My Recent Club Champion Fitting Experience - I may be getting some new clubs.....

How many iron shafts did they have you hit? If the Paderson's were the best and you tested a lot--Then you have a decision because that's a big upgrade cost (of course, it's possible money ain't a thing for you, in which case upgrade away!).

However, If you didn't test a lot of shafts , i'd be trying to hit a few more and see if you can get similar performance with other ones. I dont know the graphite selection but Callaway tends to offer a ton of zero upcharge shafts, among the most of anyone.

I just feel like with everything on the market, that's a steep upcharge price for shafts. If the money matters

I also would be very hesitant to SST Pure anything. Have seen a lot of opinions on that and many of them are that it doesn't do much, and that might be being generous.

Not trying to come off wrong here--Just trying to look out for a fellow golfer!

No problem. I appreciate all the feedback.
I think I hit 4 or 5 different shafts (I believe a good fitter can zero in on pretty quickly the shaft that works best).
Your comment about the stock shafts is a good one though. I'll ask about that on Monday.
Given that I'm buying these clubs with some inherited money (and I'm pretty blessed financially on my own.....)
And knowing my somewhat OCD personality - I'd probably be willing to pay the premium even for only a marginally better upgraded/performing shaft.
Something about knowing I have absolutely the best combo in my hands (more a mental assist than physical one - especially for a 9 handicapper!)
But still a question worth asking!
And I think I'm coming to the same conclusion on the puring.

No problem. I appreciate all the feedback.
I think I hit 4 or 5 different shafts (I believe a good fitter can zero in on pretty quickly the shaft that works best).
Your comment about the stock shafts is a good one though. I'll ask about that on Monday.
Given that I'm buying these clubs with some inherited money (and I'm pretty blessed financially on my own.....)
And knowing my somewhat OCD personality - I'd probably be willing to pay the premium even for only a marginally better upgraded/performing shaft.
Something about knowing I have absolutely the best combo in my hands (more a mental assist than physical one - especially for a 9 handicapper!)
But still a question worth asking!
And I think I'm coming to the same conclusion on the puring.

Cool cool--Most important is that it works and makes you happy!

If it's the best shaft for you and financially not a big deal--Than for sure get them and enjoy them, because as you say it will probably gnaw away at you if you don't!

I have played shafts that have been PUREd as well as shafts that haven’t been. I look at it with the view that any shaft manufacturer is going to say it has little value. If they were to say it was beneficial, they would essentially be saying that their product is not as good as it could be, with an inherent imperfection in it. I look at it as one more thing that could make my clubs perform better, what that is worth to a person is kind of dependent on that particular person. When I am fitting someone, I explain the process and if they say yes, great, if they say no, I don’t think they are crazy for skipping it.

I really like that Club Champion let’s you split up the fitting in 2 sessions. I had a similar experience where we spent a bunch of time on my irons, and needed to come back fresh for a separate session on the woods. Over the 2 sessions it may have been 4-5 hours where I think it should have been 3 hours - fitter didn’t even suggested any type of charge for the extra time.

The cost of the build… that’s a separate story but certainly was very satisfied with the service.

I have played shafts that have been PUREd as well as shafts that haven’t been. I look at it with the view that any shaft manufacturer is going to say it has little value. If they were to say it was beneficial, they would essentially be saying that their product is not as good as it could be, with an inherent imperfection in it. I look at it as one more thing that could make my clubs perform better, what that is worth to a person is kind of dependent on that particular person. When I am fitting someone, I explain the process and if they say yes, great, if they say no, I don’t think they are crazy for skipping it.

Interesting. So you're a fitter? Yes, you make a lot of sense about the manufacturer response.
Did you notice the difference with the pured shafts?
So it sounds like your take is more along the line "that it might help and definitely won't hurt" sort of thing. So go for it if it fits financially.
You're my first positive response on puring.
Thanks for the perspective.

Sorry to hear about your parents! It sounds like you had an awesome experience at CC. Good luck with the fairway and hybrid.

The apex iron family is incredible. If you end up ordering them, I hope they work just as well as they did at the fitting!

I really like that Club Champion let’s you split up the fitting in 2 sessions. I had a similar experience where we spent a bunch of time on my irons, and needed to come back fresh for a separate session on the woods. Over the 2 sessions it may have been 4-5 hours where I think it should have been 3 hours - fitter didn’t even suggested any type of charge for the extra time.

The cost of the build… that’s a separate story but certainly was very satisfied with the service.

