bad behavior that you sometimes see (blaring loud music, acting like a drunk idiot, etc).
I also think that some feel like its not their job to replace/fill their divot and to fix the ball marks on the green. Some feel thats the job of the greenskeeper.
I also think that some of those who are slow players feel that they paid their greens fees and are entitled to take however long they want. They dont believe in appropriate pace of play. Im actually fine with people who are slow, as long as they let faster groups through. IMO, theres nothing worse than a slow group who seemingly has no concern for holding up the rest of course and dont offer to let anyone play through. I had this happen to a couple weeks ago. I was walking and the other 3 in my foursome all were riding in carts and there was a group ahead of us, an elderly man and 3 teenage boys and the entire course was stacked up behind them, yet they seems to be completely oblivious to it, didnt try to pick up their pace, nor did they at any point offer to let us play through. Im fine if your slow, Im not fine when youre slow and dont offer me the courtesy to play through.

Slow play and ball marks.
My wife and I went for a round a few weeks back. We rode, and played behind a foursome that walked.
I teed off on hole 1 at like 330. Teed off on #3 at 4:25. We picked up and went to hole 4 at 4:35 when I still hadn’t been able to hit my approach, out of fear I wouldn’t be able to get through 18 before darkness. Never saw them the rest of the round, group in front was 2 holes ahead. Slow play I can handle. Very slow play can be tiresome. Glacial pace is the ultimate fun murderer.

Pet peeve - people leaving their bags or carts in a poor spot while they putt. If it’s not left in position en route to the next tee, it leads to slower play.
I agree with those listed... This one is tough and something I'm not good at. If I'm short of the green and pin is in the back, it doesnt make sense to hit a chip move the push cart and them hit a putt, so generally not moving and grabbing a putter for the shot. Let me known if you have suggestions in this case. Otherwise agree to out it between the green and the tee... It limits the steps.

In all my years, I've only been to a course around here ONCE where a marshall actually did something worthwhile to speed up play. On that occasion he had the group that was WAY OFF PACE skip two holes, and what do you know, the pace for the rest of the day was back to normal. Courses around here, if they even have marshalls, do not enforce pace of play. I think they are afraid to hurt any snowflake feelings, and the guys they usually get to be marshalls are just doing it for free golf, so don't want to start any confrontations.
Sometimes the bold is the case, but sometimes it rests with the course management themselves. I was a marshal at a local course for seven years, just doing it for free golf. It wasn't that I didn't want to start confrontations - I didn't engage people because I knew the pro shop/course management didn't have my back and it wasn't worth it. One of our marshals told a group to speed up because they were almost two holes behind and they cursed him out and told him to f*** off. He booted them off the course, they went to the pro shop and complained, and the pro shop manager apologized to them, said he would speak to the marshal, and let them back out on the course. And of course, they rubbed it in the marshal's face next time he came around.

We had a league that was notorious for their disregard of the course - they'd park their carts practically on the greens, never rake bunkers or fill their divots/fix ball marks, etc. The residents/members who live around the course would call the pro shop and complain about the stuff they were doing, but when we were sent out to straighten them out they would totally disregard us and give us a ration of s**t, then complain to the pro shop about us and the pro shop manager would always take their side. We went over his head and complained about it, and management told us they didn't want to drive customers away, so take it easy out there.

If my words don't have any weight, they're not worth saying. Why bother? Make no mistake, we wanted to enforce the rules because we also played there, and wanted the course to be run the way it should so it flowed smoothly and was taken care of properly while we were playing too. But once all that nonsense started happening, all of us marshals just drove around the course waving at people like we were on a Rose Parade float, or found a shady tree somewhere to hide under. Park on the green? Knock yourself out, enjoy your round. Leave a bunker full of footprints from three guys? Have a great day, sir! Somebody complains about a group that's three holes behind and backing up the whole course? Thank you for letting me know, be sure to tell the pro shop about it after your round, nothing I can do. There's no sense trying to enforce things that the course itself isn't willing to enforce.

OTOH, one of the other courses we semi-regularly play is very regimented. The marshals are active out on the course and have no problem enforcing pace of play and other rules violations, and if you back talk them you'll get tossed off the course - the pro shop/management back them 100% and in particularly egregious cases, they've permabanned people from playing there. People don't screw around on that course because they know they're serious about things.