Yes, it was actually the fitter who suggested we break up the session. He knew I lived locally.
And he could see me beginning to struggle with my swing.
I'm sure his biggest concern is getting things right even if it takes a little longer.
He'd probably would've ended up spending more time down the road to fix things anyways if he rushed me through.
How does that saying go...."better two measure twice and cut once....."

Sorry to hear about your parents! It sounds like you had an awesome experience at CC. Good luck with the fairway and hybrid.

The apex iron family is incredible. If you end up ordering them, I hope they work just as well as they did at the fitting!

Thanks for the kind words.
I actually had the original Apex irons back in 2013 when they first came out - and I loved them.
The TXG guys moved me to the Tilteist AP3's when they fitted my back in 2018.
So I'm excited to potentially be coming back to that Callaway Apex family.
I was excited when the fitting took me in that direction....and so decidedly.......

Thanks for the kind words.
I actually had the original Apex irons back in 2013 when they first came out - and I loved them.
The TXG guys moved me to the Tilteist AP3's when they fitted my back in 2018.
So I'm excited to potentially be coming back to that Callaway Apex family.
I was excited when the fitting took me in that direction....and so decidedly.......

When I was fit for my Apex 19s, I originally ordered the Ping i500s because I was enamored with the distance. I took a look at the distance consistency and made the call the next day to change the order to the Callaways. So happy I did.

When I was fit for my Apex 19s, I originally ordered the Ping i500s because I was enamored with the distance. I took a look at the distance consistency and made the call the next day to change the order to the Callaways. So happy I did.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. Makes me feel even better!

It is good to know when you go through a fitting and pay for it that they're giving you the right Club. I had the advantage of renting the zx5 with the modus 105s shafts for two weeks of golf play and love them. They seem to swing like my Ping Zing with a much better feel and slightly better distance. If it were just that I would not have bothered, but the feel through deep rough was just phenomenal. I did this before my fitting, so when I went through the fitting and he said the zx-5's were the best for me I just had a big old smile on my face. Now I just need the pricing to go down on used clubs, it's just outrageous out there

Sorry about the loss of your parents. In terms of shafts I think they would want what is best for you so I say with go with what performed the best. Sounds like you play a lot and keep them for like eternity (3-4 years 😉) you deserve the best.

I am a little it older than you and I look at that since I am on the back 9 of my golf career I would want the best fitting combination.

Sorry about the loss of your parents. In terms of shafts I think they would want what is best for you so I say with go with what performed the best. Sounds like you play a lot and keep them for like eternity (3-4 years 😉) you deserve the best.

I am a little it older than you and I look at that since I am on the back 9 of my golf career I would want the best fitting combination.

Yes. I like to keep clubs for 4 or 5 years.
If I do that, I think my next fitting might be to move to senior shafts!

Last edited:
This sounds like a great fitting experience with really solid information!

The only thing I would question on their suggestion would be puring the Paderson shafts? There are guys here who know way more than me but I thought their design doesn't benefit from puring. That would save $35/club.

I recently had a fitting with TrueSpec in Palm Dessert and they suggested puring the shafts, but then after they looked them up, they found that they could not be pured because they were too light/thin. Just wondering if this might be your case.

Your fitting sounds very similar to what mine was like.

My fitter could not find a better iron than the ones I was gaming (T300 with stock senior flex) and did not charge me for that part of the fitting. They also performed better with the stock shafts than all the other shafts that he matched the T300 head with.

Interesting. So you're a fitter? Yes, you make a lot of sense about the manufacturer response.
Did you notice the difference with the pured shafts?
So it sounds like your take is more along the line "that it might help and definitely won't hurt" sort of thing. So go for it if it fits financially.
You're my first positive response on puring.
Thanks for the perspective.

Yes, I’ve been fitting clubs for 20 years, and I have been in facilities that offer SST Pure as well as places that did not offer it. I personally wouldn’t be able to tell you in a blind test what shaft has or hasn’t been PUREd. I look at it as an extra layer of assurance that the clubs are optimized, almost like balancing tires. If it is not a financial deal breaker, I would lean towards it from a personal perspective as it is one less variable in the performance of the clubs.

I have a good friend here in north Texas that asked me about new clubs....We talked for a bit and he still playing late 90's tech. After a conversation, he wants a full bag and I told him, Club Champion is the way to go. He made the appointment and went yesterday, He was gob-smacked with the service and would not stop raving this morning at the course. He could not believe the service and went all the way with the exception of the putter.