That’s tough - Before the chip, I would probably walk past the ball and leave pushcart about halfway to the pin on the side where the next tee is. Bring my wedge and my putter. No real good answer but that’s what I would probably do.

Fixing divots on the green is my big peeve. I don't know how many I fix extra a round, it's not that hard.

Add un-raked bunkers. Many don't rake the bunker after playing out of them, don't understand that. Its very simple and takes very little time & effort.

Sometimes the bold is the case, but sometimes it rests with the course management themselves. I was a marshal at a local course for seven years, just doing it for free golf. It wasn't that I didn't want to start confrontations - I didn't engage people because I knew the pro shop/course management didn't have my back and it wasn't worth it. One of our marshals told a group to speed up because they were almost two holes behind and they cursed him out and told him to f*** off. He booted them off the course, they went to the pro shop and complained, and the pro shop manager apologized to them, said he would speak to the marshal, and let them back out on the course. And of course, they rubbed it in the marshal's face next time he came around.

We had a league that was notorious for their disregard of the course - they'd park their carts practically on the greens, never rake bunkers or fill their divots/fix ball marks, etc. The residents/members who live around the course would call the pro shop and complain about the stuff they were doing, but when we were sent out to straighten them out they would totally disregard us and give us a ration of s**t, then complain to the pro shop about us and the pro shop manager would always take their side. We went over his head and complained about it, and management told us they didn't want to drive customers away, so take it easy out there.

If my words don't have any weight, they're not worth saying. Why bother? Make no mistake, we wanted to enforce the rules because we also played there, and wanted the course to be run the way it should so it flowed smoothly and was taken care of properly while we were playing too. But once all that nonsense started happening, all of us marshals just drove around the course waving at people like we were on a Rose Parade float, or found a shady tree somewhere to hide under. Park on the green? Knock yourself out, enjoy your round. Leave a bunker full of footprints from three guys? Have a great day, sir! Somebody complains about a group that's three holes behind and backing up the whole course? Thank you for letting me know, be sure to tell the pro shop about it after your round, nothing I can do. There's no sense trying to enforce things that the course itself isn't willing to enforce.

OTOH, one of the other courses we semi-regularly play is very regimented. The marshals are active out on the course and have no problem enforcing pace of play and other rules violations, and if you back talk them you'll get tossed off the course - the pro shop/management back them 100% and in particularly egregious cases, they've permabanned people from playing there. People don't screw around on that course because they know they're serious about things.
Absolutely what I was talking about. I didn't mean my comment that you put in bold as a knock on the marshalls, they are doing it for free golf, and aren't going to get into any confrontations when the course management won't back them up. I'm pretty sure that the one course I mentioned, where the marshall took action to get everyone back on pace, was one where the marshalls are actually paid employees.

A couple more that I was reminded of today while playing....

The cart path by the tee box is to actually park your carts, why do people insist on parking off of the cart path?

The next one would have set me off had I seen the jackhole that did it, a 9-10 inch divot taken out of the green! I saw two greens with divots in them today. Absolutely unacceptable behavior!

f88e68dc8599c4bbc21197099357dc04.jpg
93c91b40be4db3fc85a7602577581fe1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My pet peeves are concerned with the green.

Ball marks aren’t that difficult to fix. They even make cool little tools to help. Given that, the greens should not resemble the surface of the moon.

The greens are not ashtrays for anyone’s cigar ashes.

Life is too short for me to get peeved by things on the golf course.Everyday life has enough problems of it's ow. I golf to go out and forget aboutall that. Unrepaired ball marks? Don't worry, ill get them for you Sunflower seeds? I probably would have missed that putt anyways Although people should be mindful and clean up after themselves the world is an imperfect place but it's not going to ruin my day.

Inconsiderate slow play. I have no problem with someone playing slow, IMO know when I first started, it was a struggle to finish in under 5 hours. But for example, today. I played as single and blew through the front in 1:15 cause there was nobody ahead of me. But when I got to 11, I got stuck behind a 3some with 2 2somes ahead of them. The 3some and first 2some kindly and gladly let me play through, but the second 2some was two oblivious older gentlemen who took forever to pick a club, then stand over their ball for 5 minutes just to shank it, reach in their pocket and grab and another ball and hit again. There was one hole where I finished, drove up to the next tee box around the corner, and their sitting in their carts talking, had not teed off yet, and there was nobody ahead me. And when I pulled up, they said “we’ll try not to hold you up.” It took me over 2 hours to finish back nine playing behind them.

Back