Sounds like a great experience with some very good results. I don't know a golfer alive that wouldn't want 15 extra yards with a 6 iron AND better dispersion. It is pricey but that can only be answered by your budget. Remember, you are saving money on not buying the driver and getting half off on the fitting. That covers the cost of the shafts because the irons will cost that much regardless.

Maybe try another shaft with similar profile?? Not sure where that would go or even what it is. I wouldn't personally pay for SST Pure given the mixed results I've seen. Others can weigh in on that more than me. This massive gain in distance on the irons is going to make a hybrid fitting to fill the gaps very interesting. Can't wait to see how it ends up!

The other decision I'll have to make is the setup of my bag.
If my 6i is now truly a 175-180 club. That means my 5i sb a 190 or so club.
With my driver dialed in at 240-250 - I would think I would want a 3w in the 220ish range.
On the other end of the bag he has me fit into a 52 and 56 degree wedge.
So do I look for 2 hybrids between my 5i and 3w? And have my highest lofted wedge be a 56 degree?
Or do I put 1 hybrid between the 5i and 3w and add an extra wedge - going with a 60 degree lob wedge - now having 3 wedges (in addition to an AW) - at 52, 56 and 60 degrees?
Hmmmm.......
I'd go for just one hybrid that goes around 200. Unless you regularly play lots of shots on your courses to exactly 210 yards? But I doubt it. Can always smooth a 3W in those situations.

An extra wedge would always be more beneficial IMO.

Seems like a big upcharge for shafts and then to add the puring. I can't imagine they'll make enough difference to justify the cost, but I have a budget.

Sounds like you're very happy with the fitting! In the end, that's all that's important!! 👍🏻

Looking forward to seeing what you choose :cool:

6i - 160-165 yds.
240-250 with carry with reasonable dispersion with driver

i’m scratching my head. 160-165 carry with a 6i and 240-250 carry (so probably 270-280 total) with driver and you were fit into R flex ?
Do you have a crazy smooth transition?
That seems solidly into S flex range. Unless those Padersons play really stiff to flex. Don’t know anything about them.

what driver shaft and flex do you play ?

Last edited:
6i - 160-165 yds.
240-250 with carry with reasonable dispersion with driver

i’m scratching my head. 160-165 carry with a 6i and 240-250 carry (so probably 270-280 total) with driver and you were fit into R flex ?
Do you have a crazy smooth transition?
That seems solidly into S flex range. Unless those Padersons play really stiff to flex. Don’t know anything about them.

what driver shaft and flex do you play ?

My 240-250 distance INCLUDED carry.
Driver is a Taylor Made M6 10.5 degree, Accra Shaft R-flex

Thanks for creating this post. Just solidifies my decision to go to CC the next time I’m in the mood for new sticks.

Seems like a big upcharge for shafts and then to add the puring. I can't imagine they'll make enough difference to justify the cost, but I have a budget.

Sounds like you're very happy with the fitting! In the end, that's all that's important!! 👍🏻

Looking forward to seeing what you choose :cool:

Here's my cost analysis of having CC build the clubs vs me sourcing the components and finding someone else to build:
For 5i to AW only = 7 irons
Assumes I decline the "puring" option (which I'm leaning towards at the moment)
No taxes included.
Let me know if I've made a mistake in my logic.

1.Club Champion Quoted Price:
Callaway DCB Irons: 7 x $185/ea = $1,295
Paderson Shafts: 7 x $135/ea = $945
Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Grips: 7 x $13.69/ea = $96
Fitting Cost (50% discount for purchasing thru CC) = $163
Total Cost of Club Champion Built Irons = $2,499

2.My Cost if I sourced the clubs myself and found someone to build:

Callaway DCB Irons (per Callaway website): 7 x $185 = $1,295
Paderson Shafts: 7 x $80 (per Paderson website) = $560
Shipping Cost of Shafts: (per Paderson website) = $23
Golf Pride CP2 Grips from Dick's near me: 7 x $10.49 = $73
Cost to have someone build: $20 club x 7 = $140 (based on average of club build cost I saw on the internet)
Fitting Cost (no discount since no CC Club Purchase) = $325
Total Cost of me Sourcing and Building Clubs $2,416

Last edited:
Thanks for creating this post. Just solidifies my decision to go to CC the next time I’m in the mood for new sticks.

You're welcome. I'm actually learning a lot, both thru my fitting experience AND thru this thread (it's making feel better about my CC experience)

I’m definitely considering CC for irons.

Back